What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home depot/lowes/hardware store

How does everyone convince the people at Home Depot/Loews/where ever to give them the poor beat up cp cubes for a fraction of the original price. I have tried it several times (with most of the cubes obviosly suffering) and have always gotten the response of "we aren't allowed to do that" or the garden person is not there.

I have an advantage. I work as a cashier at H.D. on Saturdays and have convinced the garden department people That I am worthy of their neglected leftovers.

u need some bargaining and persuasive skills
biggrin.gif

Here in singapore, i get dying plants cheaply as well

1)you must look for the 'weakest' sales person and go for him (The one that seems easy to convince). This is usually a lazy/tired/fedup worker. Once a 'yes' comes out for his mouth, no one can take it back

2) Don't be timid, be confident etc etc

3)"My friend/brother has done it before" is powerful!

4)Be polite

thats my 4.5 cents
smile_n_32.gif

i've never done that before... but my mother has gotten orchids before for 50% off because they had spent their flowers and no one else would buy them.

My husband works for the local Lowes, and I'm going to have to try and convince him to do his best to get me the dying CPs they have cheap. I do know they 'clearance' dying plants at some point along the way.

BTW, I also take the cubes, and drill holes in them for drainage. They actually are okay as pots (especially the lids that are deeper) once they have drainage. They are sturdier than the el-cheapo plastic pots most stuff comes in.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ June 08 2005,12:56)]My husband works for the local Lowes, and I'm going to have to try and convince him to do his best to get me the dying CPs they have cheap. I do know they 'clearance' dying plants at some point along the way.

BTW, I also take the cubes, and drill holes in them for drainage. They actually are okay as pots (especially the lids that are deeper) once they have drainage. They are sturdier than the el-cheapo plastic pots most stuff comes in.
I use mine as aquariums fro my water plants

I just take the plants up to the service desk and ask. I've done the same thing for orchids. Usually they will do 50%. Of course there was the time I got the best deal ever....$548 worth of plants for $5. Manager said I could have as many (or all) of the discount plants I wanted for $5. hehe

What I say is "This plant is in really bad condition and I don't want to pay for a plant that might die right after I buy it." They usually do the 50%.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ June 08 2005,12:56)]My husband works for the local Lowes, and I'm going to have to try and convince him to do his best to get me the dying CPs they have cheap. I do know they 'clearance' dying plants at some point along the way.

I Like. I Like! I have also been collecting the little 2" pots from the plants that they toss. Neglect on their part is my gain!
smile_m_32.gif

Hmm I'll have to try the service desk. Usually the people are trained to say no. Expecially on orchids or other "greenhouse" exotics like Cps. Sometimes they go on the half off rack though. Thats the best part about the Ace by my house. The huge garden center with the half off rack. You can get orchids for $2 if you know when to go and everything is fine on the half off rack just not as in as good shape as the new stuff (Its always the plants from the last delivery).

Back