What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gardening rules aka 50 ways to kill plants

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
In an e-mail I once opened I found the following:
Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it was a valuable plant.

Blatantly ignored the instructions for my P. moranensis and severely overwatered this winter. It's punishing me by taking months to die. I once burned a plant I was particularly not fond of in a big aluminum pot with newspaper and sticks, I'd say that killed it. I've killed several cacti by overwatering, but I was a little kid so I didn't know better.
I think that my first rubber tree died from loneliness - I had it on a table by itself and it just started wasting away, never to recover.
~Joe

Plants in general? How haven't I killed them? That would be a much shorter list. Let's see...Round-up "drift", on purpose, accidentally, over and under watering, not enough light, too much light, wrong soil, improper placement, backing the car over them, neglect(benign & otherwise), the opposite of neglect, resentment(in the case of the Darlingtonia), evil thoughts, evil intentions, the "glove of death", and drunken gardening.

I use a stream. Just add plants and wait for first torrential downpour. It is quite effective.

Oh.... temperature and humidity shock is even faster and more effective. 70 degrees and AC -> 90 degrees and Bermuda high. Wilts in 2 hours!

yes I also "weed" occasionally. I always hate it when I do.
I have put plants in sun that were not accustomed to it.
Boasted on how well my plant was doing
+ various other persutes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Boasted on how well my plant was doing

Boasting is a SURE way to kill a plant, especially one you are very partial to.

Not enought light, too much light, too much water, too little water. All the basics. Oh I have taken a weedeater to some. Oh and burning poison anything is not a good idea, my dad accidentally does it from time to time. I always get the rash and he comes out unscathed.

I've done all of the above,except for Jim's stream one
smile_n_32.gif
~Niki~

You know, I forgot about this thread back here.

I
confused.gif
how many times I forgot to drill drainage into a custom container. Then trying drill holes as water is running down your arm while a hole is finally opening.

Joe

Oh my, that sounds like a "Laura" move not a Joe move. I've tried to drill drain holes in the bottom of seed germination trays after I had already filled them.

Back