What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dsl cannot find dns server

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
Hi folks,
wondering if anyone can help me out with this...

I have Norton anti-virus, and just before the weekend it asked me if I wanted to block something. I didn't pay attention, thinking that Norton only blocks bad stuff, and said yes....Now my DSL cannot find the DNS server. Any ideas?

I can still get e-mails (outlook works), but I tried the "modem reset" of shutting everything off and turning it back on in sequence with no results...

Any help would be appreciated!

I think there's a way to access the list of programs that Norton has blocked. I really don't know how to access it because I've only used Norton a little bit. Just explore the program and if that doesn't work, you could contact the tech support. But if you get to the list you should be able remove certain things that it has blocked. Try turning off the firewall and that should let you surf the internet until you are able to remove the block on your DSL.

You must have norton internet security... I love my norton anti-virus but myself and everyone i know have always had problems with norton internet security. If you'd like to tell me the exact program name and year maybe i can find the instructions online and help you further.
smile.gif

Andrew

Well, it's Norton anti-virus from 2004....And the internet engine I use is microsoft internet explorer. Is that what you're after?

But don't put yourself out on my account - I was more wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head...
Thanks!

I get that from time to time and I don't know why. However, opening up another window from Explorer gives me my homepage. Clicking on the suggestion to find the server also works. A friend also mentioned to me about doing CTRL Alt Del to see what programs are running and if you can recognize something amiss, you can deal with it. Not sure if that adresses the issue or not, but I tried...

Hmmm, norton anti virus alone has not fire wall applications in it. Are you running any firewall applications? Like zone alarm or something?

Edit: oh and for fun you can always go into Internet explorer and go to tools-internet options-click the connections tab at the top-click lan settings at the bottom-and make sure ONLY "automatically detect settings" is selected.-click okay-then click okay..... exit all browsers. restart browser and check for connectivity.
Andrew

I don't like Norton...cuz it's not free. xD

Yeah Ctrl+Alt+Delete is very helpful if you know what you're doing. Have you tried just restarting the computer or the DSL modem?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ July 05 2005,4:53)]I don't like Norton...cuz it's not free. xD

Yeah Ctrl+Alt+Delete is very helpful if you know what you're doing. Have you tried just restarting the computer or the DSL modem?
Yeah, he did. In the first post he said "...but I tried the "modem reset" of shutting everything off and turning it back on in sequence with no results.."
Andrew

Oh..well he could uninstall and reinstall Norton. Though that's probably a pain to do.

Fixed it. Just created a rule to not scan the microsoft web folder. Ha. take that, Norton.

Thanks guys!

Back