What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooray for our legal system

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
How many wives does your neighbor have? And if they're so vigilant, how does he get away with having so many?

I said neighbors (plural). These neighbors each have 1 wife, to the best of my knowledge, except for Jerry, who's wife decided she likes girls better, but still lives with him. So he has a half-wife. Not to be confused with a half-life.

Ha Ha Ha. Hmm well April I do suppose you live in a "normal" neighborhood now.

Yeah. Normal as hell.

I carry an alloy frame Colt Officers Model .45 with Crimson Trace laser sights loaded with 230 grain Black Talon.  To the best of my knowledge that is the most effective self defense combo know to man...other than a short barrel 12 guage semi auto with 2/0 buckshot.  My backup is a alloy frame Colt Mustang .380 with hydra shock.  I shoot (my reloads) at our outdoor range a mininum of three times a month and hang with a group of LEO's.  Most of them are limited to 9mm and .40 caliber by department regs but most would prefer the big, slow moving, hard hitting .45.

I was taught by military and law enforcement to always aim for the torso (the largest target).  In a situation that you feel is dangerous enough for you to discharge your weapon...you need to eliminate the threat immediately and not screw around worrying about legal ramifications or wether the intruder had a bad childhood.

I wonder if any of you could advise me how many states currently have CCW laws.  The last time I looked there were thirty three.

I bet Califorina is not on that list. They think guns are the antichrist. LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well we would not be loseing the Drug war if we had harser punishments.

The Drug War is a total, stupid, joke, just like prohibition was.  Prohibition was a huge joke that actually fomented, encouraged, and fostered crime syndicates.  Al Capone didn't start making the big bucks until AFTER prohibition was enacted.

You see the same today with the drug cartels.

The jails are full and overly full of non-violent offenders of stupid drug laws. I'm talking about people who had drugs for personal use...not dealers.  There are people in Texas(of course) who are serving life terms for a 1/2 ounce or less of pot.  

To hell with Saudi punishments.  Boy, what an enlightened justice system they have!   FEH!.

Guns ARE the anti-christ to those of us who choose not to own them, but are constantly threatened by those who do. A gun owning society is an opressive society, IMO. Lived in one for years. I felt kind of opressed. Ask the family people in Watts or South Central LA, or the West side of Chicago or Pilsen or the Englewood District, or the Near West side of Chicago how they feel about un-fettered gun ownership. The drummer in my band, Myron, had a young hispanic man die in his arms about 5 years ago. It could have been Myron, had he been at the same place 30 seconds earlier. From what I gather...having someone die on you is not a spiritual upper.

Notice how when there's a big multiple homicide..vis a vis Columbine, or the Red Lake Massacre, or any post office around christmas-time, ad infinitum..the NRA never has one stinking word to say about it. Because they can't. Because it shows the total lie of their existence. Aprilh

I will never give up my guns...The only thing about anti-gun people is that they want to take guns away from everyone. If you do not like guns don't own them. I have no problem with people that hate guns, just try not to give me the "No one should own guns" crap. Move to Canada, France, or England. You will find they have crime too...The only difference is the citizens protect them selves with steak knives while criminals have illegal guns.

For Pyro to shoot a gun at someone is just insane! If you are going to shoot someone kill them...They live on, you will be the one in jail. You should never pull a gun on anyone if you do not have a cause. That would be branishing. Again people should take a course for a Concealed Weapons Permit. You learn the proper laws of owning a gun. To bad many people will not and end up screwing up their lives because of it...assuming you know the laws is just stupid. Just because you own a CCW does not mean you need to carry a gun. Pyro I sugjest take the course but that is just me. It is after all material stuff.

Sorry April, guns don’t kill people, people kill people. Not that I am a proponent of the religious component to this man’s speech however I respect this man’s opinion and his beliefs and what reverberates in my mind is this statement he made,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs - politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws.

I would have to disagree Laura. People do kill people but guns were made for killing people. There is no other reason to own a handgun or really any other gun. Therefore guns kill people because people made them to kill people.

By gosh by golly Tre, I don't know what to say other than this...  you can disagree with me all you want.  

