What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooray for our legal system

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
In think I agree with herenorthere. I have been in that situation. I know what thoughts goes through your mind, at least I know what went through mine. I choose not to pull the trigger. I saw another way out, and I decided to see if I could end the situation without anybody dying. Sometimes the presence of a gun will make people decide to stop what they're doing. I know that I made the right decision not to shoot, even though I had every legal right too.

Well different people react different ways in the same situation.

3 years for possesion of marijuina?? I issue a misdemeanor citation with a court date. Just like a traffic ticket, no jail time just a missed day of work for court. If my state put people in jail for 3 years for possesion I would lose all of my clientel!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ May 26 2005,2:42)]excuse me? are you suggesting that Pyro commits murder on his own property?
If somebody breaks into my house, threatening me, my wife and my two little girls, he's leaving my premises feet first.

Well, luckily anything under and Oz of Mary Jane is a misdemeanor in Ga, unless its bagged for distribution. Anyways in Ga there is no self defense plea for murder, nor an attempted murder charge. My wife was robbed for her pizzas while she was delivering one night. I wanted to charge the guys with attempted murder because they hit her in the back of the head with an Axe handle, and cracked her skull. They are only charges with agrivated assault. We still have yet to go to court. I don't know why no restitution was awarded. That doesn't make any sence. That was installed in the system for those reasons. The lawyer we talked to said we could get it from these guys as part of their sentance. I agree some of the arguments on both side here. I can't say I would pull the triger of a gun if someone wsa breaking in, but I sure could pull the gun and hold it on them. Long enough for me to call the cops and have him held at gunpoint. Now if he was coming for me I don't think I would hesitate to pull the trigger. I value my life and am not about to allow a degenerate to harm me. Sometimes I wish soneone would threaten me with harm and throws the first punch or comes at me hostilely. I have been waiting to beat someone down, and if I feel my life is threatened I think I can really inflick some damage. I'm not a heartless person, but I can show no remorse when it comes to situations like that. It sucks that they got off scott free like that. I really feel for you. That just goes to show you who has the rights in this country anymore. As far as I am concered once convicted you should loose all your rights with exception to no crual and unusual punishment. Then again sometimes I wish that wasn't there. All this talk about criminals rights is a bunch of BS and I want to smack all those demacrat Aholes, and lawyers that got those in place. It is nothing but a smack in the face to the victums. Thats my rambling Thanks.

Josh

File suit against him in small claims court...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 26 2005,3:45)]If you hit center mass, you have a higher probability of killing the individual.

And if you're in a situation that requires use of a firearm, your goal is to drop the other guy, and render him not a threat. If he dies, he shouldn't have done whatever it was that triggered your reaction. Like, for instance, breaking into your home!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 26 2005,3:45)]While it is a drag being burglarised, because I have been burglarised twice, to kill someone for taking material stuff that can be replaced is kind of a bit much.

If I were in this situation, I would not be shooting him for taking stuff that can be replaced. I would be shooting him for being in my home, and being a criminal who now poses a direct threat to life and limb of myself and my family. I must assume somebody who breaks into my home is armed, and will shoot me if given the chance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You live in Georgia, right?

One of the gun-friendliest states in the Union. Get the gun. Take a safety class, practice regularly at a range, and get a gun safe.

And don't aim for the leg.

* it's easier to miss than center-of-mass.
* a lightly wounded man is scared, and more likely to return fire, if armed.
* dead men cannot sue, or contradict your story to the police.

A grouping of three rounds, center-of-mass, will drop him, and ensure he will not be a future threat to you or to society.

Might I remind you my friend that killing is most certainly a sin? Not to mention it's just bad and sometimes unesecary. I would, if at all possible, try to shoot someone where they wont die. And on that note, I'm planning on having a sword made with a tazer in the handle, so that the blade can deliver a powerful electrical shock, like a tazer baton. How illegal is this?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ May 26 2005,4:32)]Well we would not be loseing the Drug war if we had harser punishments.  I'm talking china here whihc in my opinion has some very interestin gpunishments.  If you steel something you hand gets cut off right?  Well I personally like:
If you violate any of these rules (there is a list) you get sent to jail until friday.  On Friday you get in a truck to be driven around town.  Mind that you will probibly get stuff thrown at you.  Then you go down to the beach where the guards instruct you to either stand in a line or run into the ocean.  You are then shot.  But then the happy ending is your family has to pay rent for your prison cell, pay for your food, pay for your share of the gas, pay part of the salery of the firing squad and pay for the bullet.  See if we did that to anyone who had drugs we would not need to worry about them anymore.
That would be ruled pretty quickly as in violation of "cruel and unusual".

And it is the Islamic world, Sharia Law, in which the right hand is cut off as punishment for theft.

I am not in favor of abusing criminals in prison. I am opposed to the death penalty. But I do think a life sentence should mean "until you die", and that prisoners should have a safe, yet harsh, spartan, and regimented life. Other than being a number, never breathing free air, and seeing bars every day, prisoners should not be subject to deliberate abuse or degradation. We are a better society than that.

I also believe sex offenders deemed a high risk of repeat offense, especially predators of children, should be involuntarily committed to a mental institution upon release from prison. IIRC, Connecticut proposed such legislation.

Oh, and to my friend pyro, might I simply sugdest getting a taser gun which will completely incompacitate an opponent for some number of minutes, long enough to call 911, tie the guy up, and with no legal issues, as it's perfectly legal and non-lethal. Remember kids, killing is very bad.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ May 26 2005,5:51)]do your research if your gonna get a gun, you want a lot muzzle velocity high caliber bullet. Easy in, messy out, won't go through walls and endanger loved ones and neighbors.
I like shotguns.

