What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam's club find

Just a heads up for you shoppers....

Going to Sam's club tonight I scored a really neat 6" x 6" book of orchids called ORCHIDS From the Archives of the Royal Horticultural Society. It's full of descriptions and botanical drawings for under $11. 300+ pages full color throughout and hardcover. The images are all fantastic and lots of text this book should be twice the size cos the text is TINY but it's all great reading and beautiful eye candy!

Might have to go snoop around in Sam's.

There's a book on roses that is the same size right next to the Orchid one, maybe the same format too I didn't look at it. Since I'm only into the "weird" stuff!
smile_n_32.gif

Hmmmmmmm...I might have to check that out too. Thanks for the tip.
smile.gif

i found a $20 Orchid book at B&N awhile back. ill have to find the title for it but it is one heck of a book for the money. most orchid discriptions are fairly short but it covers something like 3000 species. ive been using it as a quick referance ever since i got it. its about 8x6 and prolly around 800 or 900 pages, a pic for almost every species. i also picked up another book by the same company called Botanica, its like 12x14, 800 or 900 pages and has a paragraph or two on thousands apon thousands of plant species along with lots of photos, its my absolut favorite plant quick referance guide. neither have much for detailed care but if yah only have a Latin name of a plant and have no clue what it is these two will more than likly either have it or a close relative.

Are you talking about the oversized Encyclopedia Botanica (or similar title) 2 hardcover volumes in the hard box? I got that one for xmas last year it's very awesome - like 3 or 4 pages of Nepenthes with new photos that I haven't seen before!

I think I have the Botanica orchid book does it have a green spine and yellow/pink flowers on the cover? That one is a good "bring along to the greenhouse" book and I have!
smile.gif

I should add after I had a chance to read the text in the Sams Club orchid book is both description of species and all relevant human histories connected with each species like stating that the tall Phaius orchids were the first to flower in western cultivation. If you're a total geek like me you'll love this! Short biographies of the major orchid botanists of the victorian era ends the book as well.

huh, guess i need the hard cover version. my softcover version is one volume and only has a few Nepentes. but yes i do believe we are talking about the same books. i saw the hardcover version about a year ago but at something like $70 i didnt buy it. i thought i hit the jackpot when i found the soft cover version for about $25, guess its not complete though.

I got one from borders for $6.99 + tax it has how to grow (easy anyway), IDing different genus/allinces (really great), history, botany of, propagation (some new techniques for me), and in the wild (the best part). It was:
Growing Orchids by Brian and Wilma Rittershausen. Oddly the "hardcover" (bigger and cardboard but still soft) was cheeper then the soft cover which was in normal gardening for $18.

Actually the best "plant book" I ever found I had to go to a little New Hampshire Town's library sale to get. And mind you I live in Florida. It was New Illustrated Encylcopedia of Gardening by Greystone. Something like 17 volumes (only $10 for me
smile.gif
) It has virtually every plant. I have only found one that was not in it (besides cp species and orchids b/c there are so many). It's in latin names but most also have common (but you have to look up the latin). It was printed in the 70's but still is very very up to date. Much Much better then the 1 or 2 volume garden enclopedias of today. It tells history, growth habits/how to grow, description and pictures for most species although it is in black and white. Almost all of volume one is one pest though. More pests then I ever hope to encounter.

Back