What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paypal policy changes

Paypal has been a very convenient method of payment for me for a few years (seems like a few yrs) (both for paying and receiving funds).

I just received a notice that I cannot receive funds from accounts that are funded with a credit card since I have a personal account (free). If I upgrade to a premiere or business account - then I can receive these funds but I will also be required to pay a charge for transactions.

This appears to be a very recent change in their policy but, as usual, I cannot locate information on their site that provides details of a 'change in policy'.

I have been reluctant to provide them w/ my bank account information given the people I hear about who have had difficulties with their service (would hate to find out that Paypal emptied my bank account and then I can't even get anybody to answer a phone (Visa people answer the phone)). For me - this reduces the usefulness of the Paypal service by about 98%...
mad.gif

- are people aware of this change (and I'm just the last to know?)?
- are people giving Paypal their bank info or leaving things alone or...?
- are their alternatives to Paypal?

I've said it before, paypal are thieves. They will randomly steal money from peoples account and refuse to give it back until you provide them with even more sensitive account info.

There is a better way to send money
Greenzap

I have signed up but I haven't used them yet. So I can say how well they are. They can't be any worse than paypal.

Greenzap

I got an email about change of policy. I just deleted it thinking it was one of those phishing things.

Well .... the ccard companies take a slice of the pie, so Paypal loses money when they receive funds from someone via a Ccard. It should be no surprise they are trying to recoup the loses.

its probably spam/phishing/scam.
I would delete and ignore it.

Scot

I have never had a problem with Paypal. I use cc and my checking account with them.

I had to upgrade a few months ago when I received money from someone's CC. That was the first time I ever accepted money using PP, I always used it to pay people.
It's .30 cents + 3% of the transaction amount. I do not think it's that bad of a fee to pay to accept money from a CC. I never had any problems with PP either.
Otherwise if you trust someones check, you have to wait a few days to get it and then make sure it clears, or have them send a money order and wait to get it.

The problem is, they charge you that fee even if the payment isn't funded by a cc. I sell stuff on ebay for cheap, a lot of times it's like $1 or $2. $1-paypal fee - ebay fee leaves me with squat. So i simply won't upgrade and insist on payments funded by a bank account.

Here's some dirt on Greenzap, I'd be VERY careful about giving them any sensitive info. You can't do anything with their webcash at the moment. beware of greenzap

I didn't really read through all the info but it seems to me that could be a site funded by paypal to scare people from trying greenzap.

I have only been using PayPal for a short while...I resisted.  But it got too hard to make eBay payments with money orders so I finally gave in.  So far no problems, but I did have to verify my bank account.  I needed to be able to accept payments when selling on eBay.

I don't ever use links in emails that take you to websites like PayPal, eBay, AOL, etc. having to do with verifying anything. Best thing to do is go DIRECTLY to their website where they should have any policy changes posted.

It does sound like phishing to me.

As evil as paypal is, i don't think they would do such a thing. And there are LOTS of anti greenzap websites out there. Just read the "evidence" and comparison and it will all be clear. Greenzap webcash cannot be withdrawn into your bank account. And nobody knows which stores you can spend your webcash at.

Never never never follow email links that ask you to input any sort of user/pw/financial/personal info!!

Both ebay and Paypal you can forward the email to them for verification.  spoof@ebay(or paypal).com

As far as fees to collect money.. That's the price of doing business!

Sounds like Phishing to me...be careful.

Back