What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid forums

Are there any orchid forums that are good like Terraforums here? I can't seem to find any. All the mailing lists I have found are riddled with spam or are not in english (or may be but they are elsewhere that would not be easy for trading plants through). Any one belong to a good orchid forum?

There are dozens of them out there lol
I can definetly reccomend you:

http://www.ukorchidforum.com/
it is Europe based but there are a fairly large amount of Americans there, as well as many experts
Sure, its a small size but since I joined last year I became a hundred times better grower and Im getting better and better with that forum
smile_m_32.gif

Yes...there is one I am a member of but don't visit much. If I can find it, I'll give you the link. Feisty bunch o' folks there too.

Yes, if you can imagine the arguements here on politics and religion that spur peoples feelings being hurt and "leaving" just imagine having fights like that everyday over chromosome numbers, plant dealers/book authors turning each other in to the Wildlife authorities for someone having a plant they want and can't get, etc. I quit the orchid forums too stressful and uneducational!
(Just so everyones clear, I'm not speaking of the orchid forums here on Terra but elsewhere.)

there has not been any fights on the link I gave, and what you said is too generilizing
I know a member on the link I mentioned hwo left many US orchid forums because of fights etc(exactly what you mentioned, swords)

I left a few because anyone could join easily wiht no moderators (or only 1) so very little activity and massive amount of Spam for things that well...
I leave that up to your imagnination.

Of course there's GardenWeb, with an orchid forum much better than it's CP forum.  A number of people at TF are refugees from GW.  My favorite forum there is the fruit & orchard forum, which is world class.  There's also the Orchid Source Forum, which I have no patience for.  I'd rather linger in a forum full of TF teens discussing evolutionary opinions and games I've never heard of than put up with that cliquey (sp?) bunch at OSF.  The UKOrchidForum does seem like good people, but I don't go there anymore.

In my opinion, if you told an orchid forum that a bunch of plants were poached, there'd be a lot of people asking if you know where to buy one.  Look at the recent situation where a well known orchid importer was busted for smuggling nearly extinct Phrags.  Here at TF we'd be figuring out how to feed him to a Nep.  But he's a hero at OSF and got a lot of support at GW.  I have 10x more orchids than CPs, but much prefer TF's people.

at UKorchidforums people are very very against poaching, if somebody tried to sell obviously poached plants on there, I gurantee they would be banned permanently

I agree - that forum has good people.

Back