What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it my imagination or does it seem as though

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
JimScott...want some obedient plant...it's pink. And spreads. and spreads and spreads and spreads. Then spreads some more.

Friends don't let friends plant physostegia!
smile.gif

Short hair (boys' cut), only wears jeans, no dresses, hates pink...that was me when I was very much younger. I decided to become more lady-like at the age at 13.

Now I still have short hair, wears jeans most of the time, accepts pink 'cos it makes my sallow skin look better.
smile.gif

I wouldn't say I am not a tomboy now but definitely less of one than I was before. Certain things I can't change, like folding (not crossing...) me legs while sitting on a chair. There's a range I suppose 'cos people who knew me long ago would definitely say I'm no longer one. Others who know me now would say I am one!
smile_m_32.gif
My ex-colleague was horrified when she saw me over a weekend in my casual clothes, laughing loudly away and slapping my thighs. She thought I was such a dainty lady at work.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 14 2005,10:24)]JimScott...want some obedient plant...it's pink. And spreads. and spreads and spreads and spreads. Then spreads some more.  

Friends don't let friends plant physostegia!  
smile.gif
I've got a teenage son with that description!

Je ne comprends pas 'physotegia'.

Cindy, how do you carry your books? Do you hold them to your front or to the side?

Wouldn't t be easy-est to carry themn the way they will not fall
smile_m_32.gif

Sometimes I'm a tomboy, sometimes I'm more girly. It seems I'm the opposite here: when I was younger, I'd wear dresses and pick pretty flowers, and now I like to wear jeans and big baggy sweatshirts, and play video games. I sometimes do wear skirts, though, for formal occasions, though I prefer dress pants, and I cross my legs.

I think green is the new black.
smile_m_32.gif

What does crosing your legs have to do with anything? I saw several people mention it but how does this apply?

i like pastels and magnolias. My fav magnolia is a a raggedy, baggy, and tough one though- Fraser magnolia (Magnolia fraseri)

Treaqum,

as far as crossing legs goes, according to 'tradition', young ladies are supposed to sit upright with their legs together, usually canted off to one side, or if they are reclining and they cross their legs, one leg hooks over the other kneecap at the joint of the leg, which still keeps the legs close together.

Men are 'supposed' to cross their legs by having one leg rest on the other leg, with the kneecap and ankle being the two points of intersection (does that even make sense?) think about it this way, boys are allowed to 'air it out' girls are supposed to keep it private.
smile.gif

I carry my books either way, depending on the size of the pile. But mostly, it's to the front. Why?
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Men are 'supposed' to cross their legs by having one leg rest on the other leg, with the kneecap and ankle being the two points of intersection (does that even make sense?) think about it this way, boys are allowed to 'air it out' girls are supposed to keep it private.

Well, if you are in high humidity all the time and fungus grows on every piece of your leather bag or shoe..."airing it out" may be the best option, you know.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Certain things I can't change, like folding (not crossing...) me legs while sitting on a chair.

there is a topic on its own......how in the world do you ladys do that?!?!?!?! Darla is constantly making fun of me. at 30 she can bend in ways i couldnt at 12!

I usually sit like a guy.. I don't do that "knees together" crap. How is sitting with your knees apart revealing? IT'S NOT. In the car I always sit in the same seat, behind the driver's seat, with my left foot up on the windowsill. That's my comfortable car position. At the computer I sit with my feet on the legs of the chair (not because I can't reach the floor, but because that's just what I do), or with one knee up, or sitting on my feet, or legs folded (which I do pretty much anywhere). I never do that "cross-your-legs" crap... that makes my legs go numb.

SO many people think I will grow out of being a tomboy or that it's just a phase.. it's not, okay? Since when can your entire life be a phase? I have been a tomboy all my life. I used to wear dresses, up until age 9 or so, but that's just because I hadn't quite asserted to myself exactly how I was going to be yet. But I was always a tomboy. Never liked Barbies or any other dolls. When other little girls were playing with dolls and dressing up, I was outside catching lizards and snakes. Now, while other girls flock at the mall and talk about makeup and nail polish and shoes, I'm going horseback riding (Western, not English) or watching football, and I haven't worn a dress since I was 9, and that was for church one Easter (it was my idea to go to church, mind you.. and I went with my great-aunt and great-uncle), and I wouldn't do that today anyway. I have gone to church since.. with my third-cousin Margie and her friend Kim in Leeds, Massachusetts. I went there three or four times when we were there, and every time, I wore jeans and boots. I wear camouflage cargo pants from the boys' section of Target when I'm not wearing jeans. And unlike apparently every other female on this planet, the idea of having a scar doesn't completely appall me. I have a 1-inch scar in the middle of my forehead and I'm proud of it. It actually bums me out that after 10 years, it's starting to fade. I totally do not get why there are so many of these stupid scar creams out there for people to make scars disappear, like God forbid your beautiful skin be ravaged by a SCAR! God, I cuss those commercials out.. I totally do not get it. What's so freaking bad about a scar? Be proud of it, man. And I never pay attention to what's "in style". Something being "in" only makes me NOT want to wear it more, just to be defiant.

