What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What other hobbies besides cp?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elarwhis @ June 21 2005,12:56)]Goodness. Where to start...
I like to play trad. Irish tunes on my tin whistles. I listen to a wide variety of music - ska, punk, emo, Irish/scottish trad., original score soundtracks, some classical, swing, jazz.

I tend to like Celtic style music, but as much as I like the traditional stuff, all I have on CD is more of a Celtic/Fusion sort of thing... Clannad, Loreena McKennitt, and the like.

Any suggestions to add to my collection?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elarwhis @ June 21 2005,12:56)]I also greatly enjoy watching anime. Sci-fi & Star Trek(TNG rocks!).

I enjoyed ST myself, but I preferred Babylon 5. I've lately been totally grooving on Sci-Fi's new adaptation of Battlestar Galactica. I am a little embarrassed to admit it, but I am addicted to Buffy: The Vampire Slayer... I have all 7 seasons on DVD.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elarwhis @ June 21 2005,12:56)]Then there's computers(and any other shiny electronics). Can't forget that one. I'm a bit of a computer geek....I use Linux. Windows is evil.
lurk.gif

You do know that girl geeks rock, right?

I was a UNIX geek in grad school, but now, I'm in the corporate world, and that is mostly Windows, which sucks a lot less with the advent of XP.

Godzilla, Indiana Jones, Spiderman, Passiflora, finding new music no one has ever heard of.

oh! star trek ROCKS!
I used to like babylon 5 until they changed the time and now I lost track and stuff.

i love all my animals 6 birds, 2 ball pythons, a ribbon snake, 2 tarantulas, and some fish. i enjoy camping,fishing,boating,hiking every spare minute i find is spent outdoors. i enjoy listening to good music, hard rock preferably, and making my new home be an impression of me.

one of my pleasures in life is going to thrift stores, goowills, yardsales etc and finding REAL vintage clothing that's 30 or 40 years old.

my prize so far is a belt buckle from the 60's that's sterling silver with brass flowers and accents on it with a big C in the middle( my name is clint so i bought it
smile.gif
great detail and craftsmanship.

i really want a leather jacket like the kind the black power guys wore in back in the day. a REAL one. that caramel color is so cool.

i wouldn't ever wear vintage shoes though... i have a foot phobia. i can't stand naked feet and to wear someone elses SHOES
smile_k_ani_32.gif
no way!

Cruising the forum, reading SciFi, teasing my daughter, playing RPGs on my computer (I occasionaly even play one all the way through), listening to classical music, Celtic music (Chieftans is a good group), rock instrumental music of the 50's and 60's (anyone remember Telstar?), teasing my daughter, watching animé, and I occasionally play in my postage stamp sized garden. Did I mention I like to tease my daughter?
laugh.gif

I remember Telstar, as a golden oldie, of course!

Jimscott and BCK..you must be **** Dale fans. Cheers.

I do the native plant thing, ride horses, cook complicated foodstuffs, play music, go to thrift stores, and yard sales. Freecycle. Ceramics(wheel-thrown and hand built).

Oh yeah! I forgot all about anime! I think that a ton of anime is crap, but I enjoy mostly cyberpunk kinds, like Akira, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Bebop. FLCL rocks, and Paranoia Agent was awesome. I really like all of Satoshi Kon's movies, and Hayao Miyazaki's entirely overrated. Each one of his films is about "modern humans learning to co-exist with nature". By the way, Duke Nukem 3D is awesome! That's also what got me hooked on computer games!

I have no other interests outside of CP (except for)
Martial Arts- yagyu ryu sword
shorin ryu karate (3rd dan)
aikido Ueshiba ryu
Firearms: Weatherby Mark 5 chambered for .308
J & S Hawken rifle, black powder--- .54 caliber
H&K VP70Z-- Standard Nato Issue, 9mm
Music: Martin 0-15 1948
Gibson B-25
Dobro Hound Dawg (Bottleneck blues)
Play some bluegrass, some folk, ragtime guitar, all
fingerstyle. But my passion is Olde Delta Blues
Guitar, all fingerstyle and slide guitar.
Archery: Martin Cougar
Bear Bearcat (1967)
Jennings Model T
indiancrafts: Tanning buckskins using old Sioux methods
Making Indian clothing (war shirts, leggings,
moccasins, war clubs, plains style bows
and arrows.)
Medicinal herbs and oils (Native American and
European)
And plants! Lots and lots of plants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! I tried making a bow last year. I gave up a day into it. Yarn doesn't make a good bowstring.

