What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've got an empty pot...

One of my six VFT's from my original order in 2002 recently died and now I have an empty pot with a perfect mix of petflytrap soil but I dunno what to put in. So far, aside from the flytraps (dente, green dragon, red dragon, common) which have been a great success and my sundew which is doing OK, I haven't looked into any other CP. Will the others do well in the same soil mix? Can they be obtained bare root? I'm looking to find something new to add to my collection. I might have to wait 'till I get a summer job to buy anything but any ideas? Thanks!

~ Brett

P.S. - These plants are on a Westchester, NY bathroom window. Sometimes I keep the VFTs covered with a clear plastic cup, sometimes I let 'em breathe. I keep the sundew covered year-round. I'm not looking for anything too difficult but a slight challenge might be fun.

~ Brett

What kind of sundew is it that you have? If it's a small one like D. spathulata then you may be interested in some of the more active sundews, like D. capensis or D. prolifera, which curl/fold in over their prey kind of like a VFT. What exactly is in the soil? If it's peat and sand, or peat and perlite, then there are a lot of sundews you could grow - most sundews like peat and sand or perlite - and it would really just be a matter of paying attention to light and climate requirements. Something from the binata group would be well suited to a windowsill, I think. Pinguicula and Utricularia would also work in that soil, but you'll have to consult a more experienced grower for species, as I don't know anything about Utrics except that mine are easy, and I kill butterworts like it's not funny. Sarracenia are compatible with that type of soil, but you would need to keep it outdoors, as they don't do well without lots of direct sunlight.
Best luck,
~Joe

I guess the soil is what came with my flytraps, what petflytrap.com describes as...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Our own soil mixes - the perfect blend of Canadian Sphagnum Peat and sand or Canadian Sphagnum Peat and Perlite. For use in transplanting your carnivorous plants or for use in our Jungle Pot terrariums. Don't guess if the soil you are buying at the local nursery is the right mix for your plants, buy what we use here in our shop! Mix is approximately .25 cubic ft. (wet)- will fill 3 six inch pots, five to eigh 3 inch pots or one Jungle Pot terrarium. (two bags recommended for the 3 gallon jung... $3.99
smile_m_32.gif

I'm not sure what Sundew it is but it used to sold on PFT and it's not what's there now. It does well on-and-off.

Thanks!
~ Brett

Back