What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrorist attack

Join the military and find out what the term "Rules of engagement" means before you go blaming the U.S. for "Blowing up thousands of innocent people" The U.S. Military takes upmost care to not kill civilians when conducting operations. Do civilians get killed? Of course they do, and it's a tradgedy. The difference is, we try to limit the amount of collateral damage and the terrorists try to kill as many civilians as possible, in fact their prime objective is the loss of civilian life.

The reason is, they hate us and our way of life, so by that way of thinking we can limit the attacks by making them like us. Yeah, I see that happening in the near future.

ah you have to remember these terrorists arent out to destroy only american lives and those of our allies. the suicide bombings in Iraq are killing 10 times more civillians(read:children, women and men of their own RELIGION AND COUNTRY) than american soldiers. there entire method is wrong, if they were just attacking military targets it would be different which is why i belive there is a huge difference between Peral Harbor and 9/11, Peral Harbor was a 100% military target, New York City was a 100% civilian target. what on this earth makes you think you can reason with ppl who have no interest in doing any thing but the most nice guyized form of guerilla "warfare" and its not even warfare, they are hitting entirly civilan targets most of the time

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think the 'women' you mention (I didn't know this was the 19th century)

Since when is the term 'women' 19th century?

Calling a bunch of people who you disagree with 'women' in a derogatory way strikes me as old fashioned
smile_n_32.gif
I'm not criticising you, it just made me smile.

No I actually mean the women who are coming out against the war on terror. If they lived in that part of the world, they as women would not be entitled to even voice an oppinion, they would be covered from head to toe and have less rights than a slave in the American South prior to the Civil War.

First of all, the notion that any of us are terrorist sympathizers is just laughable, and every word that followed in that post was therefore suspect. In fact, it betrays the bankruptcy of an arguement to have to invent the qualities of opposition you intend to debate. I believe "straw man" is the proper term for the fallacy.

It would be nice to say that 100% of the people here condemn terrorism, and the taking of innocent lives. Except that the US has killed thousands of innocent children, women and men in Iraq in order to prosecute our war against that country. Not only do they not want us there, and I mean virtually unanimously, not just "terrorists", but they posed no threat of any kind to the US. They were NOT training terrorists, as commonly alleged, and had absolutely NO connection to the attacks on 9/11. This is the conclusion of the Republican-controlled Congressional report, not some liberal invention. Read it if you don't believe it.

It is similarly beyond debate that the war on Iraq was not supported by the greater international community. Not only were the justifications for the war (changeable as they apparently are) proven to be deliberate lies (Downing Street Memo, anyone?), but even if true don't justify an invasion. For example, there are many countries with unelected leaders with whom we have extensive relationships. We are not threatening to attack any of them, becarse that's just absurd. So now we're reviled not just by Muslim extremists, but by everyday Muslims, and by, frankly, Europeans among others.

Such is the unpopularity of our aggressions in Iraq that an enormous insurgency has developed that never would have otherwise existed. They are honing their techniques in daily clashes with "Iraqi" security and US troops, especially in the area of IEDs, or Improvised Explosive Devices. Guess what was used in London?

Finally, it really serves nobody to demonize and dehumanize your opposition. From a military standpoint, it's just dumb because it's a distortion of how they actually think, and the lack of understanding of your enemy makes it harder to predict their actions, and harder to win the hearts and minds of those "on the fence." Our arrogant beligerance has tipped a lot of those fence-sitters into full-bore America-haters. Honestly, how much reason have we given them not to hate us? Fewer than 20 people, unorganized and secretive, took part in the 9/11 attacks. Yet we effectively declared war on a Muslim country that had nothing to do with it as a result. Given their paranoia that we are a threat to the region and their way of life, how smart does that seem? How is the average non-terrorist middle-easterner supposed to view that, much less the average Iraqi?

The world stood behind us as we struck back at the Taliban and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. We've taken that support, and arrogantly thrown it away, derisively referring to our longest and best allies as "old Europe" and alienated many of those who previously stood behind us. What used to be a pretty easy good guy/bad guy scenario has become blurred. And it angers a lot of us to have our President lying through his teeth, arrogantly casting our allies aside, and leading us into a hornet's nest with no real plan, no laudable goals, and no justification for the thousands of deaths that result.

And now Iraq is a quagmire just like Vietnam became, and the "terrorists" have a new training ground to learn how to effectively fight US troops and explode busses.

None of this had to be. We could have just kept fighting against those who engage in international terrorism. The President didn't have to lie and get us into an irrelevant quagmire in Iraq (which while following the "rules of engagement", still kills thousands of innocents who are just as dead as anyone.) We could have a real world-wide coalition fighting terrorism in all corners of the world. We could be winning the hearts and minds of peaceful Muslims around the world.

But we chose a different path. One of division, demonization, aggression, invasion, imperialism, oil-mongering, and deception. Pointing that out, and being angry about it, doesn't make us sympathisers. It just means we're all about solving this problem, not simply indulging in self-righteous bloodlust, ranting about "killing them all."

