What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, what do you do for a living

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I work for an environmental laboratory, in the Metals Department, prepping samples for analysis. I also prep & analyze for Mercury. I also work for Home Depot on Saturdays, as a cashier.

So, are you a student or a stay at home parent or corporate executive or...?

student, IT major, probably going into Web Development

i work at a weekly newspaper in the middle of nowhere, cirrculation of around 2500. as with any small buisness i do a large number of things. i was originally hired as a press man, to run our 5 different presses and other various equipment in the print shop but as soon as my boss(now my wife) discovered that i had an actual brain unlike the guy i replaced, i got put to work doing lots of other stuff. i also set copy on a limited basis, check and make sure we have all the ads on the pages every week, everyone here is also a photographer at some point. i can run our photo lab: do 1 hour work, photo calanders, photo greeting cards, enlargements ect ect ect. i do a lil bit of everything except write stories.

in my "free time" i vollenteer for various clubs im apart of: Optimist Club, Elks, and Walleyes Unlimited. who ever says there is nothing to do in this small town is full of crap as i have no free time and only actually am at work 5 days a week most weeks

I was a photography major in college.
geography minor.
(graduated 1992 SUNY New Paltz)
I did the geography minor because I wanted to study aerial photography and cartography...I was more interested in the scientific side of photography than the artistic side, and graduating with ONLY a photography degree wouldnt have made me able to be much more than a wedding photographer..
I wanted SCIENCE too!
actually, if I knew then what I know now, I would have gone to college for Enginnering instead! but im still happy with the way things have turned out..

my first 5 years out of college were spent working at minilabs and small photogrphy stores.
(MotoPhoto)
I also taught a college photography class for 2 semesters, at Corning Community College,
and I worked in a few pro printing labs, mostly custom-printing wedding photos.

10 years ago I got a job at Eastman Kodak, and im still there today.
Im an Image Scientist.
I work in R&D at Kodak.
My group works on digital printers and makes the imaging algorithms that power the Kodak "Perfect Touch" system.
(its basically automatic digital dodge & burn!)
http://www.kodak.com/eknec....th=1307
the little demo doesnt really do it justice..it can lighten shadows AND darken highlights at the same time..all automatically, in a fraction of a second..
its slick!

its a fun job!
smile.gif

Scot

I stuff junk mail!
smile_n_32.gif

I run a Phillipsburg Master Mailler II and sometimes a Bell & Howell AIM Intelligent inserter. These are machines that insert paper into envelopes (like your 5  page electric and phone bills, bank statements, stock statements, etc.) It' some boring work, a chimp could do this but I get paid decent for it (I've got a decade of experience doing it). The schedule is 12 hour days, 2 on 2 off 2 on 2 off... never the same days off each week but it gives me time to work also at a local toy studio and work on all my own crazy projects and still feel responsible by collecting a steady paycheck.

At the mailing place we are really only super busy 4 times a year, on the business quarters: January, April, July and October the rest of the time there's not a lot to do since 90% of our jobs are stock/tax related (we don't do catalogs, ads for cable TV or pizza shops, etc just confidential stuff)  There's work the other months but it's little bits here and there but we can stay and get paid to draw on scrap paper or read books go  just home early I always take the night off if there's nothing to do. I love that!
laugh.gif

I started off as a physics grad student, and stopped short of the Ph.D. I instead got an MBA, and spplied my math and computer skills to quantitative finance.

I now work in the energy industry, designing models that value energy assets.

I am studying the interaction of Spo0A with sigmaH-RNA polymerase at the spoIIA locus of Bacillus subtilis.

I also have side projuect of Spo0A regulation of the skf locus and spoIIG locus.

I play with dogs all day
smile_n_32.gif

smile.gif
 I also walk and groom them plus I clean up after them
laugh.gif
 I love it! ~Niki~
Oh yeah,plus I volunteer at the Multicultural Society,SPCA and the hospital where my mom works.I take in my animals(ferrets,rats,dogs,bunny)and talk with the elderly that live there.

I follow bills in Hawaii’s legislature related to health care because I work for an association of hospitals, nursing homes, home care agencies, and hospices.  I write testimony for bills that our members either want passed or want stopped.  (Others on the staff go to hearings and actually present the testimony.  That’s fine with me because they spend hours of their time just waiting around for their turn to testify for a couple of minutes.)  I also edit the newsletter.

Pyro, please translate what you do into English.

i think he works with bacteria.........Bacillus is a bacteria some times used to make antibiotics

I pick on innocent people.

good thing im not innocent
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

LOL! Me either. I didn't do it, and I've only had a couple beers!

Capslock

I'm an electrician. I have worked in almost every kind of job you can imagine. I have worked in steel mills, power plants (including nuclear plants), hospitals, military bases, and on and on. I have wired some projects for nationaly known companies like Proctor & Gamble, Goodyear, Walmart ect.
I have stopped doing electical work two times. Once I got a job calling people on the phone to raise money for charities. The other time I got a job driving a locomotive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ June 17 2005,3:03)]I pick on innocent people.
How 'bout the guilty?

Can you fix a speeding ticket for me?
smile.gif

I'm a student. My major is forensic anthropology....... at the moment anyway.
I also watch 3 girls and clean my grandma's house for food and gas money.

I need a real job!

I am a graphic artist and do marketing pieces for ONE office out of a large and icky real estate company. Our office is the only office in the corporation to have a "me" (in-house designer)...its a great recruiting tool as I offer customized marketing unlike anyone else can get at other offices.

I worked in advertising for 12 years. Loved it...crazy job, high pressure, great people, lot's o' fun amidst the hard work. I have a B.A. in Fine Art, a background in printing. I'm "old school"--high quality, detail oriented and good at what I do...if ONLY my supervisors could see outside of the box and let me be creative the way I can be.

If you know what a pica is...I love you.
biggrin.gif

Pyro...loved your answer. lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also watch 3 girls
You mean you can get paid for that? Where do I sign up for this I've been doing it for free for years.

Back