What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What email do you use and why?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have Windows 98 and dial up. I have asked a few friends and have gotten a variety of suggestions. Things are centering around, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, and Hotmail as the best. I will soon be ditching Earthlink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use hotmail mostly because its convinient in my opinion. It has 250mb of storage. It is also very user friendly with all the buttons being clear and visable. Gmail is my second option, but not really user friendly. I guess it gets better if you use it more often. The unlimited storage space for Gmail is tantalizeing, but you'll probably never use it. I don't know about yahoo, I tend to stay away from yahoo products just becuase I don't like it. Zongyi

gmail, i can send you an invite if you want, just PM me with your e-mail address.

i use yahoo cause its done everything ive wanted it to do and more. i have 1 gig of space and it doesnt cost me anything

I like gmail because it stores conversations as threads, not as individual emails scattered in your in-box.

I use three email addresses:

1) A hotmail address for registering things. I know it will get spam, but don't care because this is all I use it for.

2) A gmail address for private correspondence ONLY, and

3) A work email address for business.

Capslock

I'd recommend doing multiple mailboxes like Capslock here says. Gmail is pretty good by my understanding. I use the boxes provided by my ISP (Comcast) and my school, because with them I can at least get support when I need it, and they have POP service so I can use an email client on my computer and not have to deal with their web interface. I used to have some Yahoo addresses I used for junk mail, but I'm always having to make new ones because I forget the passwords.
BTW, would somebody mind shooting me a gmail invite? A friend was supposed to send me one but he's a total flake. :) I think my email addy is public in my profile, but if it isn't I'm seedjar@comcast.net, as if you folks couldn't figure that out. ;)
~Joe

Earthlink email & web access & newsgroups (through my Sprint DSL ISP) & Gmail.

I agree with the others who recommend multiple accts. Although it takes some getting used to, Google seems to have done a good job with their Gmail.

Seedjar - sent you an invite.

I use gmail exclusively for my personal use, and hotmail & yahoo accounts for subscriptions, online purchases, etc.

Hey thanks guys! I got two invites already, don't worry about sending more.
~Joe

I use yahoo and plus they upgraded me to 1 gig. It does the job I get e-mails and I can send e-mails. Plus it is free.

i use gmail. you get over 2 gigs (and counting) of storage. It's easy to find old easy old e-mails and convenient when e-mailing people back and forth.

Gmail is the best I've found.

yahoo. Great space and it's free. wish I could get the spam editor working better. The bad thing is spam can't be blocked unless it goes to your inbox.

Okay, thank you all for the input and I m by no means closing things off right now. I am just responding because I have a moment.

Question: If I establish an account on my home pc, will I be able to see the "opened" mail at work, when I follow through with getting them on this pc?

Update on Earthlink: I got an instructions as to how to update my account and followed through with it. When I checked my open Email at work, they all disappeared. I hope to get things set up with something other than Earthlink this weeked.

Awhile back a friend extended and invitation for Gmail, so I have an account with them. I also have one with Hotmail, for the IM that i rarely use. I also have or had an account with Yahoo for the even rarer use of YIM. Hey, they even dumped me because I hadn't used it since October!

Admittedly, my knowledge of computers is functional and its plowing through the terminology and settings that hamper me. I wish I could pocket ya'll for that.

At this point, the consensus is leaning toward Gmail, but to have at least one other. if nothing else as harmless repository for spam.

Again, thank you all.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 29 2005,3:54)]Okay, thank you all for the input and I m by no means closing things off right now. I am just responding because I have a moment.

Question: If I establish an account on my home pc, will I be able to see the "opened" mail at work, when I follow through with getting them on this pc?

Update on Earthlink: I got an instructions as to how to update my account and followed through with it. When I checked my open Email at work, they all disappeared. I hope to get things set up with something other than Earthlink this weeked.

Awhile back a friend extended and invitation for Gmail, so I have an account with them. I also have one with Hotmail, for the IM that i rarely use. I also have or had an account with Yahoo for the even rarer use of YIM. Hey, they even dumped me because I hadn't used it since October!

