What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what point do we start pitching tea......

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
I know. They want to cage us. Burning a flag sucks, but I would not stop anyone who wanted to from burning it. Their own conscience should dictate their actions. It makes a statement, no matter how you feel about it.

I wonder when the rable will arm themselves to make a statement against this sort of nonsense. All of the sudden the right to bear arms seems to be a little more important.

Missing the point, Dave. Changing the regime's is what is important. New blood could not do any worse than the same tired crap the D's and R's have been feeding us for many years.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ June 24 2005,9:21)]I wonder when the rable will arm themselves to make a statement against this sort of nonsense.  All of the sudden the right to bear arms seems to be a little more important.
Hard to do, if we allow politicians to interpret the 2nd amendment to mean we are allowed sporting rifles, and handguns for defense against street thugs only.

That attitude is what got us the assault weapons ban, and banning large-caliber weapons.

No.

The second amendment is there so the government always properly respects and fears the people.

And that ain't gonna happen if we continue to allow them to chip away at the Second Amendment to the point we are only allowed popguns that can't pose a serious threat to the government.

And this is coming from somebody who used to be fairly pro-gun-control.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]At issue was the scope of the Fifth Amendment, which allows governments to take private property through eminent domain if the land is for "public use."
What part of "public use" do the SC justices not understand?   Using eminent domain to take property from citizens, so it can be sold to a private corporation to make a profit is not "publice use".

This is perhaps the most dangerous decision the Supreme Court has ever rendered.  It should not...will not stand.

How quickly the mighty empire crumbles. We can all say we were witnesses to the begining of The United States' fall from the top. Every empire in history that has collapsed under its own weight has done so for one reason, the government stopped working for the good of the empire and instead worked for the good of the individuals with in the government. The people who will finance and build these buildings are those who control the government, most of our represenatives are business owners or are closely tied to business owners, so this would be a good thing for them. I have long believed that the United States was in its decline ever since the fall of the Soviet Union, and to me this is just more evidence of that decline, and it seems to be crumbling faster and faster all the time. Its time for a whole scale overhaul of the people in power, or its time to prepare for the inevitable.

interesting isnt it, this desition and the burning of the flag stuff going on in congress days before the 4th of July, the day we celebrate our freedom from tyranny? if thats not ironic i dont know what is.

ive done lots of reading since my original post yesterday and here is what i come up with:

#1 this desition does not go in the face of the 5th amendment, the desition just basically says that developing land for the intents of generating tax revenue can be considered "using land for the public good"

while the guberment has to abide by: "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation" from the 5th amendment. what is just compensation? i dont get why the government can take your land that you bought, paid for, put your blood sweat and tears into, has all your family memories in? what is just compensation? if i dont want to sell my land why should they be able to make. who cares if they are giving me current market value, who cares if its 5 times what i paid for? its MY TEN ACRES AND NO ONE ELSES! if i dont want to sell it so some one can put in a Wal Mart thats my buisness and no one elses! what happened to the American Dream? is it now the Corprate American Dream?

#2 if you have a state law that saws your state and city governments cant do this sorta thing than they cant. i think i heard that this ruling will have lil effect on Colorado due to their current state law and they probably arent the only ones. get in touch with your state representatives!

#3 i still am with you guys who say we definatly need to change things, and ASAP! this kinda ruling though really starts making yah think the 2nd Amendment is a good thing to have around doesnt it? big brother is in the pockets of big buisness, that fact should be as plain as day now.

i am emailing south dakotas congressmen rihgt at this moment...this cannot stand...i do know that the usa has a check system for this sort a deal....but i ant very sure how it work, too bad i didnt listen in my history classes.lol

thanks

BRad

here is an interesting take on this ruling..
this person is saying that basically the media is blowing this way out of proportion..(big surpise there..)
and that the supreme court has done nothing except say "leave it up to the states, we are staying out of it."
so this supreme court decision does nothing new as far as emminent domain..it changes nothing.
I havent read enough about this case to know if he is right or not..
but here it is:

http://www.ngdiscussion.net/cgi-bin/NGDFcook.pl?read=61355

it used to be basically that emminent domain ment that it had to be absolutly for the public good for example parks or widening a street ect. this ruling basically told all city and state officials that you can purchase private land for "just compensation" and put in a strip mall so you can collect more taxes. like i did say it isnt an unconstitutional ruling in the simplest sence. however the message it is sending to private citizens is loud and clear. money talks and you[Joe Citizen] can take a hike.

