What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True - 'global cooling = global cooling'

The theory of how, once enough fresh water from the glaciers and frozen ocean melt into the ocean current, the current shuts down and stops bringing warmed water (and therefore warmed air) to the poles, and therefore creating an ice age, hence global cooling.

That concept was illustrated in the movie called, "The Day After Tomorrow".

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That concept was illustrated in the movie called, "The Day After Tomorrow".

all though a bit radically and 'out there'.

Something else some of you might be interested in looking up, the sun has weather cycles just like earth, it has highs and lows, and it's temperature rises and dips over long periods of time. This can effect our climate as well.

i love how "scientists" latch on to 5-10 year weather patterns and read something into it other than the natural ebb and flow of the planet. just cause we like to base things on 1 5 or 10 years doesnt mean the planet does. observing weather patterns for a 10 year period only gets you data for that 10 years. doesnt show you much in the larger scheme of things. acurate weather data for most areas is only about 100 years old. "modern" humans have been around for what? 35 times that atleast? kinda hard to read anything into current data when we dont really have that much historical data.

panic.gif

I recently read an article, which I can't find now, which talked about using a barrium atom (which i think is created by periods of high solar activity) to gauge how the suns magnetic fields shift, the whens and whatsits of it all... well, apparently, they think the sun shifts its magnetic fields every 100,000 years... and according to their data, we are currently in the time frame where the sun increases it's temperature for the next 500,000 years. now, that is a climate!
smile.gif
scientists are now starting to formulate theories on whether this activity, in conjunction w/ small variables in the earths orbit (.1% change closer to the sun) can account for ice ages and long periods of draught.

I don't think anyone in their right mind can say we shouldn't be reducing greenhouse gas emissions, but I certainly don't think they are as big a part of the problem as many people think they are, I honestly believe the earth is going through a normal warming cycle, but I do believe, we are most likely aggrevating the situation. All one needs to do is look at thermal maps of the country and see the heat blooms around big cities, those heat blooms can effect wind, wind effects rain, lack of rain causes erosion (lack of plants roots to control it) and so on and so forth...

what a fun time we live in.
smile.gif

I liked it better in the 70's, when the experts" were saying that we were going to global cooling.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i love how "scientists" latch on to 5-10 year weather patterns and read something into it other than the natural ebb and flow of the planet
it's NOT 5 to 10 years. The exact measurements start at 100 years (even that is 10-20 times longer than what you said) but the average global temperature, greenhouse gases, etc. have been measured for the last couple thousands of years by analyzing ice from many glaciers around the world and forzen lakes, trees, etc. and they have determined that at around the industrial revolution (what a coincidence... it's all doing perfectly fine until the industrial revolution) the greenhouse gases concentration in the atmosphere skyrocketed (that's relative of course...) and so did the temperature.
Yes, the temperature increase doesn't sound like much, but the little ice age in europe, --1450 to 1850-- which saw wide fammins and stuff, was caused by a (global) fluctuation only about 2 degrees F. a tiny change can make a big difference.
That's because not all of the world warms up by 2 degrees. It's because some parts warm while other parts cool.
now... global cooling. I didn't know that was a separate theory from global warming. In very mundane terms, here's what happens.
greenhouse gases makes the earth warm up, which makes ice melt, which upsets the salitnity around the poles as well as the temperature. There is a worldwide thermohaline current (temperature-salt current... also called the great ocean conveyor) which basically regulates the world's climate... that would be affected by the changes in salt and temperature. If it is disturbed, it stops/slows down/whatever (there's evidence for the effects of it being messed up) and that causes an ice age in the northen hemisphere.
great ocean conveyor:
ConvBelt.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Average temperatures could plunge by 5 degrees C- for comparison, this is about the same difference as between the global average temperature today and during the last Ice Age, when Canada lay beneath 3000m thick glaciers. The resulting colder, snowier winters would require new infrastructure, damage crops & shorten the growing season.
globaltemperature1880_2020_GISSd71yna.gif

