What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dedicated or just nuts?

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Last night, I became somewhat aware around 2:50AM that it was lightly raining.
I have been out of rain water for some time now and it always rains when I'm at work or not able to collect water for some reason.
I dragged myself out of bed and went down to the garage to fill my 24 1-gallon jugs. I finished filling my jugs around 3:30AM.
I'm I just dedicated to my plants or just NUTS?
smile_n_32.gif

Anyone else do this?

a lil of column A and a lil of column B........................
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

i worry about stuff when it gets too rainy or windy....

when we are on vacation for more than 4 days within driving distance (like camping) , i make my parents take me home to refill my humidifier....

i need help.

Ive done the same thing in the past although right now life is so much easier growing my plants outside in my bus-tub mini bog. It all takes care of its self here in washington

I was gonna vote for both... and since I know you personally....
smile_m_32.gif

Join the club.

I melt snow by the garbage pail full durring the winter.

I am going to go with the just nuts theory but since you're in like company doesn't that mean we are all normal?

T

Hehe, just the other day I asked somebody to hold long-distance so I could move my Sarracenia into the greenhouse when a windstorm started to kick up. Not quite as time consuming as filling 24 jugs of water, but pretty rude in the scheme of things :)
~Joe

you gotta be nuts when you have CPs stacked on top oc CPs stacked on top of CPs and other plants on your windowsill so that it takes up half the view.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you gotta be nuts when you have CPs stacked on top oc CPs stacked on top of CPs and other plants on your windowsill so that it takes up half the view.

lol! I hear you on that, and it's only gonna get worse! I totally have a hard time getting on to the deck from my room because there's a tank of plants sitting right there with even more plants on top of it- good thing I have long legs.
biggrin.gif
Furthermore, at least we're all nuts together. If I ever wake up and it's raining, I pull my butt out of bed (school tomorrow or not!), step over aforementioned inconveniently placed plants, go out if the chill and move my plants closer to the roof so that they don't get too beat up and empty containers out more to collect water.

...Does anyone else talk to their plants?... I'm sure at least some of you do! Either that or I'm a whole different kind of crazy.
laugh.gif

no.. i don't talk to them.

i fuss at them sometimes though. and sing "grow for me!" from little shop of horrors....

lol. I talk to my pets (duh... you're the nut if you don't), my computer (I yell at it :p), and myself but not my plants :p

Hmm, does watching them grow during dormancy count? I am always looking for new ways to make room for plants... I also spend money that I don't have on plants. How many of you are "in the hole" because of this auction? LOL

I fuss at mine alllllll the time, "GROW GROW GROW!!!!!!" I also sing the death chant to the insects that they eat...

I might be considered a little off by the fact that I have a branching dew as a center piece on my porch...

Hmm as for the computer.... I've had more than my fair share of verbal assault... I'm just glad that they can't talk back. As for your computer problems... a simple solution (Stress relief)

Well, I usually let them take the rain unless it's really pouring, and I always yell at people when my rain-catching jug out front gets moved from between the two rocks that otherwise hold it in place. And what REALLY makes me mad is that my grandmother to this day doesn't take my word for the truth when a CP issue arrises. I KNOW my outdoor plants need dormancy, but she is determined they don't and that I'm wrong and everybody on here is lying and her logic outweighs every CP expert's opinion. It's really none of her business, so I don't know why she cares.. another time, when my S. minor had scale, we went to Rockledge Gardens to see if they had anything I could use, which was her idea.. I intended to go to Lowe's and get Orthene, like you guys said. I told her what y'all said about Orthene, but she still insisted on going to the garden place and asking this random dude that worked there what we should use. He said Pyrethrin, because it was organic and good for sensitive plants. Sounded good to me, and I got it, but I still intended to go to Lowe's and get Orthene just in case. Then we got in an argument because I wanted to go to Lowe's and get the Orthene, and she kept saying the Pyrethrin would be fine because the dude said it was fine for them, and I kept asking her why the hell she trusts a random dude's opinion over MINE and over the opinion of EXPERTS on here. And that's exactly what she does.. she totally discounts ANYONE on the Internet, no matter how many times I say, "There are people on there who have grown these plants for YEARS and are total EXPERTS." But nooo, her thinking and the thinking of dipwads at garden centers who've never seen a CP should be trusted much more highly ¬_¬

Est,
Sorry. I will not be able to send the nep cuttings you won on the auction. You sound way to messed up to keep these plants..... talk to them??!!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Maybe we can get a group rate.
smile_n_32.gif

This is a picture of my happy water rack. All full jugs.
133water.jpg

And speaking of plants on top of plants. Some have moved outside, but have a bunch to go. Usually this table is almost empty. The weather here still is dropping a bit to cold for me to place some of them out there yet.
133growing-area.jpg

That's why I shelled out the $60 for an RO unit. Now I can overwater!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Est,
Sorry. I will not be able to send the nep cuttings you won on the auction. You sound way to messed up to keep these plants..... talk to them??!!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Ok ok- yeah yeah. So maybe I'm slightly more nuts than the rest of y'all, but it's not like I have long conversations with them. I look at it like this: I talk to myself when there's no one else around and I'm thinking about something, it's kind of like that. My plants don't have names and stuff... Man I feel weird defending myself.
smile_n_32.gif
In any case, the plants don't seem to mind, so it's all good.
smile_m_32.gif

Hmm  well I recall many raining nights/mornings when I would jump up in the middle of the night to move seedlings and other less tolerant plants out of the rain. I store my water in 5 gallon jugs and collect it in one of those large square plastic cat litter containers. Its a little less time consuming than bazillions of 1 gallon jugs. Now that I have my own R/O unit I always have between 5-10 gallons of water ready to use when I need it.

Steve

EDIT:  EST, if you think about it, when you talk to them you breathe CO2 all over them which they then use for photosynthesis. So really, you could actually be helping them grow better by talking to them.

not to mention the vibrations also stimulate growth
smile.gif

oh and... I use tap water to water them
smile_s_32.gif

Back