What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tokyo, japan trip

Dave S.

NECPS President
I will be going to Tokyo, Japan (first time) for business in a couple of weeks.

Are there any "must see" botanical gardens for cp or bonsai?

I have searched online and there seems to be a good deal of gardens which look good, but since my time will be limited, I am planning to see just one.

I might have some free time to spend on the morning before my return flight.

Sorry I have no idea...but have an awsome and safe trip
cool.gif
~Niki~
laugh.gif

Hi Dave

There is actually a small park specifically devoted to CP's near to Tokyo. It is in Chiba which is around an hour from central Tokyo.
It's called Nanso- shokuchu- shokubutsuen which means Nanso (name of the area) Carnivorous Plants Park/ Garden.

Here is a link to the main page:
Nanso- CP Park

I'm guessing your computer won't be able to "read" Japanese characters so here is another link to the page that has a map and details of opening times, etc.
Map and opening times
The phone number is on the bottom of both pages.
Have a good trip, I would be interested in hearing what this place is like if you make it.

Cheers, Troy.

For bonsai, visit the master Masahiko Kimura. There is a book called, "The Bonsai Art of Kimura" that is amazing. He is also featured in many of "Bonsai Today" magazine articles. Inamachi, Japan. I used to have a bookmark for his site and can not find it now.

For CP, try and find Isseien Nursery. I can not find a link, but there are wonderous things that come from that place.

Tweek

I was at that Chiba garden long before I had an interest in Carnivorous Plants. I recall very little other than that it was interesting at the time but my recollection is that it was unremarkable. I may have photographs but they would be regular 35mm.

Bonsai pops up here there and everywhere throughout Japan just like koi ponds. The Bonsai seems to be more of a Chinese deal though as opposed to being the rage in Japan. The Chinese are into Bonsai and little shops are everywhere.

The gardens you should try your darndest to get to would be in and around Kyoto. Pretty much every one speaks English over there so anyone will try to help you get there even if you don't know them. Feel free to trust anyone who befriends you, it is their culture to help and they will be offended if you do not accept.  We had people get on public transportation with us to make sure we got to where we needed to go. The Kyoto gardens are by far world class and no one garden stands out from the others. I suppose the Golden Palace is most photographed but there are others of equal or greater beauty. The last time we went back we focused on Hokkaido which is the northern most portion of Japan. Out of all of Japan, that is my favorite region but those Kyoto gardens will give you goosebumps they are so breathtaking.

If you want to make a big hit with any of your business associate hosts, bring baseball caps to give out as gifts of any major US team. We buy them by the dozen to take with us to give to anyone who is kind to us. Many Japanese love baseball and golf and smoking cigarettes. Those that smoke seem to chain smoke inside of small rooms- eek.  But God love em they are the most hospitable people in the world in my humble opinion. The country is so safe that we could easily lose our youngest child over there and be rest asured he would be provided for until we were matched up. Your trip will be safe although Tokyo has changed a tad.

I am so happy for you that you will have the opportunity to visit that country.

I am leaving this week for a little mini vacation with my family until after the 4th of July holiday or I would go dig up photo albums which would jog my memory.

I've been going through and deleting threads from my topic tracker and found this.  How did your trip go and which gardens did you visit? Have you any photos to share? Aren't the Japanese people awesome! I bet you want to go back again someday.

My trip was really good. My work schedule was too difficult to break away, but I did manage to spend a few hours at Shinkjuku Gyoen (public garden). I was looking forward to the greenhouses, but they were close by the time I got there. No pictures this time.

Yes, the Japanese people I met were very nice. I would like to go back there again. I spent most of free time (nights) in Yokohama Bay which is just south of Toyko.

I might be going back there in September.

In the past, I traveled for business from time to time. Never anywhere other than the continental United States but I recall a few trips where I had relatives in the area and  I specifically asked that my return flight be bumped out a few days. Then there was one time that I asked to leave a few days early to be able to go shopping of all things. I know... terribly female. To the best of my recollection, all I had to pay was the additional meals and hotel expense.

Would you be in a position to ask your employer to get you out there a few days earlier than when you are needed or to let you stay a few days longer than necessary so you would be able to bebop around and explore a little on your own?  It's a horribly long flight to get out there and you might as well capitalize on already being there. Just a thought.

Back