much more than 5 years... where the ... did you... *shuts up*
C&EnglobT.gif

WAAAAAAY more than 5 years. ... *breathe Luis breathe...*

No wonder global warming is a problem. Everyone believes all the stupid BS they hear from I have no idea where and don't bother to reasearch so they just keep on...
ok... If you think the effects of global warming aren't being seen/felt yet... (now... I'm getting these facts from a project I did earlier this year. I researched them and all... but I didn't get the sources. If you don't believe me, please, just search. even if my sources were wrong I hope you're smart enough to not believe every word either I or anyone says... I could probably find some of the sources if you want...)
A study of mountain plants in the Alps (Europe), shows that some cold-loving plants are starting to move to higher and cooler altitudes.
The vanishing ice in the winter has resulted in an 80 percent drop in the number of Antarctic krill, could threaten Antarctic whales, seals and penguins.
"The Antarctic Peninsula, a key breeding ground for the krill, has warmed by 2.5 degrees Celsius in the last 50 years, with a striking decrease in sea-ice," That air temperature increase is about five times faster than the global mean rate, the scientists noted.
derived from data covering 40 Antarctic summers between 1926 to 2003 that was gathered by nine countries working in Antarctica. He and colleagues combined data from nearly 12,000 net hauls done from 1926-39 and 1976-2003
Arctic study---the eight-nation report compiled by 250 scientists says the Arctic icecap has shrunk by 15-20 % in the past 30 years and the contraction is likely to accelerate.
Climate Change Campaign for the environmental organization WWF published excerpts of the upcoming Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA) report---The Arctic ice cover will completely disappear in summer by the end of this century. It said sea levels could rise by one meter (3.3 feet), noting that there are currently 17 million people living less than one meter above sea level in Bangladesh. It said places like Florida and Louisiana in the United States, and the Asian cities of Bangkok, Calcutta, Dhaka and Manila were also at risk.
"Polar bears could become extinct by the end of this century. They are unlikely to survive as a species if there is an almost complete loss of summer sea ice cover," the WWF said.
Inuit hunters falling through ice, permafrost  thawing & destabilizing foundations of buildings & winter roads. the habitat of creatures from polar bears to seals is literally melting away. The permafrost melt is accelerating throughout the world, scientists said at the  meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in San Francisco. In addition to northern Alaska, the permafrost zone includes most other Arctic land, such as northern Canada and much of Siberia, as well as the higher reaches of mountainous regions such as the Alps and Tibet. All report permafrost thaw.

what could happen (say goodbye to many of our precious CPs) :
Thomas led a 19-member international team that surveyed habitat decline for 1,103 plant and animal species in five regions: Europe; Queensland, Australia; Mexico's Chihuahuan Desert; the Brazilian Amazon; and the Cape Floristic Region at South Africa's southern tip. The study is being published today in the journal Nature.. thatsaid yesterday that global warming at currently predicted rates will drive 15 to 37 % of living species toward extinction by mid-century  midrange estimate is 24 % .
“we're talking about 1.25 million species. It's a massive number"Said ecologist Chris Thomas of Britain's University of Leeds.

now, even if you still have doubts, I think the stakes are too high for us just to ignore the problem. ESPECIALLY on BS like "i love how "scientists" latch on to 5-10 year weather patterns and read something into it other than the natural ebb and flow of the planet. just cause we like to base things on 1 5 or 10 years doesnt mean the planet does."

sigh... I'd better take a break or i'll have a heart attack. To think I could have been typing my memoir which is due tomorrow, or finishing my powerpoints which are due tomorrow and wednesday, or doing my review packets...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ May 16 2005,12:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i love how "scientists" latch on to 5-10 year weather patterns and read something into it other than the natural ebb and flow of the planet
it's NOT 5 to 10 years. The exact measurements start at 100 years (even that is 10-20 times longer than what you said) but the average global temperature, greenhouse gases, etc. have been measured for the last couple thousands of years by analyzing ice from many glaciers around the world and forzen lakes, trees, etc. and they have determined that at around the industrial revolution (what a coincidence... it's all doing perfectly fine until the industrial revolution) the greenhouse gases concentration in the atmosphere skyrocketed (that's relative of course...) and so did the temperature.
Yes, the temperature increase doesn't sound like much, but the little ice age in europe, --1450 to 1850-- which saw wide fammins and stuff, was caused by a (global) fluctuation only about 2 degrees F. a tiny change can make a big difference.
That's because not all of the world warms up by 2 degrees. It's because some parts warm while other parts cool.
now... global cooling. I didn't know that was a separate theory from global warming. In very mundane terms, here's what happens.
greenhouse gases makes the earth warm up, which makes ice melt, which upsets the salitnity around the poles as well as the temperature. There is a worldwide thermohaline current (temperature-salt current... also called the great ocean conveyor) which basically regulates the world's climate... that would be affected by the changes in salt and temperature. If it is disturbed, it stops/slows down/whatever (there's evidence for the effects of it being messed up) and that causes an ice age in the northen hemisphere.
great ocean conveyor:

much more than 5 years... where the ... did you... *shuts up*

WAAAAAAY more than 5 years. ... *breathe Luis breathe...*
OHHH! well thats different!
going back to the Industrial revolution..yeah, that obviously *cant* be a coincidence..allow me to revise my dire warning based on *all the way back to the industrial revolution*..SOOOOO long ago!

panic2.gif

yep..300 years..it must be our fault..
im sure the average climate *never* trended upwards or downwards for SUCH an amazingly long time as 300 years before!
this is the first time EVER that the climate went in the same direction for such an amazingly long time as 300 years..
the last Ice age only lasted 50 years or so, so im told..
yep, gotta be humans fault..its just SO obvious..
now im really scared!

Scot

it's not going back to the industrial revolution. the heating STARTED at the industrial revolution.
It's not about wether it has been warmer or colder before, it's how fast and why it is warming up, and it is warming up VERY fast and it's because of US.
the ice age you must be reffering to is the little ice age in europe. That's teachnically not an ice age.
and of course that stupid propaganda picture of yours doesn't look anything like the real graph.
... I think we saw it the first time... either give us some real graphs and real facts or something but don't post fake propaganda pictures with no basis on reality.

It's amazing that selling off one's own future can be defined as "profit" in this society.

