What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the goths among us?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
Okay...
I never considered myself goth but...
I grew up in a small town in the south and always felt like i belonged elsewere. I dress all in black (mainly for the fact that I can't match other colors and feel as though I always clash). Musically, I listen to a wide variety (classical, - country, blues, rock, industrial --I love skinny puppy, ministry, 10,000 homo djs). And working in a kitchen I am forced to listen to an absurd amount of mexican bands. I also have a nail peircing though my lip. I don't know whether this makes me "goth" or not ( I like the fact that I'm known as Kahnli --a person-- and not some by subculture that I represent). I am fortunate enough, however, to have many goth friends.

as far as the  arsenic thing goes... :p I used to date a goth girl who was black (still is most likely) and I don't think she ever engaged in anything to make herself more pale.
Hippies? I think the goth would've been the Hell's Angels at their party (the edgy Black Sabbath punks leaning against the wall).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ May 13 2005,3:07)]little Marilyn Manson wannabes or pretend vampires.
Marilyn Manson, and his fans, and very far removed from true Goth..they are in fact the epitome of poser Goth..

Marilyn Manson is a genious, he found out an easy way to seperate thousands of gullible children from their money (their parents money actually).
His whole schtick exists only as a means for children to shock their parents.."hey, lets be as shocking as possible so that kids can be "into" us and have a way to rebel against their parents..and we can make lots of money doing it"
its all a very lame act..its just a show, which exists only for the purpose of making money..
please dont ever equate Marilyn Manson with Goth..there is no connection at all..
Scot

Well, I feel I must stick up for MM. He is indeed very intelligent. And he knows exactly what he's doing. I wouldn't call him or his followers goth poseurs, they are another genre entirely. I admire the testicles it takes to dress up like that and perform. In addition, and most importantly...the music is decent.

Peter Gabriel dressed up in outlandish costumes when he was in Genesis.

MM's just doing what Alice Cooper was doing in the "olden days", and Ozzy before that, and Screamin' Jay Hawkins before that, and Gene Krupa before that.

Gene Krupa(the first rock star) was Keith Moon before Keith Moon was Keith Moon.

Great idea for a thread, jimscott!

I don't dress Gothic, nor do I listen to Gothic music, but I do very much consider myself Goth. It's not really how you dress or appear; it's a way of thinking.

I'm a real pessimistic, and get depressed very easily. I've been disappointed a lot in my young life, and it's contributed to my current Goth-ticity(made it up. I like to make up words). Sometimes I am sadistic, and sometimes I am a little creepy. But I wear normal colored clothes and no white powder or black lipstick.

One thing that makes my friends think I'm Goth is that I like to stare at things creepily. I can make someone squirm so easily because I can control my emotions and hardly ever laugh. And I often stare off into space and am completely oblivious to my surroundings.

I also am an average person in my fears. I'm afraid of many things, actually, and I am NOT nocturnal, like many people envision Goths are. I actually don't like to be out after 8pm without my parents, because when I was nine I had a nightmare about it, and me talking about it for longer just makes me more scared. I'm afraid of many urban legends like Bloody Mary, the Candyman, the Mothman, and the girl from the Ring (the fact that we have a well in our backyard doesn't help quell my fears) and I don't like to be able to see into dark spaces. I watched a movie about the Boogieman when I was really young, and now I don't like to look under the bed. I sleep with the door to my bedroom open, and with the hall light on, and I don't like to take showers when it's nighttime. All in all, I just want to say that being Goth doesn't mean you can't be afraid of scary things.
Let me just say that Marilyn Manson freaks me out.

If I could contol time I would make the "Day" be from 10 pm to 10 am.

Also, I have to say that there are many versions of Goth, and the newer ones CANNOT be called fake. Being Goth can be what others described in this thread, or it can be how someone feels she/he is. But it's not fair to say that maybe how I think I am Goth is fake, and Marilyn Manson can do whatever he wants.

Goth is almost a religion. People can be Goth however they want, just like people can be Christian or Jewish however they want. You don't have to go to church to be Christian, and you don't have to have piercings or read gothic novels or believe in Satan to be Gothic.

I just don't like the "poseur" label. It sucks. It's a judgement made by people who THINK they're cool upon people they don't think are cool. How cool is it to conform to your peers? How different are you?

No matter how cool you think you are....guesswhat? there are people light-years cooler than you can ever hope to be. Who has the energy to be hip? Not me, that's for sure.

Seems like the harder a person tries to stand out from the crowd, the more they blend in with their peers. One step forward, two steps back.

