What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok computer people... help me decide...

• Thread starter nrbelex
  • Start date
I may be looking for a new PC desktop replacement laptop. my price range is $1350 +/- $100 but obviously I would prefer to spend as little as possible. I need 802.11 (pref. a/b/g), good proccesor speed, at least 512 mb RAM, a decent video card (pref. 128 mb), a decently sized hard drive, a burner (perhaps a DVD burner as well but at least DVD reader), Micro$oft Word included(though I'll wind up using OpenOffice) and McAfee. Currently I have a Dell at $1400 with this setup but any brand will do. Thanks!!!

~ Brett

I recommend you either buy an Alienware or Voodoo computer. Try to avoid what i like to call "McDonald" brands like Dell and HP. Voodoo computer prices are a little high but Alienware Sentia notebooks start at $1,000

Yea but you pay a major premium for the awesomeness of those brands... as much as I like to look at them. Also, I rarely use my computer for serious gaming and more for decent media. If I can find a well priced Alienware (doubtfull)... that would be the first thing I would consider. Thanks

~ Brett

I just configured a Sentia notebook with these specs for $1,397

1.3 Ghz mobile M processor
wireless, 802.11a/b/g
1 gig of ram
80 gig hard drive
8x dvd burner

I don't think my PM's are working so I'm posting it here -
Can you E-mail me that configuration? I just sent you a PM but it's not in my outbox (twice now) and seems to have disappeared.

myterraforumusername
@gmail.com

I'm a little worried about the Sentia's poor rating on some sites - i.e. Cnet - http://reviews.cnet.com/Alienwa....tl-list

Thanks ~ Brett

I think Toshiba's Sattelite brand may have a model in your price range. I've heard excellent things about those; a former roomie of mine had one and boy, are they shiny. I use a Mac though, so all I really know about the PC market is that Dells are to be avoided.
~Joe

Back