What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing medias

Hi:

After 3 days of calling places and searching the internet, I simply can't get my hands on any silica sand in small quantities. It is too expensive to have a bag shipped here.

What else can I use with the sphaghum moss?

The one thing I have come up with is fine turkey grit (usually granite or quartz)--washed.

I could use playbox sand but it does fizz a bit in vinegar.

Where have you looked. Try sandblasting sand. You can get it at most hardware stores. Where do you live? If you can't find some maybe I can mail it to you.

Ozzy:

I think I will just try the perlite. I am disabled and can't lift anything over 10 pounds anyway! Can't always count on finding someone else to carry things for me. Besides that, I ride our local handicapper bus system. At least the perlite comes in small bags. I think a trip to my local Home Depot is in order. Maybe they'll even have some cps too.

Thank you for asking and responding!

I think you'll be better off with perlite anyways. I'd use sand myself but think about it... Sand in a container pot with drainage holes.. My guess would be that the sand would just leak out. I use 50/50 pete/perlite for my mixes.

I use sand and it doesn't leak out,as long as it's kept wet.~Niki~
cool.gif

Back