What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrorist attack

not directly but:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You might as well throw a RPG on your shoulder and shoot down a U.S. helicopter.
if I "might as well" do something, that's implying that what i'm doing right now is just as bad.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]they dont care that you support them,
they dont care that you and other Americans are actively supporting them and are working hard to weaken the USA,
If you support terrorists and you are "working hard to weaken the USA" that's being a terrorist.
others said that we're terrorist sympathizers.
and we didn't say anything that could warrant those replies.
here's my first reply:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote
I cannot belive that there are still people who believe that the U.S.A.'s actions create more terrorist's.

there ARE more terrorists worldwide (and in iraq).
it does create more terrorists because it creates more hate against the US. More hate= more terrorists.
Im sure that they would have just gone away if we did nothing, everytime they killed more people.

no, but doing things like invading a country that had nothing to do with 9-11 is not what the US should have done.
Ok, maybe we can't know the number of terrorists, but there have been more terrorist attacks.
Yes more hate=more terrorism.
no we shouldn't have done nothing.
I think we can all agree with those three statements. The next thing I said just gave an example what I don't think the US should have done and why there is more hate towards the US because of it. I think we can all agree that there is more hate because of it.
and what do I get? I might as well be shooting down american helicopters, and that i'm "working hard to weaken the USA" not to mention that i'm "too far gone", that my logic is saying there should be no cops, that we shouldn't do anything, etc. Pure paranoia. I even said we SHOULDN'T do nothing. I was practically called a terrorist, my words were twisted, and words were put into my mouth.

You interpreted that as him calling you a terrorist but you calling him an idiot is a direct insult.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 08 2005,8:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ July 08 2005,7:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you cant just go around blowing up thousands of innocent people just because you want a few dead

Tell that to the terrorists.
good point, but it's flawed. does the action of the US not strike terror into that of the innocent? is that not terrorism?

if we do the same thing as they do does that make us any better or does that lower us to their level?
Since when have we inspired fear into innocent people? Usually they are happy to see us come to "help" them, then end up getting pissed off and become rebels, so our protection, backfires, there is no fear in them, just confusion and lust.

If we do the same thing they do? Since when have we flown a plane into 2 skyscrapers and held people hostages and chop their heads off?

"Very simple.  You can take one of 3 positions when it comes to radical Islamists"

Don't tell me what position I have to take.  You aren't my boss or my mother.

I take the same position when it comes to radicals of any religion, myself. The ones located and adored in this country, especially. Potential Wahabists.  The American Taliban, I call them.

Wow... You have made it all so simple...the caul has fallen from my eyes.  Dang, Jason...you should send your screed to all the world leaders and let them decide..#1, #2, or #3, so we'll all know if they're "for us or against us."  The word you're searching for is "eradicate", BTW.  

So, I guess you're okay with us killing innocent Iraqi and Afghani men, women and children, Jason. Super! Good on you!  

If our leaders had truly wanted to take the fight to Al Qaeda...then the places to do it are Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia.  We went to Afghanistan, and we should have, and I'm glad we did. We should have gone there eons before 9/11, purely for human rights issues, but I digress.  Jason, I'll bet you didn't give one flying dang about the rights of women in Afghanistan before Bush told you we should. We kicked the Taliban's behinds right out of there, and I was glad. Then we diverted troops to Iraq..and now the Taliban is making a come-back in Afghanistan.  

We should be blowing Saudi Arabia to kingdom come right about now.  How come we aren't?  Is it because the Bush family are real good friends with the Saudi Royal Family? The Bush family have close ties to the Sauds going back decades. In Saudi Arabia, who are allegedly our allies, a woman is not allowed to vote or drive or leave the house without being accompanied by a male relative. At least they're allowed to work, but they must wear a chador if they're going out in public. In Saudi Arabia, they have state sponsored Islamist schools called madrassas(sp), where hatred of the good ol' US of A is part of the curriculum. Do you feel proud to call them our friends?

15 of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were Saudis, after all.  No Iraqis hijacked those planes, Iraq wasn't involved in the planning of 9/11(so sayeth your heroes, Cheney and Bush, Jason), no Iraqis were involved in the first WTC bombing, no Iraqis were involved in the bombing of the USS Cole, no Iraqis were involved in the bombings of the African Embassies, either...sorry!  The instigators were mostly from our good friends Saudi Arabia and Syria.

So what did we do?..why logically...we invaded Iraq! A country that didn't export terrorism, a country that posed absolutely no threat to us.  A country that, co-incidentally...sits on top of lots of oil.  A country that could make a lot of heavily connected(via the VP) American corporations even more wealthy....Hmmmmmm.  

A country that didn't have the WMD that Bush claimed they did!