Is Yagyu Ryu like kendo? It looks the same, except with solid wood katanas.

Mannex, All jiu-jitsu forms have their own style of swordsmanship. We practice with bo-ken, the wooden sword, and square off with metal blades. I only took the sword form as I was already studying aikido, which is a jiu-jitsu form all by itself.
Bows are a pain to make until you get used to it. Plains indian bows are incredibly strong from the glue/sinew backing. The arrows are fun, but knapping the flint is the hard part. Flint tips cut cleaner than any metal blade could ever cut, and are even finer an edge. You want a real pain? Try building a muzzleloader from scratch! AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

I have access to a complete state of the art machine shop
smile_m_32.gif

Not a problem!

I like to knit, garden, and imagine long, tortursome deaths for my "friends".

I'll list my hobbies, I'm sure I'll forget some.

CP's, orchids, bonsai, photography, mountain biking, canoeing, hiking, camping, tropical fish, lizards, hunting fossils, woodworking, Magic the Gathering, video games mainly PC RTS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (elarwhis @ June 21 2005,12:56)]Goodness. Where to start...
I like to play trad. Irish tunes on my tin whistles. I listen to a wide variety of music - ska, punk, emo, Irish/scottish trad., original score soundtracks, some classical, swing, jazz.

I tend to like Celtic style music, but as much as I like the traditional stuff, all I have on CD is more of a Celtic/Fusion sort of thing... Clannad, Loreena McKennitt, and the like.

Any suggestions to add to my collection?
Hmm.. Well, personally I lean a bit(ok, ok, a lot...) towards stuff with flute/whistle, because I play, but here's a good general starter list:
-Flook - if you buy one cd it must be one of theirs. Words cannot describe the incredible awesomeness.....
-Michael McGoldrick & John McSherry's At First Light cd is incredible, Michael McGoldrick's solo stuff is pretty good too, but not all of it is completely trad., some jazzy, fusion stuff.
-Tannahill Weavers - Great scottish trad band
-Cherish the Ladies - all-female Irish band
-Cheiftains are good; their older stuff is best;
-Lunasa is good, although, personally, I only like their first, self-titled album.
-Alan & John Kelly's Fourmilehouse is some of the purest Irish trad I've ever heard. Incredible.
-Clann An Drumma is a uber cool pipe & drum band w/ some sweeeet percussion
-Siúcra - irish; singer has a great voice
-Dervish - irish
-Old Blind Dogs - scottish
-Kate Rusby
-The wooden flute obsession cds from WorldTrad is comprised of a large number of irish trad flute players, or music including flute. great stuff.

if you like sea shanties, drinking songs and other fun, sing-along stuff:
-Darby O' Gill
-Great Big Sea
-Stone Soup Band
-Barleyjuice

good online radio stations:
LiveIreland - channel 1 - irish trad.
Highlander Radio - good, all around celtic stuff

that should get you off to a good start. Some of the bands I listed are indie, so their cds are a little harder to find, but nowhere near impossible.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (elarwhis @ June 21 2005,12:56)]Then there's computers(and any other shiny electronics). Can't forget that one. I'm a bit of a computer geek....I use Linux. Windows is evil.
lurk.gif

You do know that girl geeks rock, right?
Of course!
smilies13.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was a UNIX geek in grad school, but now, I'm in the corporate world, and that is mostly Windows, which sucks a lot less with the advent of XP.
yeh, XP isn't as bad as its predecessors, but it's still windows.
pbbt.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i have a nasty habbit of cramming myself full of things.
animals big time; fostering is where it always begins, then you start to keep one or two...then three hundred animals later you find yourself single and confused.:p (kidding)
Oh do I feel for you as I'm in the same boat.  

I'm building a battlebot.

Back