I had long hair most of my life, but a couple years ago I got it cut short. Like, real short. But not the way I wanted it, because the woman tried to do it all cutsie and crap, fluffing it up and doing that "wispy" crap in the back.. I wish I could find a freaking hair cutter who could give me a short haircut without trying to make a HAIRDO out of it. Right now it's about two inches shorter than shoulder-length, and I suddenly want to get it short again, but I know there's nobody who's ever going to get it through their dense skulls that I just want it SHORT, not short at the bottom and long on top, not wispy in the back and curly on top, NO!!! JUST SHORT!!! @#$%!!

Anyway.

lol FTG. i dont believe being a "tom boy" is a phase. yah know i think you and i would get along quite well. Darla loves camping. if my knees would hold up to it she would love to do back country camping in Glacier National park, the kind of camping where all your gear is carried in on your back. however i dont think its ever going to happen. dang knees like to pop out of joint to much. she like shooting as long as the rifle doesnt beat the snot out of her. we spend lots of time hiking and digging through sandbars for agates and sapphires. she has no problems helping me with the snakes, granted she wants no part in feeding them because she doesnt want to get bit, not because its "gross". most of the time she wears jeans and nice shirts for work. she wears dresses on a regular basis but its for special occations. her normal weekend wear is tee shirt jeans and either tennis shoes or her boots. she is tom boy enough that we can do everything together and she enjoys it and she is lady enough that i get to see her in a sexy dress every now and then
smile_n_32.gif

FTG, note I put "'s up... I have no problem w/ anyone sitting any way they want, I was simply pointing out the way society was/is. By all means, be comfortable!
smile.gif
that is what all this encompasses anyhow, being comfortable in your own skin.

I've never gone camping, since I have no life. But if I could I would go all the time. I also love snakes. I want one SO bad, but my grandfather hates them. I caught a 4-foot yellow rat snake out of the road in front of the house once. A car was coming, so I told them to stop, got the snake, and carried it to our yard and let it go. Then, last year, after one of the hurricanes, we were cleaning up debris, and I caught a juvenile black racer in a pile of leaves and sticks. I put it in a jar to show my uncle when he got back from the dump. Then, a couple months ago, when I was with that same uncle and his daughter, Cheyenne (7 and also a huge tomboy.. I'm so proud), were over by the retention pond half a block from the house, and he saw a 2-foot nonvenemous water snake barely in the water, and he tried to catch it, but it went further out into the water, and it would've taken him forever to roll up his jeans to go get it, so he didn't. Cheyenne said, "Tanya could roll up her pants and do it!" And that gave me an idea. My cargo pants were more loose and alot faster to roll up. My uncle was like, "Nah, she's not gonna go in the water and catch a snake!" Ooooh, now you KNOW I'm gonna do it! So I rolled up my pants to my knees and went out into the water, which came about up to my knees, and tried to catch the snake, but it got away.

I never intend to be "lady-like". So many people hate that, but that's their problem. My point of view is, if men can behave a certain way, so can I. Why does a female have to refrain from cussing or spitting or hollering at football games? Men do it. We should have a right to as well, and that's where I'm coming from. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Anyway.. two of many things I wanna do before I die... fire a gun (guaranteed) and fly a fighter jet. I dunno what the jet thing is, but for some reason I have a huge urge to fly one.

FTG, flying a jet wouldnt be that hard to do if you REALLY want to. if your serious about it do alot of research. you will be quite surprised as to what you can do if yah got some cash or know the right ppl.

FlyTrapGurl, I don't think you should be so mean to women/girls who want to be fashionable and such. Sure, we don't understand them, but that doesn't give us the right to make fun of them. It's just how they want to act. You wouldn't make fun of how hamsters and other small mammals groom themselves and lick their butts, would you? It's how they act, and it's the same with girly girls.

I also think that, if a person wants to be girly, let them be girly. That happens to me sometimes. I'm not quite as girly as other girls, but not quite as tomboyish as, say, you. And I have one friend who is the typical girly girl, and trust me, she's not that bad. She doesn't make fun of me when I act my usual tomboyish self, and I respect her decisions to dislike mud and bugs. I have another friend that is incredibly tomboyish, and yells at me when I wear pink. Seriously, pink is not that bad. I don't care if a boy wears pink, as long as he doesn't make a big deal about "how manly he is". And I don't think you should pressure people to be more tomboyish when they WANT to wear pink,(although I've never really wanted to. I just wanted to wear this one sweatshirt that was really comfortable, but it just happened to be pink.) make up, and skirts. It's how they want to act.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ May 16 2005,9:19)]I carry my books either way, depending on the size of the pile. But mostly, it's to the front. Why?  
smile.gif
The leg crossing gender differential reminded me of the how different we were taught to carry books as well.

That does not maek any sense ot me but okay.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ May 16 2005,5:39)]That does not maek any sense ot me but okay.
Tre, I think you missed junior high!
smile_m_32.gif

Back