You want to stop terrorism in it's tracks?  We need to get our military bases off the Saudi Peninsula(and that's their main beef, from what I understand), stop propping up the house of Saud, and stop blindly supporting Israel in everything it does. Why, we might even have to require that an SUV or minivan get 30 MPG to accomplish this, so we can be less dependant on foreign oil. Heaven Forfend! Then we wouldn't have to kiss Saudi behinds! We can't NOT be kissing Saudi behind, can we? We can't be asking GM or Ford to be making these "huge" sacrifices, can we? I'd be willing to bet that the US auto industry is real cozy with the oil cartels.  I also bet if we did these few things...terrorism would be a thing of the past.  

And Alpha is dang right to be rolling his eyes.

Say what????
"I think we can all agree with those three statements. The next thing I said just gave an example what I don't think the US should have done and why there is more hate towards the US because of it. I think we can all agree that there is more hate because of it." Goodness gracious, please don't assume.

Oh look at this pretty plant-
Old growth, new growth, and a little spider!  A little something for everyone-
f6f51ca3.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ July 09 2005,2:14)]So what did we do?..why logically...we invaded Iraq! A country that didn't export terrorism, a country that posed absolutely no threat to us.  A country that, co-incidentally...sits on top of lots of oil.  A country that could make a lot of heavily connected(via the VP) American corporations even more wealthy....Hmmmmmm.  

A country that didn't have the WMD that Bush claimed they did!
Iraq was a threat, at the time no one knew f they had weapons of mass destruction or not, but they were a suspect because there was evidence they did have those weapons.
By invading Iraq, a threat was eliminated.
Also, Saddam Hussain had ties to terrorist groups such as Al Qaeda.

And funny that you speak of human rights........people in Iraq had no human rights before the invasion.
Saddam Hussain enslaved his people and many lived in poverty, if they spoke out against him they would be murdered by his secret police.

And thats why I support the Iraq invasion. The people there are no free, they dont have ot live in poverty and in terror of Saddam Hussain.

However, the true motive of the American invasion of Iraq is for the oil.......Britain oinvaded to get rid of the threat and to liberate the people, the US invaded to get oil and riches.
How do I know? The first thing Bush did when Iraq was taken was to seize all the oil refineries in Iraq.

Starman please do not assume!

Britian went to war with Iraq to get rid of a Dictator, but the US did it just for the oil? Please

Britian invaded Iraq because the U.S. called and asked for help.

The U.S. seized all oil refineres and fields once safe to make sure that they were not blown up by the Iraqs. I was one of the men guarding them.

If we wanted the oil we would have it, and wouldnt be paying record prices.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh pretty plant.............................dang it Laura quit with the distractions
smile_n_32.gif

I'm glad I don't visit this site as much anymore.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ July 13 2005,1:22)]Say what?
confused.gif

"I think we can all agree with those three statements. The next thing I said just gave an example what I don't think the US should have done and why there is more hate towards the US because of it. I think we can all agree that there is more hate because of it." Goodness gracious, please don't assume.

Oh look at this pretty plant-
Old growth, new growth, and a little spider! A little something for everyone-
f6f51ca3.jpg
<Babble mode on>
Not a spider Laura...only one body segment. That would be a "daddy long leg", harvestmen, or opilionid.
smile.gif

A pretty plant...thats for sure!
</Babble mode off>

And now back to the scheduled program? LOL

Shame on you nyflytrap... did you have to go and blow the whistle on me!  Here I thought I was so clever slipping the word spider in there for my buddy April.

They fall under the classification of Arachnida but they are of the Order Opiliones.  

ROFL thats got to be one of the funniest sequence shots I've seen yet.

Yeah, it's tough when people start discussing things that actually matter, shokuchuu.

If you want bland, innofensive banter about things, I highly recommend Dave's Garden.  However, this forum at the outset states that it is for various subjects of discussion.

"Iraq was a threat, at the time no one knew if they had weapons of mass destruction or not, but they were a suspect because there was evidence they did have those weapons. By invading Iraq, a threat was eliminated. Also, Saddam Hussain had ties to terrorist groups such as Al Qaeda."

You know as well as I do that we were lied to to get us into this war.  Nice try, though. More than a few people knew for sure that they no longer had wmd. There was no evidence save for manufactured evidence that was manufactured to get the public to support the war. Don't forget, there were weapons inspectors on the ground for MONTHS who said Saddam didn't have any weapons.  George W. Bush and **** Cheney both said Saddam had no connection to Al Qaeda or 9/11. You don't believe your heroes? So are you saying they were lying to us?  Or were they lying about WMD? What exactly were they lying about again?  There have been so many lies, I have lost track.

In fact...and famously...Saddam and Osama could not stand each other.  Iraq was absolutely not an Islamist state.  It was secular, which is why Osama could not abide Saddam.  Stating such is not giving any credit to Saddam. He did what he needed to do, so he could keep an iron grip on the populace. Like any good dictator would!  

The reason we're paying record gas prices is the Saudis/the mid-east oil cartel. Our "friends."  The reason we're paying record gas prices is that this administration had no plan to win the peace, and the oil pipe-lines in Iraq are being blown up DAILY.  The best laid plans of mice and men....Hence...no oil from Iraq.  AND, and this is a big AND...our refineries can't keep up, or so they claim..actually, there is more than enough oil in the pipe-line to keep prices reasonable. They just can't process it fast enough, or so they say.  There hasn't been a new oil refinery built in the US since the 1970's

Hmmmmm...wonder why?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ July 14 2005,12:39)]Yeah, it's tough when people start discussing things that actually matter, shokuchuu.