Capslock
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ July 07 2005,4:20)] Let us not forget that revenge is the most potent fuel on earth.  
I'll take a fillup of revenge for 10cents a gallon please.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you cant just go around blowing up thousands of innocent people just because you want a few dead

Tell that to the terrorists.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ July 08 2005,7:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ July 07 2005,4:20)] Let us not forget that revenge is the most potent fuel on earth.  
I'll take a fillup of revenge for 10cents a gallon please.
smile.gif
Make mine premium revenge at 12 cents a gallon--I love to overpay for more refined revenge.
smile_n_32.gif

Well western civilizations could make there own terror network. (And I don't mean a show featuring Martha Stewart). I think then we could have a totally miserable time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ok, A.W., you just go ahead and keep on talking yourself into that..
I have already learned that it is pointless to argue with you, you are too far gone..
the best logic and thoughtfull response we can get from you is "roll eyes"..
ok then. I guess you showed me!
ok, scotty, you just go ahead and keep on talking yourself into that..
I have already learned that it is pointless to argue with you, you are too far gone..
the best logic and thoughtfull response we can get from you is that I'm a terrorist..

I don't think I should answer such comments as saying I should just shoot down US helicopters and saying that I support terrorists. And frankly they are idiotic. If they were coming from anyone else I might be offended, and say something more productive, but I don't see why I should defend myself to you. Not if you make statements like that.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]no one wa s talking about Iraq either, until it was brought into this conversation..which had nothing to do with Iraq..
someone said that the actions of the US caused terrorism, so I agreed and gave an example. It was totally relevant. Nobody was talking about democrats VS. republicans, liberals VS conservatives, etc.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]for no reason except to bash Bush, which you and your kind MUST always do at every possible opportunity, if its relevant or not..
LOL! you're the one who brought it up, not me. US actions doesn't just involve what bush has done, but I brought up a recent example. Bush isn't the center of the universe you know.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1) destroy the problem utterly - downside is the rest of the world might not like us very much.
exactly. You can't destroy the problem utterly. Terrorism is not a person or a country that you can just go and blast into the stone age.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]my dad's collegue (spelling?) is from India and once he told my dad that everyone in India thinks that Americans are horrible people because we live like Gods and we have everything yet we waste it all and don't appreciate it
yeah. much of the rest of the world shares that view. (or so I hear. I can at least tell you from personal experience that a lot of people in Mexico share that view)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The terrorist have to worry about being killed now, that has to give them less time to plan terrorist acts.
again, "the terrorist" is not one person. it's not in one place. THEY'RE not all in iraq and afghanistan, they're everywhere. As you can see with the london attacks, a whole kind of people throughout the world is not worried enough by it.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But if you are able to look at a situation without trying to make the president look bad every possible situation it may look differently.
But if you are able to look at a situation without trying to make the president look good every possible situation it may look differently.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] These animals hate you and everything you stand for.
When you're obssesed with the enemy, you become the enemy.You start thinking like a terrorist.
It's that kind of thinking that leads to all the horrible traits of HUMANITY.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hunt them to the ends of the earth and exterminate every last one of them.  Then and only then will you be safe from what amounts to nothing but scum
Which translates to never.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]tell me the Iraq war has anything whatsoever to do with it.
Sorry but why is everyone so narrowminded? US actions does NOT equal iraq.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As far a democracy in Iraq, I don't think it's worth the life of 1 young American man or woman.
I totally disagree with that, but I guess that would be going off in a tangent.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When people are brainwashed by propaganda from birth and taught to hate and are more than willing to take their lives to end yours for "a greater purpose" then there is no reasoning and you really can't stop it.
ah... but what "people" are you talking about?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]with no more than you can reason with a Grizzly bear as it systematically removes your limbs from your torso.
right. like grizzlies do that. (can't help it... lol)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i guess i'm number two. i do not sumpathize with them however, not in the least. i do not feel sympathy for them.
yeah. Nothing is absolute.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ July 08 2005,7:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you cant just go around blowing up thousands of innocent people just because you want a few dead

Tell that to the terrorists.
good point, but it's flawed. does the action of the US not strike terror into that of the innocent? is that not terrorism?

if we do the same thing as they do does that make us any better or does that lower us to their level?

liberals VS. democrats?

Ahh AW you obviously just enjoy arguing for the pure pleasure of it. I hope you never get stuck in a room by yourself with nothing but a mirror, you would probably end up arguing with yourself.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

LMAO

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ahh AW you obviously just enjoy arguing for the pure pleasure of it. I hope you never get stuck in a room by yourself with nothing but a mirror, you would probably end up arguing with yourself
I don't just randomly pick a side if that's what you mean. I do like a good debate, but not like this when idiots are calling you a terrorist because you tell the facts.

dont call him an idiot if you don't want to be called a terrorist.

play nice

you mean the other way around.
I didn't say anything provocative and I was called a terrorist anyway.
I think I'm entitled to be a little *ed off don't you think?
not offended... just *ed off.

when were you called a terrorist? and who is an idiot?

Maybe a cool down is in order?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ July 08 2005,7:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ok, A.W., you just go ahead and keep on talking yourself into that..
the best logic and thoughtfull response we can get from you is "roll eyes"..

ok, scotty, you just go ahead and keep on talking yourself into that..
the best logic and thoughtfull response we can get from you is that I'm a terrorist..
you called yourself a terrorist.

Back