I am a goth-ish, not gothic. I dress in black and mesh and chain, and have a fancy for snakes, and write poetry and draw, but i dont much listen to music and my major isnt the-mourning-of-life, its herbology, and i have no tattoos and only one set of ear piercings. I couldnt be considered 'fake' for not adhearing to some dark code, because im not trying to be gothic, i am only fowling what i like. black and silver just happen to be my favorite colors. my hair is bright purple not because i want to stand out, but because i think purple hair rocks.

a person can be gothic and themselves at the same time. it may take a bit of clashing ('hmm, black dragon statue or brightly flowering herb?'), but it can be done, and shouldn't be frowned upon as posing. Every person has a right to be themselves.

And hey, why do people think it so odd to want to make one self pale? High-class women have been doing it all through time. (though poison on the skin isnt needed, jurt a bit of lemon, peroxide, and glycerine!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yuri_WIldcat @ May 16 2005,5:39)]black and silver just happen to be my favorite colors.
Are you also an Oakland Raider fan?
smile_m_32.gif

I guess I relate to goths alot. I rarely smile or laugh or talk alot, not because I feel crappy, but because that's just not how I am. Unless I'm with my friends, I'm seclusive. I stare off into space alot and I have a weird, messed-up, dry, sarcastic sense of humor and a vengeance against life. I rarely use lights in rooms.. I dunno if that's a goth-like thing or just me, but.. bright rooms annoy the hell out of me. The only lights ever on in my room are my fluorescent bulb in my CP tank and my TV. I never use the light in the bathroom.. the nightlight my grandfather puts there for some unknown reason is enough. Even without it I wouldn't need it, because I've lived in this house my whole life.. I know it and I don't need to use vision to get around in it. Plus, I don't like to waste stuff like electricity. It irritates me how, every single day, my grandparents leave lights on when they leave a room or turn lights on they don't need. You don't need those ceiling lights on in the kitchen all day!! Or anywhere else! I could save them SO much money if they'd quit turning lights and sinks and stuff right back on when I turn them off. Lots of people think I'm messed-up (in negative and positive ways, depending on the person).. I'm pretty morbid and I love blood and gore. I sketch alot.. CPs and horses, mostly. Usually I make the stuff I draw wicked-cool looking, not just ordinary VFTs or grazing horses. I make CP sketches have dark black shading and coloration with accentuated features, along with the horses I draw. They're usually pretty fierce. And I have no problem with wearing black. It's one of my favorite colors. If I had enough black, I'd probably wear all black alot. But I usually just wear dark clothes.. never pastels or bright colors. And NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER pink. I'm not a bubbly, happy-go-lucky person.. normally pretty blank when it comes to emotions. I get this deep feeling of impending doom sometimes.. it's happened to me twice. I have no idea what that was about. And when I get mad, I get MAD, violent urges and all.. I usually end up punching one of my bedroom walls multiple times (they're concrete, not that flimsy paper-thin plaster crap), which explains why two of my knuckles on my right hand are wayyy flatter than the same knuckles on my left hand. And when I'm depressed I just kinda go numb to everything.

And that's how I believe I'm pretty goth-like. And you're either with me or against me.

Perhaps one of you could shed some light on the word "Hetian" (sp?) I've heard association between goth and hetian but am not sure what a hetian really is.

The MM thing was mostly sarcasm and a phase that seemed to pass with his AntiChrist album. The vampire comment on the other hand I do know of a few who are vampyric/romanticists/necromancers so they claim and I personally find it kinda ........not sure what I would call it but to each their own. Of course thats based on the "fact" that vampyres aren't real - so to speak.

Well, pink is sometimes, when combined with black, considered punk-gothic. And I love to draw the heads of people I don't like in the traps of a VFT. Maybe I'm not as Goth as I think I am, because I have no problem with wearing pink, I don't even have my ears pierced, and my hair is a normal color, but I feel like a Goth. Most of the time I have no emotion, and when I do, it's usually depression or anger. And I've always wanted to have a big punching bag filled with chunks of Kevin's(a boy I don't like, who jimscott should know) body that I cut myself. It's been a dark, morbid dream of mine.

Flytrapgurl, meet VFT_lover123! Not identical, but certainly similar!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I'm not about to read this entire thread its crazy long.

I'm not goth. But I am "night dweller" for the most part. I don't listen to goth music.. and the only light on in my room is my reef tank and my computer...and tv that is assuming its on.

According to some of the criteria in here... at least a fifth of the planet must be goths.

Not a big fan of artificial light, here, or any colours other than black or varying shades of grey. I prefer music that's darker. Can't stand happy pop tunes about falling in love(and really, aren't they ALL about that?).

I like natural light cuz it makes my garden grow. I prefer the light level in my favorite saloon, however. Easier on the eyes.

The blanker the emotions...the more deeply they're being buried, the more they are actually felt, and the more deeply they affect one, IME.

Back