What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woohoo!

• Thread starter Est
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nasc

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
Tomorrow is the day that I'm gonna give a presentations of CP and relative conservation to my bio class (11th grade)! Don't worry, I'm gonna talk about NASC and all the fine folks here and at PFT. Next Tuesday I gave the same presentation (ok, so maybe a little more watered down) to the 4th graders at my old elementary school and after THAT I'm going to my mom's school to give the presentation to her 5th graders! Yahoo! I hope I don't botch it! It's gonna be interesting walking through the quad with a bunch of plants tomorrow!
smile_n_32.gif
Anyone wanna share their experience with CP presentations they've done???

Good luck - these talks get easier with time and practise. Part of the key is to catch their attention early - then it is all down to crowd control.

BR
Chris

Best luck Est! I have a feeling you'll have no trouble keeping the crowd's attention. Just remember to make eye contact and try not to say "um" - it does wonders for your appearance.
I haven't done any CP presentations, but I had to do presentations for almost every project I did at my high school, where the curriculum was project-based. My favorite presentation was my senior thesis about how robots will take over the world.
~Joe

Very cool! I did a presentation to some 6&7th graders a while back. It's a lot of fun. Good luck, know 'em dead!

- you've made the material for the presentation
- you've practiced your talk
- you know the subject material
- you've got your props

- relax and have fun! Let your enjoyment come out - it will be infectious.

Have a good time and know that you're doing a good thing (We should all be doing more of this!!)

I always raffle a free plant or two and I mention it at the very beginning.

I tend not to bring any of my very special plants that might walk away, get damaged, or suffer for months afterward (like my N. bical when it was younger) unless I have an extra. People always like to walk away with something, so I have handouts of some kind - like "Basic VFT Care" and I include a section "for more information", listing websites, where to get plants (include yourself if you have extras), booklists, societies, etc.

You will get a lot of really crazy questions so allow a little extra time for that. I'll be giving a CP talk to a group of Master Gardeners soon so I have to prepare a little more than usual.

Good luck with it & have fun!!

I love to do my CP talk. I typically start out talking a bit about how I became fascinated by plants.

This is the run down I use for CP.

- What makes a plant carnivorous?
-The VFT: If you were a world explorer, where would you find a plant like this?
-North Am. Pitcher plants.
-Sundews and Butterworts.
-Tropical Pitcher plants.

That typically takes up about 45min. to an hour.

I always make sure I have pitchers to cut open and dump out and I always have a few big sticky sundews to run my fingers through. I love Barry Rice's line for sundews and I use it all the time. When I show the sticky sundew goo between my fingers I say "Do you know what snot is?" Then looking down at my fingers I say "Same stuff..."

Thanks Barry! I love that Line!

Also when I am talking about how some of the pitcher plant species have nectar with slight narcotic properties I look at the audience with a completely straight face and say, "Now I have licked a LOT of pitchers and I am convinced that this narcotic only affects insects..."

Anyway, have fun with it!

Steve

Good luck. And brochures are on the way to you. You should get them tomorrow but it'll be too late for your presentation.
smile_h_32.gif
Maybe you can pass them out afterwards??

I'm not much on public speaking but I think if you got the nerve, it would be fun.
smile.gif

Let us know how it goes.

lol Thanks for the comments everyone! Well, the presentation went pretty well. I brought VFTS, Neps, Drosera, and Sarras. It seemed like people enjoyed it, especially my teacher. While I think I did a pretty good job presenting, I did botch one thing. I sort of... Failed to conform to the optimal 10 minute presentation length...
biggrin.gif
We wont say how much I went over... Hah! Well, it was kind of tough because I had the problem of them having to act like 4th graders (question wise, in preparation for our upcoming presentation to the 4th graders) so I had to use the most simple terms possible (was expecting this to the be slightly more advanced presentation,) and none of them had the curiosity of a 4th grader. While I did get some good questions (all of which I could answer,) I expect the 4th graders to be much more inquisitive. Well in any case, people enjoyed it and I've come up with a few ways to improve it it for upcoming presentations.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also when I am talking about how some of the pitcher plant species have nectar with slight narcotic properties I look at the audience with a completely straight face and say, "Now I have licked a LOT of pitchers and I am convinced that this narcotic only affects insects..."
ROFL!! If ONLY I'd have read that before!! Hehe, I'm not sure how much my teacher would appreciate me using that on the 4th graders, though, so I think I'll need to save it for another opportunity.

Pak, I already sent you a PM, but I figured the brochures might come after the presentaion and that is not a problem at all! Good to keep interested people lookin' forward to something anyway.
laugh.gif

Hmm, I really should prepare a plant that one lucky 4th grader will end up with (with my customary gatorade bottle of RO water!).

Sounds like it went well. Congrats.
smile.gif
Too bad it wasn't videotaped so you could play it here.

I did a presentation to the local Senior Citizens late last fall. It was a fun expierence and its always nice to show the old folks the "new" gardening, versus their way with african violets and geraniums!

I had to do a Cp presentation to some BS last Tuesday night. It was okay. They wanted me to talk for about 15 mintues including questions. I talked for about 7 and the rest was all quetion and answer time. I'll tell you some parents sat in and one mother was crazy. She kept interupting the younger boyscouts to ask questions that I guess she thought she could stump me on. I don't think it worked well since she obviously did not follow the part with Gene sequencing that her question sort of led into. She shut up then, fortunatly b/c the Scouts were getting kind of rambuncous (sp?). Actually I winged the speach. I brought in a D. capensis and let everyone touch it and I brought in S.G. So it went pretty well. I just got a thank you card in the mail which I was totally not expecting. IF I was more co-ordinated I would do a slideshow like the NECPS guys but I don't have that technology (that I know about).

Too bad I wasn't interested in CP's when I had my public speaking class earler this year! I would have gotten a perfect grade on it, because my teacher graded on content rather than public speaking.

Back