What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome lowes find!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
They have huge plastic cubes with a VFT, D. adelae, and a Darlingtonia in it. all very healthy. only 8 bucks a cube!

GO to lowes NOW and buy them. i got three
smile.gif

Man, I wish the lowes on the west coast carried that brand. I know they ones in the midwest do, and they are the best deal for cps you can find in a nursery. Booman floral from the west coast is also a great company, and I posted pics of the plants on my site.

What is the brand name on those CP cubes back east? LOL is right though, Booman floral does have some Good quality plants, though they're geared toward the kids. They call their D. capensis "octopus plant" and the pings "starfish plant". And their nursery is located about 20 miles from here(San Diego).
LOL, have you checked out their nursery? They are on Bautista Rd. in Vista. My brother in law's mom lived right next to the place until about '91, when she passed away. I always wondered what they grew in the greenhouses by her house.

In SE PA they come from Botanical Wonders. They look like a great idea, but they are really death waiting to happen. They sit on their shelves with no appreciable light and no air circulation. If you get them, you will need to re-pot and acclimate them to new conditions. They also combine plants with differing growing requirements, especially for the winter. $8 is a good price as compared to the $10 here.

Clint, sorry to be so negative, but I've bought those things before and came to realize of their shortcomings.

At the Lowes about 30 minutes from my house I bought a nep, a ping, a drosera, a flytrap, and a cobra lily for 4 dollars each. They all died because I put the wrong light in the terrarium. x.x The light perfectly simulated sunlight during the summer. It got from 70 degrees to 100 degrees in the terrarium in less than 2 hours. They were all in decent condition too! The nep was really small it was definately a baby and it looked quite healthy. I must've gotten there at the perfect time because they obviously hadn't been there for long. I remember they were called "Bug Biting Plants". I haven't been lucky enough to see them there again. *sigh*

My Lowes carries those but I never bought one until recently. I got 2 because one had a darling FLOWER which was just beautiful...and also the darlings were HUGE.

By the way...I recently "proselitized" for the forums. Saw someone looking at those cubes at Lowes so I stopped and talked to him. Talked about neps and told him about the forums. I gave him one of my business cards which is set up as a promotion for TerraForums. hehe I hand it out to anyone I see looking at CPs at Lowes or the Greenhouse.
biggrin.gif
I'm always recruiting new CPers!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 16 2005,5:49)]Clint, sorry to be so negative, but I've bought those things before and came to realize of their shortcomings.
huh?

i know how to grow them all... i mostly grow nepenthes but i couldn't pass up $15 worth of plants for 8 bucks!

of course i repotted them all and they are now in their proper environment

Are the plants in the cube really close together? Apparently those are bad, because they're an impossibility to separate, as I heard on TF long ago.

I bought one of those, as at the time, they were the only way I could get a Darlingtonia... But I DID successfully separate them, almost immediately in fact. The three plants were crammed in there very tightly.

The Darlingtonia was large and healthy, and is now in a 7" pot, sending up new pitchers. The D. adelae was small, I moved it to a 3-1/2" pot and it is much happier.

The VFT was another story. The plant was small, and having been crammed in under the Darlingtonia, the leaves were growing deformed and the traps were toothless. After repotting, it is starting to do better, but the new traps are still small, and the leaves are long and twisted. I only hope it recovers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 16 2005,1:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 16 2005,5:49)]Clint, sorry to be so negative, but I've bought those things before and came to realize of their shortcomings.
huh?

i know how to grow them all... i mostly grow nepenthes but i couldn't pass up $15 worth of plants for 8 bucks!

of course i repotted them all and they are now in their proper environment
I was under the mistaken notion that you were trying to cultivate them as was. I should have known that you would have the wisdom to immediately re-pot and deal with them, accordingly.

For people whose first plants are coming from these cubes, without experience, this is a deadly set up.

About 6mo ago, I bought Darlingtonia at lowes for $2.50 each!
And even stranger....they appeared healthy! I put them into pots and into my terrarium where they are thriving.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, I also got a D.adelae which I put directly next to a D.adelae I already had......it died within 2wks.
smile_h_32.gif

Seems like a hit-or-miss with lowes....but what else can you expect.

I never really thought of it..but I guess sundews could be like an octopus. They both have tentacles.

Back