What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boardgames

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Now that we have video games and all kinds of online stuff, does anybody still good old-fashioned boardgames?

My favorite is Scrabble. followed by Boggle, chess, Monopoly, and Broadside.

What about you?

I don't play too many board games, certainly not many of the 'classic' games owned by Milton and Bradley and whoever else makes board games. I love Scrabble and Scatergories (sp?) but I feel like a lot of new board games are pretty derivative. I like the traditional board games, though, like go, mancala, chess, checkers variants, etc.
I'm also a huge nerd, and I play the Magic: the Gathering card game (or I did until Hasbro bought them) and RoboRally, a board game by the guy who created Magic. Traditional card games are pretty cool too, but I can never remember the rules for most games and I suck at poker. Videogames are really my thing.
~Joe

When I lived in Bosnia, these were very popular in my family(and I am guessing they are popular in the rest of Bosnia) because not that many people have a game console or PC(I didnt know anyone who had a PC)
Frustration was a very popular one to play when I was living there, as well as many styles of card games.
I played at least one of these nearly every day with my grandad and sometimes my grandma
smile.gif

Some card games. But I do play Victoyr in the Pacific, Harpoon occasionally (you need calc. for that. Dang Falkland Islands war), Tactics 2 and some others. Actually most of the ones I play are the same as computer games now but on a board so you need more effort. Neat huh?

I've always liked board games but I don't know anyone else who does.

Childhood favorites were Mousetrap, Monopoly and Candy Land. I also liked Risk when I was older...and chess and checkers. Yahtzee was fun too. And I was pretty good at canasta.

OH and CARROM! I loved that game! Still have a carrom board.
smile.gif

Oh man, how could I have forgotten Mousetrap? I never had it myself, but whenever I went to play with one of my friends that did have it, all I wanted to do was play Mousetrap. I used to play Candy Land all of the time when I was too young to understand more adult games... but I remember the very moment when I realised that Candy Land was just moving in a single line in random increments (I guess the bridges do add a little decision making.) My friend Andrea cried because I stopped playing halfway through and told her it was a stupid game. I really just wanted to play a game that involved strategy, but boy, was she ever mad at me. Ah, memories...
~Joe

I like othello, chess, and scrabble. I usually only play them online though.
smile.gif

Oh yeah...Scrabble! I left that one out.
smile.gif
I always wanted the game Operation. A friend had it but I never did.

Oh, yeah!! Risk, Scrabble, Monopoly, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Parcheesi, Backgammon, Clue, and that's about it for now.

I'm not really a game person... never got into video games. I used to play boardgames regularly, but I don't do it much anymore. I used to play Battleship with my mom alot, and that was good, but after a couple games.. you wanna shove one of those little ships through your eye. I like Scrabble (I play it alot with my third cousin Margie and her friend Kim when we go to their house in Leeds, Massachusetts every couple years), Pictionary (also played it a few times with them) and Monopoly (although it goes on and on and...).

I like chess.
I play a card game all the time which I love Magic the Gathering.

I love board games - checkers, chess, clue, risk, dominos, uno, phase 10, backgammon. Hard to get the kids to play. My eldest is teaching me magic....D&D is a lot better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 19 2005,2:22)]I've always liked board games but I don't know anyone else who does.

Childhood favorites were Mousetrap, Monopoly and Candy Land.  I also liked Risk when I was older...and chess and checkers.  Yahtzee was fun too.  And I was pretty good at canasta.

OH and CARROM!  I loved that game!  Still have a carrom board.  
smile.gif
I forgot about Yahtzee and Risk. Suzanne, you like to take over the world?

I always thought risk was kind of boring (no real stratigy, well I did the same thing everythime to win (take over Au)). Althought eh French risk with wooden figures that I bought was great. Everything was hand carved really amazing. The new rist with the plastic figured (rater then roman numerals) is horible.

Anything were yuou take over is the best. Tactics 2 (if you have ever played) is quite good.

Back