What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wave by-bye to our oaks

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date
That's really bad news. We have millions of oak trees here not to mention lots of gardens and landscaped properties.
confused.gif

Thanks for the warning.

as the dominant genus of trees in our eastern forests this is really really bad news. im trying to to think bout it

Within less than a year, the CT agency in charge of responding to this kind of thing went from trying to track every potential host plant brought into the state to throwing their hands up and hoping for the best. Too many plants were brought in and no one knows who ended up with them.

AHHH s***. All our huge 300 year old oaks are screwed now.

Thank god for the nursery industry...bringing us crap for time immemorial..........

not the same

my children may neve know the joy of planting a acorn and watching it grow trhought their lifetime to stand resolute trough the centuries when they're all gone.

I officialy hate nurserys now for taking that from me and my future children

Well they might as well turn Tallahassee into farmland now. It will have zero trees if this hits.

Apparently...Sudden Oak Death is affecting Red Oaks only, so, your White Oaks will be fine. I haven't heard what it does to Live Oaks, though.

I think the Florida Ag. said it killed them also.

wow, you all hate nursuries? don't tell phil and mike. you know, they own a nursery, so does Tony, and quite a few ther nice people on these boards.

...i dont really...

People say stuff they don't mean when they're mad, but you can't blame it all on the nursuries. Why the heck would we be importing Oak anyway?

first off it was a scapegoat for me angrythat state officials let inspecitions slip and told the nursers it was OK> to bring those plants is, they were supposedly 'checked' for the disease first

No, I don't hate nurseries. I DO dislike the fact that so many invasive and destructive organisms are imported into this country so some of them can turn a quick buck. Water hyacinth, anyone? Purple Loosestrife? Rhamnus Cathartica?

Kudzu and Asian Lady Beetles were imported by our government!

Sudden Oak Death is an organism that came from China(from what I have been told) on host plants shipped here by the nursery industry, because apparently, no one did their home work.

http://www.hgic.umd.edu/pubs/online/suddenoakdeath_ncipmc.pdf

It shows the power of the nursery and landscaping industry.  Eastern states should have banned susceptible nursery stock from the west coast when the problem was first discovered.  After all, California prohibits plants from other places.  But the wholesalers and the biggest retailers buy from west coast mega-growers and there was no way they were willing to lose their suppliers.

thats why i said i hate them. I jont hate i terrebly dislike ok

Back