Incidentally, aprilh and I are personal friends and we argue about this, and a lot of other issues, all the time and we are still friends.

The "doctors" statistic leaves out how many doctor visits there are in a year, which is probably in the high millions, low billions. It's completely irrelevant without that number. What is the death rate per capita per doctor's visit?  And do these statistics take into account how many doctor's visits ended in the death of the patient BECAUSE of a GSW? do they count ER visits as Doctor's visits?  How many ER visits are the results of the wounds GSW victims got invading homes?

Someone please explain to me why anyone in the USA has the "right" to own an AK-47? Over-compensation for something lacking? That's my theory!  Rifles, shotguns...ok...those are actually used for hunting, and I have no problem with them. Hell, I hunted things when I was a kid...gun and bow and arrow. People who live in rural areas, and people who go hunting actually have use for them.

If one feels a need to shoot up their school, however, it's going to take a lot longer with a shotgun or a rifle or to stab your conceived enemies with a knife than it will take with an automatic weapon. Thereby giving other people on the scene much more time to deal with and end the shooter's nuttiness.

Automatics and semi-automatics were designed and are used for killing people. Period.  Handguns were designed to kill people. Period. I don't know personally anyone who goes hunting with an AK-47.  It's illegal.  Or a hand-gun.  Hunting with a handgun is also illegal in most states.  

Another thing the NRA likes to say is how huge numbers of crimes have been prevented by gun toting home-owners shooting home invaders....urban frontiersmen, as it were.  

Except...the emergency room statistics don't back it up.  At all.  They need to get much better at fudging their numbers.  AND it depends on whom you call a gun-owner, too.  Does the NRA consider gang-members part of its posse of gun owners? If not, why not..gang members are CC fanatics and practicioners, too. They walk around with guns stuck in the waistband of their pants all the time...I've seen it. I've experienced the fun! They generally lack the disposable income to join the NRA, but are a huge un-tapped market for the NRA. I think the NRA and gang-bangers are quite a nice fit, actually.  I can see the ad campaigns now...Black and Blue...the NRA is YOU!

I actually probably wouldn't mind the gang-banging CC thing if the nice guys took marksmanship training...at least they'd shoot up who they meant to shoot up, and not some innocent being that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  You know...those grannies and children and non-gang involved teens and mothers and fathers.........

I am not against people owning hand guns...if that's what it takes to keep one feeling safe..go ahead, and God bless. But please keep them out of my neighborhood, and away from me and mine. I don't want them near me as I go about my daily life. Road rage and CC..what a nice thought.

Like I said...rent "Bowling for Columbine"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 27 2005,11:11)]I heard a comedian, Ron White, say that in Texas it is illegal to shoot somebody in the back for any reason. He then said "Yeah, but I can shoot them in the legs until they turn around"
That would be where the buckshot comes in..it'll make you turn around! I love Ron White, LOL!  Even though he's a Texan.  Tater Salad?  
smile_m_32.gif

i live down the road from a town that awhile back had a higher murder rate per capita than Wash. DC, i dont have a loaded gun in the house(well sorta, i have a 22 loaded with subsonics with the sole intention of being used on 4 legged pests not 2 legged ones). i have only kept a loaded rifle on standby once, it was 3 years ago when Darlas ex came to town. she begged me to throw a loaded magazine in the SKS and keep it by the bed, it was the only way to get her to sleep. as soon as he went back to Iowa, the SKS got unloaded and thrown back in the safe.

i am completely against cold blooded murder but i draw a definate line between murder and defence of ones family. while i may not keep a handgun for defence(i have 2, one is Darlas for plinking, one is set up as a hunting revolver(44 mag) for me) i do keep a rifle close at hand(Ruger 44 carbine, with 240 gr, 44 mag Starfire loads close by. not much good for hunting but they will take care of smaller 4 and the 2 legged varmits right quick and proper). never had to point a gun at someone and i sincerly hope i never do, but if comes down to Darlas, her girls or my saftey and well being over someone who has broken into our house with the intent to do harm, that person or persons will not be pleased on the out come of the incounter

the saying "guns dont kill ppl, ppl kill ppl" is 100% true, guns have no mind, no intelligence. a drunk driver turns a vehicle into a far more dangerous weapon than any gun. its through intent or negligence that causes an inanimate object to become dangerous, the object itsself can not be evil.

