What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you care?

If someone uses my pictures in a classroom for learning, sure you my photos. I'd prefer that they get permission, but not needed.
Now if you are going to place them on a website, or use them for a display to sell your own plants, I want to know. If you ask permission I will say sure go ahead and use them, but give me credit for the picture.

You're totally right elgecko.And I personally don't think that $15 is too steap since he didn't ask so there should be conciquences.Plus,it's going to a good cause
smile.gif
Good job with the e-mail,it's short but sweet
smile_m_32.gif
Let us know when or if he/she gets back to you.Also,I agree with Laura(I think she's the one who said it)that I hope the people who are going to buy seeds/plants or whatever from him don't think that that's what they're gonna get! *Niki*

I have not heard back from him, but I think I have the answer.

73_1_b.JPG

70_1_b.JPG

75_1_b.JPG

All my pictures are now gone.
I'm sure he just Googled the plant and took the image from someone else's site without asking.
If he would have asked, I hardly think I would have said no.

$15.00 is NOTHING!!!!!! I would send a very very stern letter saying that you own the copyright to the images that they are using and that they are digitally watermarked. Let them know that you would gladly license them the rights to display your images for a usage fee of $500.00 per image, otherwise please remove them!

The following excerpts (which you might just mention...) are from the book, Content Rights For Creative Professionals; Copyrights and Trademarks in a Digital Age. 2nd Edition, Focal Press.

"Under copyright rules if someone copies, distributes, or displays a copyrighted work publicly without authority of the copyright owner or its agent, then a violation of the law has occurred."

"To ensure that the copyright owner is compensated when works are infringed on, the law establishes statuatory damages, which may be sought in lieu of the others. Statuatory damages can be awarded in the range of $750.00 to $30,000 per work infringed; if the actions of the infringer are determined to be willful, these claims can baloon to $150,000 per work."

Here's a true copyright story. One time we created 3D animations for "video" for a client. Then it turns out, that some of the still images from the animations were published in a book (by a HUGE unrelated company). We had to 'educate' the publishers that we still owned the copyright to the work for print. They then tried to get us to 'quickly' sign a form giving them the rights to print the images. We said that we would license them the usage rights for "a fee". The fee actually doubled because the book was about to be released in both the Americas and Europe. They had a few more folks call at various times tring to just get us to ' just sign ' the form. Nope. End of story: we made more $$ off licensing the rights to the images than for the original 3D animation work!!

Oh yeah, great images by the way!

WildBill

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe a little, since they're trying to sell something with it. But in general, I think if you put something out on the internet, you should expect to see copies of it start popping up.
That doesn't make it okay.

Back