What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2000-year-old judean date tree seed sprouts

• Thread starter Est
  • Start date
  • Tags
    leaves

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
"A date palm seed found during archaeological excavations at King Herod's palace on Mount Masada, near the Dead Sea, and whose age was confirmed to be 2000 years by carbon dating techniques has sprouted into a young tree.This historic seedling which sprouted 4 weeks after planting has grown six leaves and one has been removed for DNA tests. Scientists hope that the unique seedling will eventually yield vital clues to the medicinal properties of the fruit of the Judean date tree chronicled in the Bible and the Quran and which was long thought to be extinct."

The Article

I try not to bring up things that I figure you guys will see ni your daily news sweeps, but I think this may slip under the radar for some (watch it be on the headline of CNN.)
smile_n_32.gif
Anyway, enjoy. It's plant related and interesting.

Wow! Neat article Est. Thanks for posting it.

Now THAT's amazing! Thanks...I hadn't heard of this. Its really mind boggling. I love stuff like that.
smile.gif

Cool!

Now if only nep seeds were so time resistant....

thats just... amazing.

I bet that tree is worth a butt-load of cash..

it could auctually cure cancer! did you hear that!

stomp on my dreams....

want my heart too? it'll be on the bottom of your shoe!
biggrin.gif

the lwaves dont look very healthy... are ther emore because they only were given 3 out of the catche.. how would the female produce fruit without a male? there not goiumg to cross it with a morn date are they?

Back