BTW i invite anyone who hates guns to come up and spend an afternoon blasting away at pop cans, milk jugs ect and see why some of us think it is fun. ill clear my schedule to do it with in reason. ive got everything from no recoil 22 rimfires to rifles that will rearrange your shoulders and quite a bit in between. ive got 110 year old mausers and current production bolt guns, what i dont have i can prolly borrow for the afternoon.

If you want to compare the doctor visits it would be same as comparing it to how many bullets are shot instead of how many guns they are.
Really I don't think that the comparisons of guns to doctors makes much sense. It's two totally different things.

I bet you were one of people that wanted to get the black talon bullets banned. In reality, they were less dangerous than other bullets with a less scary name. A legal AK-47 in the USA is less dangerous that most hunting rifles. An AK-47 that's legal in the USA is nothing but an ordinary rifle with a scary name. I have never heard that it is illegal to hunt with an AK, or even a handgun, but I'm not a hunter so I could be wrong.

As far as concealed carry is concerned, There is no way you can compare gang members to responsible gun owners that has a concealed permit. One is a criminal that belongs in jail and the other is a responsible law abiding citizen. I would feel completely safe with people standing in line at the grocery store with a legal concealed gun. Actually I would feel safer because I know that they have had an FBI background check and have been trained to not only when or when not to shoot, but how to how to fire the weapon. As far as your road rage comment, read the sentence before this one again. If they have a history of flying off the handle with little provocation they will not be issued the permit. The people that have legally concealed weapons are not the people I worry about. It's the people that don't care to get a permit. They have no respect for the law or other peoples lives. Just think what would have happen if just a few of the teachers at Columbine had concealed weapons. I think the outcome would have been different and there would have been a lower death toll. I think that both of the shooter illegally possessed the weapons that they used.
I think the problem is not guns but it's illegal guns. We need to try and get the guns out of the criminals hands. I think one thing we need to do is to crack down on gun owners and make them more accountable for their weapons. There needs to be a way to stop guns from being stolen by criminals or sold to them. If we cut the flow of weapons to them the rate of gun violence would drop. I don't know the statics but I think it would be safe to say that almost all of the gun violence is from illegal guns.

Since you like Ron White I know you'll like this.

Larry the Cable Guy said "Guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do."

Ozzy said, "Just think what would have happen if just a few of the teachers at Columbine had concealed weapons." I guess things would have turned out differently. But that only happens if a few teachers at every school are carrying guns and a few people in every factory, grocery store and post office are too. A few drivers on every road and a few riders in every bus. A few fans at every stadium and concert. That doesn't make me feel safer.

If they have been trained, I would feel safer.

I get paid a yearly bonus for carring a weapon while off-duty. Obviously the citizens of my state feel the need to throw a little extra money at a few people knowing that their are trained plain-clothes people on the street with a pistol.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ June 06 2005,7:20)]Someone please explain to me why anyone in the USA has the "right" to own an AK-47? Over-compensation for something lacking? That's my theory!  Rifles, shotguns...ok...those are actually used for hunting, and I have no problem with them. Hell, I hunted things when I was a kid...gun and bow and arrow. People who live in rural areas, and people who go hunting actually have use for them.
That would be the 2nd amendment.

The entire point of the second amendment is not to allow people firearms for hunting or personal defense against criminals. The raison d'etre of the second amendment is to protect the citizens from the government, to give the government reason to pause before embarking on a tyrannical action.

In the 18th century, I believe the intent was to have any and all weapons of war at the disposal of the citizenry.

In the 21st century, the age of highly advanced, extremely destructive and very complicated weapons systems, I don't think the average citizen should have access to tanks, mobile artillery, stealth bombers and weapons of mass destruction; the 2nd amendment in modern times has pretty much been relegated to small arms.

I'm not sure, however, if the US government ever decided to declare war on its own citizens, what good m-16s would do against a fully equipped and trained US military. I guess that is where the national guard comes in.

Back