Alpha, as to the warming trend technically we are still coming out of the last ice age. places in britain are still rising from when they where pushed down due to the wieght of the ice that covered it. the last info i saw showed the hole in the ozone is shrinking(after how many chicken little scientists swore it would take decades to centerys before it would shrink after we would start behaving ourselves) honestly i think we are giving ourselves to much cedit. do all the greenhouse gases we dump into the air affect things? ofcourse but in the larger scheme of things i dont think we have done as much damage as we are told via mass media, atleast not as much irreversable damage as they have said. not to worry though going by some facts ive heard lately us first world countrys are doing a good job making ourselves sterile(speaking twords men only, but thats an issue for another topic) so it may not be an issue in another 150 years.

first of all, the ozone hole and global warming are two separate issues. Actually I believe the ozone hole causes a slight cooling of at least the upper atmosphere since ozone traps heat (there's also this thing called ozone pollution which is when cars give off ozone in the lower atmosphere which causes it to heat since ozone is another greenhouse gas... ozone is good above, bad below)
and that's true, technically we are, but like I said before it's not about the normal changes in temperature but
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's not about wether it has been warmer or colder before, it's how fast and why it is warming up, and it is warming up VERY fast and it's because of US.
ok let me put it this way. rain. It's not about weather it's raining or not, what worries people is how fast it is raining, which causes flooding and stuff...and how WHY it is raining. If it's raining because of us and we can stop it, then obviously you should stop the flood before it starts. (I have a feeling people don't like my analogies...lol)

also... the ozone hole is another one of those things that shrink and grow. Besides the fact that people have banned CFC's in many countries now (and are better at disposing of them), the size of the "hole" varies from season to season, etc. overall it has been growing a lot... which also coincides with humans and CFC's.

lol... what about sterility?

AlphaWolf, It's all whether you get your information by real climatologists or right-wing radio talk show hosts. Thanks for the reality check.

Capslock

sterility:
one major cause is hormone supplements taken by women. Waste water treatment can't remove them from the treated water. I think it was in colorado that the biggest study was done, there are rivers all but devoid of male fish. Testosterone(sp?) levels in human men who's drinking water come from those rivers are far less then other men who don't drink water from those/that river(s).

I'll see if I can find some info.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BOULDER, Colo. - Researchers in Colorado have made a startling discovery. Fish, apparently male, are developing female sexual organs. Scientists believe it's the result of too much estrogen in the water and they're finding estrogen in rivers across the country.

In Colorado's rivers and streams, scientists are waist-deep in ritual of the season, using electric currents to stun native fish to the surface where they're measured and checked. But what they discovered in the white sucker fish has got even veteran scientists concerned.

"I've done a lot of studies throughout my career which extends back to 1973," says research associate John Woodling. “This is the very first time that what I've found scared me."

"This fish has characteristics of both male and female," says Dr. David O. Norris of the University of Colorado, Boulder.

And scientists have found lots of them in three Colorado rivers, all of them downstream from sewage treatment plants.

In the Boulder Creek, female white suckers outnumbered males five to one and 50 percent of the males also had female sex tissue.

Researchers say the cause is too much estrogen in the water, a natural female hormone that is found in every sewer system. But also, they say, certain chemical compounds in detergents and soaps can mimic estrogen.

Barbara Biggs, of Denver's largest sewage plant, says most of the nation's sewage plants simply can't remove all the estrogen in the water.

"We're concerned about the effect on aquatic life, but we're also concerned about our ability to actually treat for these estrogens and estrogen mimickers," says Biggs.

Estrogen mimickers are believed to be caused by chemicals called nonylphenols, found in everything from paints and rubber to cosmetics and plastics. They are considered a possible cause of kidney, eye, liver and reproductive problems.

They’ve been banned in much of Europe and are under review in Canada, but are still common in America, where they are flowing out of sewage plants and into clean water flowing into America's rivers.

Government researchers recently found natural estrogens and estrogen mimickers in 80 percent of the streams they tested in 30 states.

"We would be ingesting those chemicals, would absorb them, and they would add to whatever natural hormones we already have in the body," says Dr. Norris.

No one is certain what the impact is on humans. But since finding evidence that estrogen may be turning male fish into female fish, scientists are now looking at what it means for the nation's drinking water.

In a state that prides itself on living in harmony with nature, this is evidence, say researchers, of a hormonal imbalance.

In my wastewater treatment class the teacher had something about the affects on humans, can't find that now tho...

oh yeah I heard about that. I think in those same areas there's an increase in human cancer isn't there?
... but I bet it's just natural. I mean... clownfish change sex right? (note the sarcasm)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]AlphaWolf, It's all whether you get your information by real climatologists or right-wing radio talk show hosts. Thanks for the reality check.
true... there's this stupid guy in the station I listen to that says environmentalists (as if every single one of them) want to outlaw flush toilets and stuff. Talk about stereotyping. He doesn't even mention why. he just says "Oh what an environmental disaster if people aspire to use flush toilets!!!"

yes but thats not the point of this discussion. Thets a totaly new one. if u want to talk about THAT, imm all ears in anotther topic.

Back