What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting your cp's (question)

Finch

Whats it to ya?
I was wondering of repoting plants after a few years to a fresh growing medium was necearry for continued health and vigor of cp's, in particular pings. Is it?

Thanks

Finch

Yes, repotting is necessary. Some growers do it every year. Others every couple of years. And of course when there is algae, inappropriate moss, or mold that just can't be gotten rid of easily. Some people "nuke" their soil media, to ensure there aren't contaminants / nutrients in it.

You mean "to ensure that there AREN'T"?

I would only repot mine in new pots and soil every couple of years, but they usually need bigger pots before that, so I have to do it more often.

the alge isnt harming anything, and i wat to know WHY it is i need to repot. Obviously the plant depleating the soil nurtrients isnt a issue, as with houseplants (but i can see the thing with pants growing bigger). Fresh medium? plants dont need it in the wild and certainly dont get it in the wild, what makes doing it so beneficial in cultivation, and why?

Has anyone actually conducted experimennts with roptting co's and compared vigor in potted/unpotted plants over a piriod of time? perhaps in a chart of some sort? Or is repotting just assumed to be beneficial because it helps other types of plans? Do we repot just because were told? Of is it a obvious benefit to the plant that wouldnt be there if you had opted not to repot? Is there a definate increse in growth from a potted plant after recovery as opposed to a plant just left there?
Would someone who just repots all their cp's because they heard its beficial actually know weather it is or not, because there is no 'control' gtoup of un repotted plants that they can have as reference?

You only need to if the palnt gets too big or the potting mix breaks down. Which you will know about when your mix starts smelling like bog gasses. Which I'll let some one else give you another word for that, which I am sure is not going to be perfume.

And what are the negative effects of the medium breaking down?

its a natural decay. It would happen all the time and if the plants couldnt cope with that wouldnt they die out in a short amount of time? They grow in bogs anyway so i assume bog gasses arnt a big deal.

Plants need to be repotted because not only does the nutrient quality of medium deteriorate with age, but the structural qualities as well. Soil compacts and loses it's ability to hold air and water. It also fills with dead and decaying root matter. In the wild, things like annual plants and tree roots work to expand and refresh the soil, storms wash up the topsoil and mix it with newly dead plant matter, and creatures dig burrows and forage just below the surface. All of this yields a very diverse strata for wild plants to grow in. In a pot, you only have a few plants, and typically they deplete the soil in similar ways, so the soil must be changed regularly or appropriate associate plants must be added.
~Joe

ok

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]storms wash up the topsoil and mix it with newly dead plant matter

so the plants dead leaved decaying on the soil surface isnt sufficent, nor is overhead watering? OK. so there not adequate. SO ill ad a WORM

JUST KIDDING!

I thought CPs didn't need nutrients in the soil.. ?

lol me too. i doint mention it because i dont want to sound disrespectfull

I thought repotting had to do with several factors. Repotting every year encourages root growth by disturbing the roots (something I remember hearing no solid evidence though) It also helps aerate the soil. Remeber plants don't grow in pure granulated peat moss in the wild. It also keeps the soil from breaking down and helps keep minerals from building up I'd imagine. All speculation though.

Makes sense.

yeh

what the! where did my post go? I KNOW i'm not going crazy! or I'm I? aaahhh!
so anyway as I was saying... insects are more of a supplement for plants. It allows them to grow faster, better, and flower.
I had some seedlings in some old peat. I repotted them and they greately improved.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ May 29 2005,12:55)]I thought CPs didn't need nutrients in the soil.. ?
Notice, I didn't say CPs, I said plants. Plants in general need a medium that fulfills their nutrient requirements (negligible for CPs, but not all plants) and their water/air requirements (this is where the structural aspect comes in.) There are plenty of nutrient-free clays, but most CPs won't grow in pure clay because it doesn't drain, aerate, or yeild easily to roots.
~Joe

Well.. you just.. you..... confused me ¬_¬

Back