What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A sign of to many cps...........

i was looking over my cps last night and decided to finally move what i thought was a stray Utric out of my D. peltata's pot. i grabbed a leaf and pulled, the leaf came out but nothing else, strange, doesnt usually work that way, most of the Utric usually comes with a gental tug, next step, grab more of the plant and tug, came up with just leaves again.....now im getting a bit peeved, so i grab a good solid hold yank on the plant and out comes a Genlisea with a massive amount of traps for such a lil plant along with my poor lil D. peltata. hmmmmmmmm, i repot my poor lil D. peltata and hope for the best. and now i have an unknown Genlisea to deal with, interesting delema, with Utrics i generally just toss them in the trash when something like this happens in order not to have species mix ups but i really really like Genlisea even if im not sure what it is.......so i tossed it in the LFS in the bottom of one of my Orchid tanks, i figure it can establish its self there and not cause any harm or confusion. not sure where it came from as it was in a pot on the shelf above where my Genlisea sit.

also i am currently on the warpath with D. capensis seedlings, i think im picking an average of 20 seedlings a week out of various pots and ive been cutting off flower stalks before they bloom for the last 8 weeks or so.

ahh! dont throw them away! D. capensis rock!

i'd say you have too many cp's when you have to discover two nice N. merrilliana pitchers that you couldn't find before
smile.gif

i love D. capensis but i have around 500 intentially planted seedlings, i do not want all the volenteer ones in my Utric and Nep pots

I have a 4' x 6" windowsill planter full of D. capensis seedlings.

I plan to make another of D. binata, get a little carpet of insect death going. Maybe add some U. subulata...

oooh that would look tight scott.

How densely can D. capensis grow? I seem to have had the same idea as Scott, except I'm planting in big 1' x 1' tupperware boxes. I broke my last two seed scapes up over one box filled with peat and sand, and now I seem to have one- to two-hundred little sprouts. Do I need to divide them or can they grow that crowded? I figured they'd be OK as they don't seem to have any mechanism for widely dispersing their seed (besides making a lot of it.)
Thanks,
~Joe

I'm sure there are plenty of newcomers that would welcome our "weeds"!
smile.gif

i prolly shouldnt mention the 16 or so flower stalks i cut off last night so i wouldnt have to deal with seed then huh Jim?
smile_n_32.gif

There are NEVER too many plants.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 08 2005,3:22)]i prolly shouldnt mention the 16 or so flower stalks i cut off last night so i wouldnt have to deal with seed then huh Jim?
smile_n_32.gif
Nope, you shouldn't! or sandersonii blue or cobar lilys or streams!

I definatly need some weed plants. So far I have managed to miss:
D. spatulata (my one plant does not flower) infact it may be dieing
N. ventrata
N. sanguiena
D. capensis 'thin leaf'
aggressive U. subulata

Now if only I could find someone with cuttings of N. sanguiena and red D. capensis who would give them away
smile_m_32.gif

I may actually have D. capensis (red) to spare. I'll have to check.

wel when ur unknown plants flower post a pick im shur ethe experts here might be able to ID it

Back