If I remember correctly, there aren't even plans for some of the land.  If so, it isn't even necessarily going for a known "better" use.  It'll just sit idle until some parasite with dollars comes whispering in the New London Developmet Authority's ear.  The poisonous influence in this country isn't gay marriage and it isn't flag burning.  It's money.

A flag burner shows more respect for the flag than just about anyone.  The flag burner sees the flag as a powerful symbol of the nation, its leaders, and its actions.  To really desecrate a flag, attach it to the car antenna and let it fade into tatters.  Actually, if you want to see some serious flag desecration, watch what'll happen in newspaper ads and car dealerships next week as the July 4th specials start appearing.  The flag as a marketing gimmick is the worst desecration of all.  If a New London landowner burned a flag yesterday, it wasn't desecration.

Guys, I mean it! Say it with votes! You want change, then vote, and not for ANY democrat or republican. Real change can only happen if the system is different. It will never change under the republicrats or the demonazis. We HAVE to get other parties in their, and I mean immediately. The old leadership in this country no longer leads-----it panders.

I REALLY dislike being called a demonazi.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 24 2005,12:00)]#3 i still am with you guys who say we definatly need to change things, and ASAP! this kinda ruling though really starts making yah think the 2nd Amendment is a good thing to have around doesnt it? big brother is in the pockets of big buisness, that fact should be as plain as day now.
I had an epiphany yesterday.

That ruling made me realise the true purpose of the 2nd amendment.

It's not so you can have sporting rifles to hunt.
It's not so you can carry a handgun to defend against crime.

It is so the government always properly fears the people.

The first two are just happy side-effects.

From this point of view, it is imperative the 2nd Amendment not be stripped of its teeth by restricting weapons sales to the point that anything that poses a real risk to the government is illegal.

I bet the NRA gets a boost in membership over this.

The ruling goes beyond emminent domain. Emminent domain was when government could take over private property for the public good. This ruling allows private entities to take over the property if they can increase the value/taxes on the property.

I think the Constitution needs to be amended. Supreme Court Justices should be elected. And for set terms, just like all the other swine.

There is a provision in the Constitution that allows "We The People" to overthrow our government if it is not functioning properly. Does anyone think that the powers that be would ever allow this?

They would roll out the troops just like at Kent State. And the tanks.

Our politicians have sold "We The People" out. To add insult to injury, it is not to even the highest bidder. It is to the lowest bidder.

Why is everything made in China now? They use slave labor, they execute prisoners for organ harvesting to sell on the open market, and have murdered close to 2,000,000 Tibetans.

Look at your own neighborhoods. How many small businesses have gone bankrupt because they can not compete with slave labor?

That and the lack of regulations similar to our OSHA regulations or enviromental regulations. China does not have these costs factored into the price of their inferior goods.

Wal-Mart is the largest importer of Chinese made goods. The next time you shop there, just think of the small businesses that your dollars help close its doors. That and the bullets those dollars will buy in China to commit genocide.

Shop somewhere else.

And here I was...getting all misty-eyed that I had missed all the revolution of the 60's.

"I can't get no...satisfaction."