Admittedly, my knowledge of computers is functional and its plowing through the terminology and settings that hamper me. I wish I could pocket ya'll for that.

At this point, the consensus is leaning toward Gmail, but to have at least one other. if nothing else as harmless repository for spam.

Again, thank you all.  
smile.gif
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Question: If I establish an account on my home pc, will I be able to see the "opened" mail at work, when I follow through with getting them on this pc?
yes

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pinkerton @ June 29 2005,5:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Question: If I establish an account on my home pc, will I be able to see the "opened" mail at work, when I follow through with getting them on this pc?
yes
just to explain why: the e-mail is saved on their servers so it can be accessed from anywhere

I'd definately go with gmail. More than one email address is a royal pain. Gmail is really good and it's really fast and I NEVER get spam. Well I didn't get spam until I registered with this one place, then I got some. But I created filters and it gets sent right to my trash folder now. There's unlimited storage too, I haven't deleted a conversation since I got it.

I use gmail.

It is user-friendly if you take the time to understand it. It has, currently, over 2.3 GB of storage space, and counting.

There is a program you can download that hacks the gmail inbox so it looks like a drive on your computer. You can drag and drop files to this internet drive just as if they're on your computer, but they're not. So it is nice backup for files you don't wish to lose, and it is a great way to share files between (say) your home computer and work computer.

Thanks, Scott!

Just an update: I intended to use the long weekend to uninstall Total Access, possibly do a "clean re-install", and continue with what Gmail offers as far as security is concerned.

However, for the past three days, my pc has been running extraordinarily slowly. It is so bad that when I type, the letters appear 1 or 2 minutes later, instead of instantaneously. Changing windows has been equally as bad. It hasn't improved, even when I did System Tools - Disk Clean, Scan Disk, and Defrag, as well as Ad-Aware. I don't thnk I have a virus, but ya never know.

I have also been having a "Murphy's Law" week with computers, in general. Two nights ago I came home from work and attempted to get on the Internet - but couldn't. We had a thunderstorm and it knocked out our phone service. A couple hours later, the phone service was restored, but the computer couldn't connect to the Internet. Don't know why. Yesterday morning, however, it did, and it ran like a 120 year old human.

Yesterday, instead of hitting the reply tab to a PM, I hit the delete tab. This morning, after taking forever to type an Email, I decided that I had enough of Total Access, and did an uninstall. I had to shut down and restart and then the Connection Wizard popped up and had to re-enter phone numbers. I think I made a small, but significant mistake and when I went to connect to the Internet, I couldn't. No matter what number I used or how I tried to retrace my steps to correct a possible mistake, I couldn't. The message box kept on saying the line was busy, but I really think it was me - but I don't know how to correct it. So now I have no access to the Internet with that pc and the two Emails I never got to, are now MIA.

To add insult to injury, for those of you who know I work at a lab and analyse Mercury samples, I am in the middle of a run as I type and the instrument thought it would be a great idea to stay in one autosampler tube and consume all of the sample, without producing a reading or moving on to the next location.

Also, my IM accounts, which have been a little inactive - have been closed out.

This has not been my week for computers!
biggrin.gif
At least the plants are doing fine.
smile.gif

My 19 year old son / computer geek and I are going to resolve the home pc issues this weekend. See ya'll Tuesday!!!

After a thunderstorm your modem doesn't work...I hate to tell you this but I think your modem got fried! It happened to me a little while ago and I had to get a new modem and now it works like a charm! I also unplug my modem every time it storms now.

As for your slow computer, if you don't have a virus scanner and remover I'd suggest you get avast! antivirus. It's really good and free and it's very efficient. You can download it from download.com. ad-aware is also probably the best spyware program out there that's free.

If I were you, I'd get a new modem and then download avast! antivirus and scan. Also make sure your virus definitions are up-to-date. And then if all else fails, yeah, you gotta restore it. And if THAT doesn't work, then you may have a fried computer as well. x.x Surge protectors are a VERY GOOD thing to have. I think a fried modem is very common nowadays, it happened to me last year and it happened to my friend like..2 weeks ago. At least modems are cheap. BTW, I got mine at Wal-Mart for 30 dollars.

Back