What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain water

• Thread starter fudog
  • Start date
Ok Im getting some starter cps from a couple people on the forum (thx guys). My problem is i dont have the spare cash for distilled water yet. It just rained here last night and most of this morning. I collected about 3 gals of water from the roof run off. It didnt go though any guttering just right off the roof. The apt.'s I live in have tiled roofes paint black it looks like. So what im asking is do you guys think the water i collected will work for the cp's?

i would use it.

i think distilled water is only 68 cents or so

Its like $2 a gal here. Im glad to hear you would us it makes me more confident that im not going to kill the plants with it lol.

WOW! TWO DOLLARS!

i guess everything must be more expensive in california! i live waaaay across the country in Georgia.

since you live in california, just make sure it's not polluted badly.

Yeah everything is high dollar here. Part of the reason the water is so high is they add charges for the bottle. Then when you recycle it you get that back. I moved here from MO about 5 yrs ago. It was like i moved to a different planet.

The water seems clean and clear. It was raining half the night so i figured that most of the bs was rinsed off the roof.

Fudog, do you have any place where you can refill jugs with water? I get reverse osmosis water from the store. It's like $1.69 a gallon off the shelf, but only $0.39 for every jug I refill from the purifier in the store. The rainwater should be OK, but you may need to buy water eventually, and $2 a gallon is highway robbery.
JustLikeAPill makes a good point - watch out for acid rain and stuff.
Best luck,
~Joe

Thx ill look in to that i know where a few of those water machines are.
I dont think I have to worry about acid rain out here where im at. Im about 8 hrs north of LA. in the valley.

I catch rain water in a cut-off gallon jug, then I add it into the distilled water through a strainer.

I'm with Seedjar...many grocery stores now have water filtering machines so you can Jug Your Own.  Here, if you use their jug, its 99 cents...if you bring your own its 39-cents.  Not bad if you can get 10 gallons of pure RO water for only $3.90.  If you don't have a ton of plants, that can last a long time.

I use both collected rainwater and store RO.  When my rain barrel runs dry I use the store bought.  Distilled cost too much.

I also bought some fiberglass screening from Lowes (which is cheap and really useful). I use it both over my rain barrel and I fold a piece up a couple of times, put it in a funnel which I put in a jug...and I pour my rain water into the jugs. The screening helps filter out some of the crap that can collect in water outside...leaves, dirt, bugs, etcs. So I end up with pretty clear, pure water (except at pollen time).

BYOJ

Back