What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures from john hummer's acid wetland day

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I went to John Hummer's Acid-wetland ecology day June 11, 2005 in Caroline Co. VA.
When I was there, there was over 30 people in attendance. John discussed some of the carnivorous plants he had around his pond and other vegetation that grow in the same habitat.
Many forms of Sarracenia a few different Drosera and Dionaea muscipula grow along the banks of the pond. A few different aquatic Utricularia and Aldrovanda vesiculosa grow in the pond.
We then went back to the house after going around the boardwalk that encircled the pond for lunch of sandwich meats, cheese, and other picnic foods.
I really had a nice time and enjoyed seeing the plants growing in a natural area. I hope to return if John does this again.
Thanks John for opening up your pond to me and the other's that attended the Acid-wetland ecology day.
I enjoyed it very much.

Picture-4558.jpg

Picture-4560.jpg

Picture-4569.jpg

Picture-4580.jpg

Picture-4581.jpg

Picture-4583.jpg

Wow, those are some healthy-looking plants! Great pics, too!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Capslock

thats so cool, did he buy land with the pond in peat soil or did he build any bogs for his plants?

He bought the land and the pond was so overgrown it was not accessible. He has cut some trees and does controlled burns. John laughed at that saying, saying controlled as not burning his house down.
This was a natural occurring pond created by many seepage points that come together to form the pond.
Everywhere you look there are Sarracenia growing. He has only had the land for 4 years I believe, and he thinks it will look the way he wants in another 5 to 10 years.

WowWowWow! Those flavas/leucs are just beautiful-not to mention the pond! Great to hear that they are protected and receiving good "care".

Stunning. I just got done staring at that flava for like five minutes there... it's fantastic. I can't get over how healthy and robust it looks. It's very striking to see plants in their natural (or managed natural) environment, not trimmed clean and segregated into pots. It makes me want to take a trip to Sarr country right now... having only seen D. rotundifolia in the wild (I found it all by myself!) I've always wondered what all these plants on my porch actually look like on their own. Thanks a lot for sharing!
~Joe

PS - Wait a minute, it should look the way he wants in five to ten years? You mean it's going to get better?

Wow...the plants are beautiful. Your photos are beautiful. I wish I could have gone to it. Right down the road from me.
smile_h_32.gif
*sigh* Maybe next year.

Thanks for showing the photos though. It must have been a great day.
smile.gif

WOW.....I wish i could do that...lookat the sphagnum so lush, so plumey!

I had the great honor to see John's place on Saturday (6/25)--GORGEOUS. John was a very gracious tour host. I also had the great pleasure of meeting PAK (Suzanne). I could not imagine spending the day in the company of better people.
smile.gif

Same here Joe.
smile.gif
It was a beautiful day surrounded by beautiful plants. Joe is the nice guy I thought he would be. John I had met before at MeadowView but didn't get to talk with him much until Saturday. He's a wealth of information and a very nice, accommodating host.

Hope to see your photos Joe.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ June 28 2005,5:41)]Hope to see your photos Joe.  
smile.gif
You will see photos. It will just take me a little time to fit in loading and making sure they're the right size!
smile_m_32.gif

I just talked to John today. He says things are so much further along then when I was down, so I hope to see the pictures soon too.

Those are amazing photos elgecko! Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

Joe...are you making sure you avoid the PhotoCop? hehe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ June 28 2005,10:55)]Joe...are you making sure you avoid the PhotoCop?  hehe
Yeah, I met her in person and she seems real mean! Don't want to get on the bad side of an otherwise good person!
smile_m_32.gif

Gee...I don't think I want to meet her...she sounds rough...
confused.gif

Back