What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 things that take years to learn

1. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight-savings time.

2. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

3. The most powerful force in the universe is gossip.

4. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers.

5. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age eleven.

6. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

8. If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would
be "meetings."

9. The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to annoy people who are not in them.

10. If there really is a God who created the entire universe with all of its glories, and He decides to deliver a message to humanity, He WILL NOT use, as His messenger, a person on cable TV with a bad hairstyle.

11. You should not confuse your career with your life.

12. A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.

13. No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously.

14. When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

15. Your friends love you, anyway.

16. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance!

=============================
So, who else has CP psychosis?

You forgot that no matter what people beleve they will probibly do something different along with the rest of the crowd.
And a persons loyalty always lies with their real friends

Hey...wait a minute! I love DST!! I wish they'd make it a permanent change. I love having more daylight hours after I get home. And if I remember correctly, it was instituted as an energy saving device because people could have another hour of daylight before having to cut lights on in their homes and businesses. At least, that's how it was explained to me when I was a kid.

I also think birthdays (other than mine, of course!
smile_l_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
) ARE a big deal because it is a day to celebrate that a certain person came into being! Everyone is unique and special and graces this world in a way no other could in exactly the same way. So...long live birthdays!

Other than that, I agree with most of those.
laugh.gif

I will have to disagree with you PAK about the birthdays. I've had all of 3 birthdays my entire life. Actually my mother has only had birthdays when she threw them. Other then that it is the other fools in the family that get big parties. I don't know why. I guess they just don't like us, not that I care anymore. Also I am sittting at a computer with the overhead light on all day. Same if it's at night. I don't think DS time saves any money

Tre...you may have only had 3 birthday CELEBRATIONS but you've had a birthday every year since you were born. Of course if you want to get very technical, everyone has only ONE actual birth day...after that it is anniversaries of birth days we celebrate. But, whatever. Celebrations don't have to be about big parties. It IS nice though to let those you care about know that a birthday has significant meaning to you because without it, they wouldn't be in your life. So you don't get cake and ice cream and lots of presents. That does tend to slack off once you aren't a little kid any more. But it doesn't mean its not a day to mark as special in some way to those you care about. Obviously someone like a serial killer I wouldn't be jumping up and down for joy at the day they were born. But for those I care about, its a special day for me.

And maybe YOU keep an overhead light on all day but the general practice of the majority of the nation is to cut lights on (or MORE lights on) when it gets dark. And if it gets dark one hour later, then I would say it does save some on energy use. Personally I hate overhead lights and rarely use them...only if I HAVE to. They give me the willies...

As everyone knows, well at least the people of Arizona know it, daylight savings time is the first step down the slippery slope to communism. First it's DST. Then it's fluoridated water. Before anyone realizes what's happening, there'll be Marx statues in Phoenix. And they won't be Groucho.

I love DST. the farmers hate it. why? Who knows. All I know is, cows and plants don't care what time the sun comes up.

farmers hate it? most i know around here work from sune rise to sunset, what time it actually is i wouldnt think matters a whole lot.

PAK I did mean celebrations not technical birthdays. I don't know where you come from but most creatues can only be born once
smile_n_32.gif
I meant 3 times I have actually had someone you know do something for my birthday. I don't really care that much. This year I took a trip to see CPs in the Panhandle about 2 weeks after so I suppose I could count that. So what am I up to now 4? I suppose if I got technical I could count 2-3 packages a year from cousins/aunts/uncles who actually care enough to remember. I nd incase your keeping count that is at young age also. The one was when I was two (I don't remember though) and I did not count the actual day I was born because not a whole lot of celebrating there, just sleeping.

I would imagine that farmers don't like DS time because they have to work later.

Numbers 6 and 11 hold alot of truth, and the quicker you learn #2 the fewer knots you will have on the back of your head

dst does nothing really for or against farmers..

tre, farmers work for at least sunrise to sunset on normal days, and yes i do know this bc i work and live on a farm in south dakota.

thanks

Brad

Growing up I was told dairy farmers who also have an outside job hate DST because the cows don't set their clocks ahead the way the company does.

Don't think hard about daylight savings time, its use, its relationship with the earth and sun or try to mathematically calculate what difference it would make if it didn't exist for too long or blood will shoot out of your nose.

I've also heard that it throws things outa sink.... oh wait no that would be the leap year.... nvm

o_O

EDIT: Oh wait.. I see what you're saying. I thought you actually meant "sink" (faucet), not "sync" (order). I was like, 'Leap years throw things out of the sink.. what?'

Back