What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping regulations

jimscott and I are trying to get some plants shipped to Hawaii, but they have a few rules. The one thats giving us a hard time is that they can't be shipped with soil.

My question is, is peat, LFS and other CP mediums considered soil?

Heres the site with the information...

Site

what do you guys make of it???

Thank you
smile.gif

I would think thst peat would be considered soil. I don't think that LFS would be though. What plants are you shipping and can they be shipped bare root with a damp parper towel?

I was thinking along the lines of D. dielsiana, capensis, filiformis, aliciae, as well as some terrestrial Utrics (livida, sandersonni, etc...)

They are considered soil unfortunatly. At least my inspector said so.

I also live in Hawaii, so I know how difficult it is to bring plants into the State.  But that's as it should be because there are already too many alien species that have made their way into the wild and are crowding out the native species, many of which are now endangered.  All imported plants have to be inspected.  I suggest calling the State Plant Quarantine Station at (808) 832-0566 to find out exactly what's okay and what's not.

Tropics is it true that Neps have been introduced into the wild in Hawaii? And on what islands? Have you ever seen them? Hmm If so I know I'll be visiting to take pictures if I ever get to Hawaii.

Well I'm supposed to send N. x rokko to Hawaii because of the auction? What the heck am I gonna do now?

I would tell the person that they have to set up everything that's needed to get the plant.

All plants require inspection upon entry into the state.
Plants must be apparently free of insects and diseases.
Plants do not need to be bare-rooted but the growing media cannot contain soil.
Parcels brought into the state by mail or cargo must be clearly labeled with the words "Plant Materials" or "Agricultural Commodities".
Shipments must be accompanied with an invoice or packing manifest listing the contents and quantities of the commodities imported.

I think this is do-able! It allows for some sort of media, whatever that means. All one needs to do is find out what "media" means to them, separate and distinct from "soil". They ARE making a distinction between the two, but are just vague.

At the very worst, plants can be sent in moist paper towels, without "soil". No big deal!

Treaqum: To my knowledge, Neps have not been introduced into the wild in Hawaii. The climate is right for many of them, but the soil conditions aren't. However, if anyone knows otherwise about them growing in the wild, I'd like to know.

I haven't heard of them growing in the wild either. If they were, I think I'd have to go out and collect them.....

To save the Hawaii eco-system of course
smile_m_32.gif
lol

Michelle

here's a cool link to a nursery that grows Nepenthes in Hawaii on the big island

Back