What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp growers in maine

C'mon, come out of the woods if you live in Maine and grow CPs. There must be more of us in this wonderful state.

John

Maybe I am...if I am do I get some kind of prize?

I never grew CPs when I lived in Maine. Didn't when I lived in Mississippi either. But I do here in the city in CT. Maybe there's some psychological or philosophical explanation, but I don't think about it.

Hortman, do you know of the New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS)?  You should try to make a meeting, they are on the second Saturday of each month (except July this year) and the show is in October.  Most meetings are in Providence, Rhode Island.  Here's the website:  NECPS

Michael...and Bruce, thanks. Can you tell me what the meetings consist of? It would be quite a drive and I'm wondering if it would be worth it. Do you know if any of your members reside in Maine?

John

NECPS...nice website! I recognize Schloaty.

How about bringing a group up to Maine on a fieldtrip to visit some of the bogs and Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens? I'd be glad to arrange it if you think there would be interest.

Hi Hortman -

PM me and I can give you John's email. John has the list of who is where.

One of the upcoming meetings will be a BBQ at John's house. That would be a nice meeting - John has quite the collection & lotsa orchids too.

Our 3rd annual show is set for Oct 8 & 9. Some folks will be staying over in Providence that night. That would absolutely be worth the drive - and bring any plants for display too! CP vendors are there too - so you can add to your collection too.

WildBill

WildBill, I sent you a PM...

Thanks for your help!

You'll have an easy time growing a lot of stuff (highland neps, heliamphoras, temperate pings, D.rotundifolia) that is very difficult here in Atlanta.
smile.gif

...I live in Massachusetts, I'm a bit closer to Maine obviously. I myself have an easy time growing most temperate CPs, although the outdoor growing season gets quite a bit shortened as it only starts getting up into the 60s and 70s in May. As for highland Neps, Helis and the like...I do not have an easy time with these. In the summer its alright mostly, but in the winter it gets too dry and TOO cold! Most people I know who do grow these plants either have a special growing chamber for them or a greenhouse. I actually have an easier time growing lowland Neps.

Back