What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Correct english

ok, me and *cough cough* some friends are having an argument.
what would the the correct way to ask someone if they listen to music that's in spanish:
"do you listen to spanish music?"
or "do you listen to music in spanish?"
?

I think it would depend on what you were really asking. One question is stronger than the other. If the matter were whether or not you listened to Spanish styles of music, the former would be appropriate. If the question pertained to the language of the lyrics, the latter would be easier to understand.
But I could understand someone calling music in Spanish "Spanish music" even if it were contemporary or some other style not exclusively associated with Spanish, so the first question could go both ways.
~Joe

I just ask if they are into rock "en Espanol" Don't know if it's grammatically correct, but I've been turned on to good bands that way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ June 29 2005,10:40)]ok, me and *cough cough* some friends are having an argument.

OK, since your post is entitled "Correct English", I must nitpick:

"I and some friends are having an argument."

Or, even better:

"Some friends and I are having an argument."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ June 29 2005,10:40)]what would the the correct way to ask someone if they listen to music that's in spanish:
"do you listen to spanish music?"
or "do you listen to music in spanish?"
?

"Do you listen to spanish music?" has the nuance that you're asking if they listen to music that is culturally spanish.

"Do you listen to music in spanish?" makes it clear that you are asking if they listen to music, be it hip-hop, reggae, dance, or whatever, that happens to be sung in spanish.

I think it's "Do you listen to Spanish music?"And I agree with SarraceniaScott,it's "My friends and I..."
smile_n_32.gif
*Niki*

You and your friends need to go see a movie or something.

What would it connote to ask if someone were to listen to Hispanic music?

endparenthesis is right LUIS. I'm the one who asked "Do you listen to Spanish music." Though he knows what I meant, him and AE won't quit arguing about it now. I, however, have somehow managed to keep myself out of an argument that was started because of something I said. a stupid argument, by the way. :p

to me, "do you listen to spanish music?" means music that's culturally spanish. like the mexican hat dance or that particular style (can't remember the name)

"do you listen to music in spanish?", to me, means listening to ANY and ALL music , american, japanese, etc that's been translated into spanish.

Actually, if you want to nit-pick....MUSIC has no language. Music is music. Music can be enjoyed by any nationality around the world regardless of which language you speak.

However...the LYRICS to SONGS would be in a specific language.

There can be Spanish-STYLE music, India-STYLE music, Cajun-STYLE music...but the music is music...and the lyrics are in languages.

So I'd say: "Do you listen to Spanish-style music?" or "Do you listen to songs in Spanish?"

smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ June 30 2005,9:57)]endparenthesis is right LUIS. I'm the one who asked "Do you listen to Spanish music." Though he knows what I meant, him and AE won't quit arguing about it now. I, however, have somehow managed to keep myself out of an argument that was started because of something I said. a stupid argument, by the way. :p
Dude... the argument was between you and him. You two came to me for "assistance"

It's the same thing to me but luis insists it's the later

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]OK, since your post is entitled "Correct English", I must nitpick:
he he he... you forgot the "ya'll"
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]to me, "do you listen to spanish music?" means music that's culturally spanish. like the mexican hat dance or that particular style (can't remember the name)
that's MEXICAN music. NOT spanish music. spanish music is like the flamenco or hower you spell it.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's the same thing to me but luis insists it's the later
Spanish music comes ONLY from the country spain, music in spanish is music that is in the spanish language... it may come from belize, mexico, spain, venezuela, DR, chile, etc.... or you could translate any music and make it music in spanish.

say what you mean and mean what you say. I don't even know (besides the flamenco... sort of) what spanish music sounds like.

"spanish music" is not the correct way to talk about any music in spanish.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ June 30 2005,3:22)]Spanish music comes ONLY from the country spain, music in spanish is music that is in the spanish language... it may come from belize, mexico, spain, venezuela, DR, chile, etc.... or you could translate any music and make it music in spanish.
If you define "spanish" as being from spain then you're right but "spanish" refers to spanish speaking countries which include the ones you listed and others you didn't. spanish music is a generalization. If you say music that comes from spain then you're talking about music that only comes from spain. "Do you listen to spanish music" is a generalization. Just like people that speak spanish don't all come from spain, all "spanish music" doesn't come from spain.

no, it's just like meaning to say "are you hispanic?" but instead saying "are you spanish?"
you wouldn't just say it's a generalization. "spanish" in that qusetion wouldn't mean "spanish-speaking countries".
same with the music. It doesn't mean "music in spanish" it means "music from spain"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ June 30 2005,6:06)]no, it's just like meaning to say "are you hispanic?" but instead saying "are you spanish?"
you wouldn't just say it's a generalization. "spanish" in that qusetion wouldn't mean "spanish-speaking countries".
same with the music. It doesn't mean "music in spanish" it means "music from spain"
whatever, i'm done.

seedjar:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But I could understand someone calling music in Spanish "Spanish music" even if it were contemporary or some other style not exclusively associated with Spanish, so the first question could go both ways.
sarraceniascott:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"Do you listen to spanish music?" has the nuance that you're asking if they listen to music that is culturally spanish.
trapper7:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think it's "Do you listen to Spanish music?"And I agree with SarraceniaScott,it's "My friends and I..."
smile_n_32.gif
*Niki*
endparenthesis
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You and your friends need to go see a movie or something.
justlikeapill:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]to me, "do you listen to spanish music?" means music that's culturally spanish. like the mexican hat dance or that particular style (can't remember the name)

"do you listen to music in spanish?", to me, means listening to ANY and ALL music , american, japanese, etc that's been translated into spanish.

so far i agree with everyone except luis

and sarracenia. Culturally spanish means from spain.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]whatever, i'm done.
guess not.

it's just like saying "iraqi music". that doesn't mean "music in iraqui", it means music from spain. If you say that's a spanish hat, you say a hat from spain (here- http://images.google.com/images?....1&hl=en sure, there's one sombrero in there, but most websites are right. those are spanish hats. a spanish hat is not a sombrero, it's one of those). Not a hat that comes from spanish speaking countries.
japanese art, art from japan.
you can also search wikipedia for "spanish music" and it takes you to "music of spain". search for "english music" and it takes you to music from england.
No, there are no pages about music in spanish or english, but that's to be expected.

i know an easy way to end this.
Hey kyle, what did you mean by spanish music?

it doesn't matter what he meant. I know what he meant. I'm saying that he SAID "do you listen to music from spain", but I know he meant "music in spanish"
Just like people use ain't, ya'll, "I ain't got nothing". I know what they mean, but they are all wrong. Except things like ain't and others don't mean a totally different thing.
and Just like people ask me if i'm spanish when they mean if i'm hispanic, it just really annoys me.

and just like you say "would of" and "should of". And you know it's wrong too.

If I say I listen to English music, does it mean I like English bands like Fairport Convention and the Sex Pistols?  Or are Public Enemy and Pearl Jam included because they sing in English?

Back