Won't go through walls, either, hard to miss, high lethality with a center-of-mass hit, and very few sounds would chill the blood of a home invader as the cocking action of a shotgun.

But a low-velocity, high-caliber bullet also will do the trick. It's called "stopping power", and it is a function of momentum transfer, more than kinetic energy transfer.

Well, I believe that there shouldnt be a life sentance. If we are going to place a person in jail for life then we should just kill them. Why leave them in jail to be a consumer? Why should we have to give them better healthcare than some of our poor citizens because they are locked up? I don't believe that is right. If they are to be sentance for life they should be sentanced to death. Save all of us the 30k a year to keep them alive. That may sound harsh, but I do believe the punishments should ba harsher on crimes, but I don't believe some of the drugs that are illegal should be illegal. With that said if I was in charge Mary Jane would be legal and we woudlnt have to worry about those in prison. UNLESS the were cought selling to minors. the laws should be just like alcohol. Also keep in mind that I believe the punishments should be harsher. So don't go bashing me saying it would end up like beer is to kids. Not if the punishment was harsher, I don't believe. I think it would lower the drug use too. Because it will not be a taboo anymore. I am a firm believer that alot of kids try it because they are preached to that its bad, and honestly if you had to choose between Mary and alcohol its accualy better for you. I have asked many Dr. I work with and they back up thaqt statement.

Josh

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ May 26 2005,7:58)]The average person won't shoot, but the junkie/violent criminal robbing you doesn't share your moral dilemma and will have no problem pulling his trigger.
I think on average, when faced with a "him or me" decision, or ESPECIALLY a "him or my family" decision, the average person will shoot, and perhaps feel remorse later. But he'll be ALIVE to feel remorse.

If you think you could never pull the trigger, then don't get a gun. I think Tasers are commercially available now, but if you miss on the first shot, game over.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ May 27 2005,12:12)]All this talk about criminals rights is a bunch of BS and I want to smack all those demacrat Aholes, and lawyers that got those in place.
I'm a democrat (of libertarian persuasion), and I am deeply concerned about the rights of the DEFENDENT.  Not so much about the rights of a convicted criminal, altough as a civilised society under rule of law, I believe we must treat them fairly, whatever they may have done.

And please don't interpret "fairly" to mean "preferentially".

Guns are cool, guns are fun, guns can keep your rear alive.

BUY A GUN!

If not, then get yourself an 8" survival knife.
If not, then put a baseball bat under your bed.
If not, then then start working out.
smile_n_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

By the way, i think i could definitely pull the trigger if i were in any physical danger. Most people think guns are horrible, BUT the news only tells their bad side. This weekend for example, i'm going target shooting. I will bring an array of targets ranging from plastic bottles, to bowling pins, to last year's math book. They're a great stress reliever if you put up targets consisting of pictures of people you don't like. Works for me!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ May 27 2005,12:19)]Might I remind you my friend that killing is most certainly a sin?  Not to mention it's just bad and sometimes unesecary.  I would, if at all possible, try to shoot someone where they wont die.  And on that note, I'm planning on having a sword made with a tazer in the handle, so that the blade can deliver a powerful electrical shock, like a tazer baton.  How illegal is this?
Killing in self-defence is not a sin.  Of course, I'm an atheist, so the concept of "sin" as anything other than "morally/ethically wrong" is meaningless to me.  Refusing to allow a criminal to continue to threaten you or your family is most certainly not morally wrong, in my book.

If I'm in a situation in which I find it necessary to shoot, my primary goal is to render the person non-threatening.  Unfortunately for him, the most certain way to do that is to fire at the torso.  My goal is not to kill, but it is very likely the outcome.

Now let me add, I do not EVER want to be in such a situation. I am not hoping somebody breaks into my house so I can shoot him. And if it happens, I'd rather nobody be home. And if I'm home, I hope he bolts the moment he realises somebody is home.

I've known a fair number of juvenile gun advocates who seem eager for an opportunity to use a gun. Most of them have been online, and i'd wager most are teenage boys who have never actually held a gun in their hands before.

I sincerely hold by the first rule of self defense: Be somewhere else when bad stuff happens.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ May 27 2005,12:28)]Well, I believe that there shouldnt be a life sentance.  If we are going to place a person in jail for life then we should just kill them.  Why leave them in jail to be a consumer?  Why should we have to give them better healthcare than some of our poor citizens because they are locked up?  I don't believe that is right.  If they are to be sentance for life they should be sentanced to death.
There can be no DP without the appeals process, and it is the appeals process that makes a death sentence typically MORE expensive than life in prison.

And if you think life in prison is some cushy existence, you are mistaken.

My problem with the DP is that it is NOT evenly applied, it is NOT a proven deterrent, the decision to pursue it is often more politically motivated than by justice, and there is far too much prosecutorial misconduct for it ever to be fair.

Agreed
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If somebody breaks into my house, threatening me, my wife and my two little girls, he's leaving my premises feet first.

SarraceniaScott I never said get rid of due process, but if your going to pay 30k a year to keep person X alive for 50 years in prision i think it is more cost effective to kill him after his appeals have been heard. Even the lifers get the right to appeal their sentances. So they too are costing more than Death row because after all the appeals then they atill have to be cared for for life. Or better yet get out after 8 or so years only to do a horific crime again. Look at the mutiple sex offender who just killed that little girl in Fla. No sence in letting him out in the first place. Also I;m not downing the democrats as a whole, Its just mostly those tytpe of political views that create alot of the criminal friendly laws. I;m not saying that republicans don't either. I'm also not saying they are angels. They're most surely not. Darn it why did I have to make this political.
smile_l_32.gif

Josh

Back