What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manowar kings of metal

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Hey folks, and Mabudon in particular  
smile_m_32.gif

Here's the first few hours on sculpting the Manowar mascot model kit from the cover of their records. For you non-metallers this one is from Kings of Metal LP.

manowar1.jpg

manowar2.jpg

manowar3.jpg

I'm still looking up some good facial reference since they never show the face (or feet) of their guy, hence the blank head. The sword is just tacked there for the pic.

Thanks for lookin!  
smile.gif

Is it gonna be a kit for real Josh??? I do all my painting in 25mm scale or thereabouts, working on something in that scale would be a blast, so PLEASE let me know if it's gonna be available in any form however limited
And is this just bait since I haven't replied to your last couple topics due to unfamiliarity with the subject matter
smile_m_32.gif

Looks GREAT so far- you really have the "coiled tension" thing going on exactly the way the Manowarrior should be....

for feet I'm still gonna suggest either fur "booties" with leather straps or leather sandals that go just above the ankles, but I know even without input you'll "Cook" up something good

And I stil have them skeletons, just been going through a relatively "Zero Cash" period lately darn it

CAN'T WAIT to see the one-up on this

I just knew you were waiting on this one so once I finally got started on him I thought I'd better let you know!
smile.gif

I'm hoping to make him a kit, I'm sculpting it with that goal in mind (keeping it "moldable") since I know a few people who "need one" aside from myself.

I've fixed his upper back anatomy quite a bit since the photos, including getting out the jewelers saw and cutting off muscle and totally resculpting! Also the ring holding arm I've raised a bit higher over his head so it matches the cover art better (I'll get some new pics up monday night before I gotta go back to work).

Yeah, I've been thinking of the furry Conan boots as well since it's such a Frazetta's Conan-ish painting!
laugh.gif

He'll be on a 6" base of rocks and the fallen flags since I recently leaned a great trick for fabrics and I need the practice.

BTW have you seen the new Iron Maiden figures by Neca? There's a 7" and 18" size Somewhere in Time Eddie and a 7" Piece of Mind Eddie with an asylum wall diorama base. Both are really well sculpted in comparison to the Iron Maiden figs released by McFarlane a few years back.

I want a sculpture of the lead singer for Iron Maiden..Bruce Dickinson...:;): Oh, that long, flowing hair...those legs!

Cool statue! I checked out manowar on iTunes about a week before i saw this, and i thought it was pretty good. Talk about irony.

Actually, no kidding April, I have been thinking about sculpting a Bruce Dickinson! From the old Run to the Hills video with the large spikey arm bands , this was also his longest hair days!

yes, I "need" one I think...
Still trying to think of suggestions for the face- maybe Kerrgan from highlander (can't recall the guys name) although the guys face is a bit too squarish- gotta have the eyes really squinty, though, I'd imagine- you could always just use Eric Adams face as a jumping off point maybe...

Can't wait to see the next phase man!! (but I will, of course)

And thankls for mentioning the new Maiden figs- the McFarlane ones were kinda really crummy somehow- I always thought the idea would be good but when I finally saw the figs they left me somewhat cold..

(BTW how cool would a "Powerslave Eddie" be, maybe 8 inches hig, so you could have that pyramid in your garden or as a paperweight- THAT would rock and be pretty easy to do... hmmmmm)

Josh...that would be awesome! Now I have to go listen to some Iron Maiden...:D

From the Powerslave LP I really like the Eddie Sarcophagus from the back cover.  If I did the front cover the nerd in me would insist that I have to sculpt the parade of tiny figures filing up into the Eddie pyramid!

One dark secret on the sometimes "crappy" look of figures I learned from the toy studio. No matter how amazing the original is once it goes to the manufacturing plant it is always resculpted with a machine from the original model sent. Thus dulling and even obliterating detail in some pieces. One problem is that those Mcfarlane Eddie heads were retooled too small, he looks like zippy the pinEd! The resculpted and retooled articulations are then used to create the steel master molds at the production facility. It's pretty sad when you can hold the actual production sample/boxed retail piece and the original wax and see how much detail is lost in the PVC, ABS injection molding production process action figures go through. The only things which still look just about perfect after manufacturing is the cartoony kind of toys (family guy, garfield, nemo, etc) who's shapes are more definate geometrics with few actual details - i.e. nothing to loose. Resin model kits on the other hand are an exact copy of the original sculpt why they don't do silicone/urethane production on a huge scale is weird. They only seem to do it for collectible statues that you pay out the nose for at shops like Suncoast Video and Tower Records!
smile_n_32.gif

My DH builds models...and he's also scratch-built stuff, too. He did an Enterprise that came from a kit...but he scratch-built the finer details and re-shaped the hull and stuff like that.

Mostly he builds aircraft from kits...he built me a 1/48 scale P-38 Lightning that is just gorgeous.

Back to the subject..there is a magazine called "Fine Scale Modeler" that we get and one of their main complaints is how such a loss of detail occurs when the item goes from artist's rendition to retail kit. DH buys a lot of resin model "correction" parts for the kits he buys retail! There are lots and lots of people out there, in their garages, making resin molded parts for commercial modeling kits.

There's an actual underground industry of resin model kits, magazines like Kitbuilders and Amazing Figure Modeller are pretty much based entirely on charachter models. All of them sculpted molded and cast by hobbyists, many of these guys get picked up by the toy industry to sculpt their master prototypes when they see the "bootleg" kits in the modeling mags and online forums!

There is also Modelers Resource which ranges from the sci-fi vehicles to kitbashing/customizing and some figure modeling. I like the first two best as Kitbuilders is 100% full color and mostly written by sculpture forum members, it's cool to see their stuff in print. AFM is the same format but partly B/W and not as timely as Kitbuilders. Since I don't do much/any vehicle modeling I haven't read through too many issues of the other mags in the hobby section but I always page through 'em at the newsstand in hopes I'll see a cool tutorial. I've never been brave enough to try sculpting a starship or something from scratch!
smile.gif

Back