If you want bland, innofensive banter about things, I highly recommend Dave's Garden.  However, this forum at the outset states that it is for various subjects of discussion.

"Iraq was a threat, at the time no one knew if they had weapons of mass destruction or not, but they were a suspect because there was evidence they did have those weapons. By invading Iraq, a threat was eliminated. Also, Saddam Hussain had ties to terrorist groups such as Al Qaeda."

You know as well as I do that we were lied to to get us into this war.  Nice try, though. More than a few people knew for sure that they no longer had wmd. There was no evidence save for manufactured evidence that was manufactured to get the public to support the war. Don't forget, there were weapons inspectors on the ground for MONTHS who said Saddam didn't have any weapons.  George W. Bush and **** Cheney both said Saddam had no connection to Al Qaeda or 9/11. You don't believe your heroes? So are you saying they were lying to us?  Or were they lying about WMD? What exactly were they lying about again?  There have been so many lies, I have lost track.

In fact...and famously...Saddam and Osama could not stand each other.  Iraq was absolutely not an Islamist state.  It was secular, which is why Osama could not abide Saddam.  Stating such is not giving any credit to Saddam. He did what he needed to do, so he could keep an iron grip on the populace. Like any good dictator would!  

The reason we're paying record gas prices is the Saudis/the mid-east oil cartel. Our "friends."  The reason we're paying record gas prices is that this administration had no plan to win the peace, and the oil pipe-lines in Iraq are being blown up DAILY.  The best laid plans of mice and men....Hence...no oil from Iraq.  AND, and this is a big AND...our refineries can't keep up, or so they claim..actually, there is more than enough oil in the pipe-line to keep prices reasonable. They just can't process it fast enough, or so they say.  There hasn't been a new oil refinery built in the US since the 1970's

Hmmmmm...wonder why?
Well no one will have to worry about Iraq ever again now, and if the USA had a reasont o invade it must have been a threat.
And so what if WMD destruction wernt found? No one will have ot worry about Iraq again now
And youre calling Saddam Hussain a good ruler for ruling with fear? What is wrong with you? Maybe youd like to live in a country where the leaders rule with an iron fist and absolute fear and monarchy?

And what about all the people that suffered in Iraq? They lived in conditions that wernt suitable for dogs, never mind humans. No one cares about them do they? NO ONE CARES that over 5 million people lived in terrible conditions. Its all WMD WMD WMD, no one cares about the human rights side of it

Oh yeah, and hwo do you think these terrorists who cut peoples heads of on TV and send suicide bombers to murder other Iraqis are connected to?Yup, its Saddam Hussain
Thats the exact reason the UK and US are still in Iraq, to prevent these Saddam Hussain terrorists taking over Iraq

Perhaps we should focus on the positive-

* 47 countries re-established their embassies in Iraq.
* Iraqi current government employs 1.2 million Iraqi people.
* 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq.
* Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20 Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers, all currently operating.
* 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2005 for the re-established Fulbright program?
* The Iraqi Navy is operational. They have five 100-foot patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a navel infantry regiment.
* Iraq's Air Force consists of three operational squadrons, which includes 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft (under Iraqi operational control) which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 bell jet rangers.
* Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando Battalion.
* Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers.
* There are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks.
* There are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq.  They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.
* 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations.
* 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October of last year.
* There are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%.
* Iraq has an independent media that consists of 75 radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations.
* The Baghdad Stock Exchange opened last summer.
* 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a televised debate recently.

Now back to babble mode-

Anyone remember the gas prices back in 1981? Anyone remember only being able to purchase gas on alternate days based on what letter/number one's license plate started with? We are not as high as what we were paying back then which would have been about $3.15 a gallon if one adjusts for inflation. Let's try to focus on the positive, there's no embargo.

Hey April, for you because you like red-  
acc956af.jpg

You all can discuss this topic as much as you want but I want to remind you that no one should be calling anybody anything. You don't have to agree with everybody but leave personal attacks and slurs out of it. Nobody here is a terrorist, an idiot or anything else for having differing viewpoints.

If you can't keep this discussion to opinions without getting personal and condescending, this will be closed.

Being ugly to somebody only lessens the strength of your argument. There is an art to debate and name-calling is not part of it!

If I had a nickel for every time I've said this, I'd be rich! I do not understand WHY some of you can't understand this very simple concept. There is no reason to come out with your fists up and swinging.
confused.gif
GEEZ! Its "point" and "counterpoint" and that's it!

on a happier note, Laura, what hybrid is that? it's fantastic!

i'll trade you an arm for it
smile.gif

April beat you to a division of that JLAP.  That's S. courtii. I also have a "Brunswick Beauty" that displays similar awesome color.

Back