What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm rather proud of myself

When I moved into the (current) house the entire yard was ST. Augustine Grass, which is highly invasive (although not classified) and my most hated weed. Another problem is this grass is a favorite or rather has a symbiotic relationship with Fire Ants. So after 2.5 years of toil I finnally have a decent tropical (hardy) garden. Not all plants are native but they all are preforming wonderfully and many are mature. Teh entire goal of this garden was to create a "wildlife highway" from the wood,swamp and lake behind my house to the neibors (accross the street) wildlife highway to the other woods and lakes around the golf course. Today I noticed it is in full use. Armadillos live in the garden and have for about a year. We actually have lizards again at my house and the feral cats are nowhere to be seen (I actually think they got picked up by animal control). Mockingbirds and morning doves built nests in it this year and cardinals seem to be checking it out. Gulf Fritteries, Swallowtails, Monarchs and firey skippers abound. Dragonfiles along with my cps are keeping the mosquietos relitively in check. The weeds aren't nearly as bad. Yesterday I saw a male and a Female hummingbird sitting on a branch and so I put out some nectar (I think they maybe nesitng somewhere. Which if they are I would be extrememly proud. Today (this mrning actually) I saw a as of yet undientified 8 inch, fat, greyish, hairy mammal near the edge of the garden. I only saw it for a few seconds though. Bird fequently sleep in the garden. Flying squarrals used the wren nest box this year for their own nest box. Really it has come qutie a long way even if I don't exactly have all natives.

Sounds very nice. I wonder if that gray critter was an opossum? Are they in your area?

great! good job
smile.gif
More people should do that.
do you have milkweed? the monarch population has gone down... we need more monarchs! I have some milkweed but so far not a monarch in sight
smile_h_32.gif
I also have parsley for swallowtails... nothing either... and I have P. incarnata which is good for gulf frits but I don't think they live around here lol... enjoy them for me since I can't
smile_h_32.gif

some hummingbirds do stop by sometimes though
smile.gif

It would have to be a baby opossum. I know (and had experience with) a possum with babies will not tolerate them being along and if you come within 10 feet you better be well armed or prepared to run
smile_h_32.gif

Yes I have milkweed. Alpha I would advise you make a small stand of it. Each caterpiller usually eats a whole plant by itself (Aclepsis tuberosa).

Good job, Tre. Do you have pictures? Did getting rid of the St. Augustine grass get rid of the fire ants?

No current pictures. Well most of 'em are gone.

Back