What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size plants do you send when you trade?

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Hey everyone. I'm realativly new here. I have been lurcking for about a month I wouls guess. I have posted a little, but nothing magor. I'm new to CP's. I'm an orchid grower and have an interest in CP's. I'm just curious to know when trades are made what is the average size of plants sent? 1/2 inch to an inch, 1 to 2 inches or larger? I'm mainly asking about sarracenia. In most peoples opinion is a sarracenia plant 1/2 inch tall with only 2 leave to small for trade? Especialy for a flowering sized orchid? I just want to get some other peoples opinion on this matter and make sure I wasn't over reacting. I figured I would ask the people with more experiance than I. Thanks everyone.

Josh

That sounds like a seedling :-\ I would not trade a orchid for that. Or even a few of those. The adverage size of a Sarra to trade I'd say is 8-14 inches... Since they are often divisions they would never be 1/2 inch tall... Oh! And welcome to the forum!!
Andrew

Welcome, Josh! A Sarracenia that young might be worth it for a cultivar or hybrid of significance, but in my observation your typical, run-of-the-mill Sarr is worth $15-$30 as a nearly full grown adult. As for what is typically traded, we trade all sorts of things here; people send seedlings that size, but not usually for adult plants (certainly not adult plants that are as valuable as your average orchid.) But maybe some of the orchid growers will know better than I...
~Joe

Thanks for the welcome Joe and andrew. I kinda figured that, and don't feel as bad for getting the trader's parents involved with the trade. I'm not going to discredit the person involved, but I recently traded 5 flowering sized orchids for some CP, and I recieved 4 seedling Sarracenias. 3 were 1/2" in tall and one almost an inch tall. They were sent in a padded envelope and practicaly crushed when I received them. Only one of the Sarracenias is living now. Its an alta hybred is all I remember. and its 1/2 inch tall with 2 leaves/pitchers. Seems to be in suspended animation at the moment not doing anything. He didn't even send the Nepenthese that I really wanted and was most concerened with. Got together with 2 others he did the same thing to and contacted this person folks and it is getting resolved. Granted 3 of the 5 were NoID orchids they still were worth atleast $10 a piece. The price wasn't an issue with me it was the fact of sending 5 flowering sized plants for seedlings that were so small. This was even after I sent pictures of the plants to him prior to the trade being finished. Like I said it is being taken care of I just wanted to vent and get some other folks opinions, because this persons Mother said these were the same sized plants this person traded to CPer all the time. I just didnt buy that statement and thought I would ask if that was the general practice to send plants that small in trades or not. Thanks for the welcome and information. I definately will be around learning and hope I can help out in the orchid forum too. Thank everyone!!
Josh

I would like to point out that if there are any problems with trading here in the forums that sometimes its a good thing to let us mods know if things dont get sorted out propperly.

Josh, I would really like to know who to avoid in trading.

I have done many trades here, and only had one not go perfectly, but the counterparty bent over backwards to fix it, and it wasn't really his fault, anyway.

But if you feel that somebody dealt with you in bad faith, and you really had to hound them to have it made right, you really ought to alert the forum.  Knowing their reputation could be tarnished is a good incentive to keep people honest, who need keeping honest.  But I think most people here want to behave ethically anyway.

As far as what the proper size to trade is, i say any size is OK, as long as that information is disclosed fully!

And make sure you know how the counterparty plans to ship your package.  I always use a sturdy priority mail box, and I usually pack smaller plants in 35-mm film canisters also.

Hi Josh and welcome to the forums! I mainly have sundews, butterworts, and bladderworts, so we're talking about small plants, in general. But when I set up a trade, I just tell whomever if what I have a seedling or a mature plant. An ounce of prevention....

I usually take pictures of the plants I intend to trade, so the other party knows exactly what they are getting.
I have received some plants which are smaller then what I would have sent out and without knowing that they were going to be that small. If they live I do not care, but losing them would make me a little mad.
Plus others sending small plants, this might be normal for them and what they expect in return.

SarraceniaScott, I have already contacted Josh about this. Rest assured that if it isn't taken care of, that the member will be put on the bad traders list. So just make sure to check that list (pinned on top of trading forum) and leave the rest to us.
smile.gif

Andrew

One thing to consider is that despite pinned topics and the occasional capricious individual, some of us, particularly newbies, may not be skilled in shipping plants. The P.O also does some strange things as well. I know that we aren't talking about imexperience and bad luck, though.

All good points, and yes the trader is part of this forum, but the trade did not orriginatre here. Things are being worked on as we speak to correct the issue. The person in question did make mention the plants were seedlings, but I didnt realize seedlings would be sent that small. Given the size of the full grown plant and what I am used to dealing with orchids. I have a seedling orchid right now that dwarfs what was sent to me. Granted they are different plants. I just didnt think plants that small would be sent. Especialy for flowering sized Chids. I sent pictures of my plants to the person. I guess I should have asked for pictures in return and will from now on with trades. I know myself I couldnt send plants of that size for the plants I sent and not feel bad. I guess that just me. I do trust that things are being taken care of so hopefully this person will learn their lesson and it will not happen again. Especial seeing the extent of indeviduals involved now. If not then andrew knows who the person is and I know the mods will rectofy the situation. Thanks everyone.

Generally speaking, the type of plants as well as the maturity of the plants should both be discussed when arranging a trade.

If I have seedlings to trade, that may be fine, but I have to tell you they're seedlings.

As far as shipping plants, even if someone is a newbie, there is something called common sense. Plants are fragile, and should be packed as such. Plants also dry out, and should be packed to accomadate.

That's another thing... One should always provide some "on receipt" instructions, as plants that are uprooted and shipped are normally in shock. In addition, there should be some instruction on how to grow a particular plant. As a total newbie last year, receiving a Cephalotus cutting, I also received a bag of orchid fertilizer & live LFS, and detailed instructions for its care. Aside from the fact that I ended up killing it, at least my "business partner" was thorough and considerate to help me along with the special growing requirements.

Has there been a topic about how to ship plants?

common sense is the key. I had an trade experience here that I'm still upset about, and the other person was not a newbie.

All the other trades I've done have been perfect, and there are some very generous people here! One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch! MWAH to all of you!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 27 2005,4:28)]common sense is the key.  I had an trade experience here that I'm still upset about, and the other person was not a newbie.  

All the other trades I've done have been perfect, and there are some very generous people here!  One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch!  MWAH to all of you!
I can't believe you quoted Donny Osmond!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 27 2005,4:28)]common sense is the key.  I had an trade experience here that I'm still upset about, and the other person was not a newbie.  

All the other trades I've done have been perfect, and there are some very generous people here!  One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch!  MWAH to all of you!
I would add to your post that if somebody was not ABSOLUTELY happy with a trade I did, I would want to know about it, firsthand!

I did a trade a while back, and forgot to include one of the promised plants... the counterparty informed me of that, and I send out a new box with the forgotten plant the next day.

Whenever a trade does not go as planned, I always assume the most charitable reason, until there is good reason NOT to. Most people will quickly and happily rectify oversights, if you let them know in a timely manner, and don't assuce them of trying to stiff you.

A "what if" scenario:

- both parties agree on a trade.
- You send a prized plant, packed well
- the post office (probably) lets it sit in a hot truck/plane somewhere and the plant arrives as mush

Is the sender responsible to get live/healthy plants to the recipient? What should be done in this situation?

That scenario and other "no fault" things have happened to me and my approach is to re-send, if possible - and/or least communicate / apologize / for the situation. People understand that odd things happen from time to time. It's just like "good busines practices".

Back