What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acclimating plants to outside

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
We all have different approaches to acclimating plants from inside to ouside. Do you think it makes a difference whether we try initiating it when it's in the evening, when the sun is less direct and temps are declining or first thing in the morning?

Jim,
I think it's better to acclimate them by putting them somewhere that gets less sun that their final location, and slowly shifting them over to receive more sun each day.

The evening adn water them well (tray maybe?).

I prefer taking them out immediately before wet weather. But the weather doesn't always cooperate. If it can't be raining, I make sure it isn't an extra windy day. And they start their summer vacation in complete shade.

I like mornings or late evenings, 'cause they are usually cooler and less stress (my opinion) on the plant.

LOL you got the "we all have different ways" right at least Jeff
biggrin.gif
(that's a joke for jimscott)
Here in Dan-land I take stuff out in the mid-afternoon and put it on my porch, the lattice and stuff makes it so the plants get a mix of sun and shade as the sun moves, every day I let them get more and more sun until they can take it from about 10:00 am til 4 pm without problems, then I know they're ready

And with some less delicate plants I do what (I think it was) scottychaos does, just put them out and let the weak leaves fry off (works bets with woody or stem-succulent stuff, no good for tiny seedlings and the like)

And there ya have it folks - nothing consistent with anything! Gotta love it.

I am inclined to begin acclimating plants to the outside, during the warmer months, in the evening. That will give them a good 12 hours of gettig used to being outside with minimal light shock.

I have the experience of seeing a Darlingtonia wither one summer afternoon. I am trying to acclimate two binatas and two Sarrs., having taken them outside two nights ago.

Yes before wet weather is best.

I would say do with the morning or evening. With the morning, leave it out longer, with the evening , move the time when you put the plant out earlier, then take it back in the same time in the evening. That way it will receive increasing hours of sunlight like Schloaty says.

Back