What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home movies figure set: brendon

Hey guys, here's the first few step of making the Home Movies figure series. Some of you may remember I did Coach McGuirk. I recently did roughs of all three kids (Brendon, Jason & Melissa) in green toy wax but with the studio gig I didn't have time to go further. Tonight I made a aglinate mold and poured a wax copy of Brendon. Have a look if you like:

Original green Castilene copy, pink Azbro wax copy, pink aglinate box mold (molded as one piece and cut open with an xacto

wax2.jpg

wax3.jpg

This photo shows how the wax shrinks as it cools, so that's why you have to give your parts and figures those platform shoes!
wax1.jpg

From the pink wax copy I'll add final details and carve/sand the material to get the ultra smooth and soft "toy" look with no surface blemishes. This wax is as hard as ABS plastic once cooled but beomes pliable with a heat gun or candle flame/hot dental tools... From the finished copy (you see his hands are undone and arms legs too fat) I will make a silicone master mold which I can cast urethane plastic into to make a paintable figure. But the original figure can always be cast in wax to easily create an all new version of Brendon! Say I wanted to give him the Starboy outfit Cast a wax copy, pose him add melted wax and carve out the suit make another silicone mold and voila instant "starboy" prototype with out starting from ground zero all over again! I can't wait to make a Jason variant figure with dredlocks and peace sign bandana!
smile_n_32.gif

Wow! This is so cool..love to see the pics of the process! Aprilh

Back