What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disection of a usb thumb drive

So my USB Thumb Drive was really great for a long time. I bought it because it claimed to be extremely rugged and capable of withstanding pressures around 2,000 lbs! Cnet ran it over with a car and it seemed to be fine. It had enough space (512 MB) and didn't have a cap to get lost. Its only weakness, as I recently found, is that the USB connecter is as fragile as any other USB device's, from printer cables to mouse connectors. When my laptop fell (not my fault but a long and expensive story), the connector was horribly bent and pulled some of the computer's port out with it (grrrrr... $300 motherboard replacement). Well - I loved the drive before so I'm probably gunna buy the same one again but I wondered what to do with the old one. I couldn't just throw something of such exquisite design into the trash without a proper burial - A disection. The following are images from that disection and the surprising outcome. Look directly under the images for my comments.

Cruzertitaniumusbkey.jpg

This is what my drive first looked like...

USB_Plug_Side_II.jpg

that's what mine looked like

USB_Drive_Open.jpg

So I used a screwdriver to open it from a sealed edge and here are insides

USB_Drive_Components.jpg

After some fooling around, this is everything I found inside

USB_Flash_Underside.jpg

This is the actual flash component

USB_Flash_Chip.jpg

... and more detailed

Clogged_USB_Plug_II.jpg

Here you can see how it was clogged and bent, though the picture doesn't show how bent it was. I realized that I might be able to unclogg it...

Damaged_USB_in_Computer_III.jpg

and I was able to use it in the computer!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Beeman%27s_USB_Flash_Drive.jpg

... but it's very fragile so it needs a case so I can use it before I replace it
smile_m_32.gif

Leatherman_mod_with_USB_Flash_Drive.jpg

... or maybe I'll add it to my disection tool. Oh well

I still need a replacement so I'm checking to see if anything new has come out since I bought this one and thinking of ways to use what I have now. To make it work, I needed to use a pliers to twist connectors and straighten things out, though it still does not fit well. At least I'll get a second life out of it...

Hope you enjoyed!

~ Brett

Pak loves pics like these I think somebody should send her a PM. I think I'll send it to her the PM myself I just love to bring her joy.

Interesting story by the way.

Hmm, interesting... If it really is as good a one as you said then
the price really isn't that bad....
tiger direct
newegg
I like how it goes in and out of the sleeve instead of trying to keep track of where you put the cap. lol
Andrew

Yup, that's the beauty of flash memory. Nice and compact. USB can be a pain in the butt... My dad bought a USB Intel microscope (because it was cheap and to play with) that came with a very un-standard USB cable: it had USB plugs on BOTH ends. Those of you snickering realize the danger of this, for those of you who don't: plugging two computers in to each other using a USB cable connection like that will result in... Well, fireworks. Well, ok, it'll at least cause some noises, smoke, and sufficiently fry both machines. Ouch. Anyhoo, interesting pictorial, but the pictrues DON'T need to be so big, in fact, they're so big that you can't really see what's going on. Reducing them to 25% of their original size is still plenty to see all the details. For those of you with firefox: Pic zoom!

Always read the fine print... Tigerdirect -
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]†This product is factory recertified.
But yes, it was reallllly rugged (aside from... well... this) and the lack of a cap was a major plus. If new egg is not refurbished I might get it from there - thanks!

~ Brett

P.S. - I know about the MASSIVE image size but I was just too lazy to crop them or shrink them and re-upload them. Sorry
smile_l_32.gif

I'm sorry I didn't mention that it could be. I didn't look...But, I personally have no problem with
factory recert stuff... Same warranty, so it doesn't matter to
me. I've never had any real trouble with anything fact recert...
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ June 07 2005,10:51)]Hmm, interesting...  If it really is as good a one as you said then
the price really isn't that bad....
tiger direct
newegg
I like how it goes in and out of the sleeve instead of trying to keep track of where you put the cap. lol
Andrew
Tiger Direct sucks!

I have only used Newegg and have been very happy with their service. Thanks for the pics!

When you said surprising outcome, I was hoping you were going to find a gnome inside or something.

Well I forgot to mention that. I also found a small gnome who I am now keeping as a pet. He was in between the flash board and the push button. I doubt he would be there in the refurbished models.

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ June 07 2005,9:02)]Tiger Direct sucks!
I understand there are alot of people that feel that way, that is
why I also put a link to newegg... I have used Tigerdirect quite a
few times. And I personally never had any problems. I also use
NewEgg and have had no problems. It's all about the price
between these two as I see it.
Andrew

So newegg is not reburbished? Hmm...

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nrbelex @ June 07 2005,10:00)]So newegg is not reburbished? Hmm...

~ Brett
No it doesn't look it. But now that I've actually had a chance to look at tiger, I that one is not either. I think you looked too far for fine print. LOL those things at the very far bottom you see.... Are on the bottom of every page. If this was factory refurb it would be much better known that just that at the bottom of the page. Here is a example of a refurb item: tiger direct refurb item. See what I mean? Not that it matters, in this case newegg is cheeper anyway.
smile_n_32.gif

Take care,
Andrew

Tiger Direct puts you on hold for an hour. Then I can never understand them (tiger direct) on the phone. The reason I call is because I have some questions before buying sometimes.

Back