Tweek

April, no one called YOU anything. But I can if you would like. First, well said Tweek. And now, back to our program. GET RID OF THEM!!!!! They are like aphids in our lives, that even orthene cannot kill. The only way they will die is if they are no longer voted in. STOP VOTING FOR THESE LOSERS. I especially like the way they always blow things out of proportion on unimportant issues. Things that do not matter. And then while your attention is riveted somewhere else, they can screw you over there where you are no longer looking. Stop falling for the crap they dish out. 99% in favor of their pockets, and taking our hard earned cash. The feel of the business world is changing too. Where I work now, we are constantly threatened with our jobs if we don't do as we are told. It never used to be this way. We all had our thing to do, now, nobody knows what to do. Just like how this country is run these days. Boot them out, kick'em to the curb, tell'em to go home. We need new people, fresh ideas, and the countries best interest at heart, not some corporate plan to rule us. If this message is lost on any of you, then you will get what you deserve by voting in the same old thing over, and over, and
over, and over---------------------
Stop screwing yourselves, say it with votes and let them know WE WILL NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! And leave the rest of the world alone and let them deal with their own darn problems.

Well said bugweed. I am sick and tired of these politicians. Especially Bush. And the way he misled the people on the war in Iraq. And social security. Cutting benefits in 20 years? Like the cost of living is really going to get lower? Yeah, right. It's going to cost twice as much to live then than it does now. He is going to make sure that people will be living in a cardboard box when they retire. Of course it's illegal to live like that.
Darn near every day I read about another one of our rights taken away or another law restricting something. What happens to the old laws? They stay on the books and are still enforced.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the Constitution needs to be amended. Supreme Court Justices should be elected. And for set terms, just like all the other swine.
Exactly. how can the president appoint these losers?
I didn't vote for any of those people, but it doesn't seem to matter, he still found a way to get elected. I say impeach him.
When I was a kid, I was told that any U.S. citizen (except felons) can be president. That was then. Now you have to have real deep pockets or you don't stand a chance.
I can go on and on and on............

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ June 24 2005,8:33)]Well said bugweed. I am sick and tired of these politicians. Especially Bush. And the way he misled the people on the war in Iraq. And social security. Cutting benefits in 20 years? Like the cost of living is really going to get lower? Yeah, right. It's going to cost twice as much to live then than it does now. He is going to make sure that people will be living in a cardboard box when they retire. Of course it's illegal to live like that.
Darn near every day I read about another one of our rights taken away or another law restricting something. What happens to the old laws? They stay on the books and are still enforced.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the Constitution needs to be amended. Supreme Court Justices should be elected. And for set terms, just like all the other swine.
Exactly. how can the president appoint these losers?
I didn't vote for any of those people, but it doesn't seem to matter, he still found a way to get elected. I say impeach him.
When I was a kid, I was told that any U.S. citizen (except felons) can be president. That was then. Now you have to have real deep pockets or you don't stand a chance.
I can go on and on and on............
Ron,
in this case its the liberal supreme court justices who are in favor of taking your land away to benefit the rich..
the ones who were appointed by democrat presidents.
the conservative justices are against it..
dont forget to be outraged about that too..and dont forget to be outraged at your "own side"..
you are obviously highly partisan, so I just wanted to help you to be propery outraged at your own people..

Bugweed has it right..
this isnt a liberal or conservative thing..
its a US GOVERNMENT problem.
ALL of them.
they are all the same.
partisan politics has nothing to do with this..
everyone should be outraged, at both sides of the aisle..

Scot

There are no justices on the Supreme Court who a liberal would consider to be very liberal.  There are some a conservative would consider to be very conservative.  Ginsburg has some liberal bonafides and Breyer is left of center, given how far right the center has shifted, but neither is the liberal equivalent of Rehnquist, Scalia, or Thomas.

Here are the justices and who appointed them:

Stevens (Ford)
Kennedy (Reagan)
Souter (Bush the elder)
Ginsburg (Clinton)
Breyer (Clinton)

Rehnquist (Nixon)
O'Connor (Reagan)
Scalia (Reagan)
Thomas (Bush the elder)

Notice that seven were appointed by Republican presidents and two by Democrats.  The first five voted in favor of the taking and the last four voted in favor of the landowners.

In contests between money and people, money is winning.  As the nation swings further and further to the right, money wins more and more.  The solution isn't to swing even further to the right.

Back