What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrorist attack

Scot said, "like I said..lies and fear.
its the only tactic Democrats have left to attempt to retain their power..
this is a perfect example of that."

ummm.....

Exactly what power is it that Democrats are attempting to retain?  Some city councils and state legislatures?  In case talk radio hasn't mentioned it, Republicans pretty much control everything else.  And the liars who exaggerated the threat of Iraq and have the blood of so many Iraqis and Americans on their hands were mostly Republicans.

Fact is voter intimidation and disenfrachisement do happen and almost always favor the party in power.  Right now, that's Republicans.

As for the terrorists, Bin Laden and his fellow Muslim sociopaths are gun toting, religious conservatives.  Timothy McVeigh was blonder but quite a conservative too.  I never actually asked either of them, but suspect neither ever was a big advocate of gay marriage, medical procedure rights, or environmental regulation.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. --Euripides

No more democrat or republican B.S. back and forth please, or I will lock the thread. Neither party is worth a crap, so be done with it. Talk only your opinion, not what some stupid party thinks. The best talk comes from individuals, not parties.

smile.gif

"Neither party is worth a crap, so be done with it."

That's your opinion, Bugweed, and I absolutely do NOT agree with it.  I talk what I THINK.  My signature is not a joke. If you want to think people who belong to political parties are mere sheep..that's your right. I know in my case that that is not the case.  I am positive that that is not the case with some on the other side, too.  I respect your opinion, but I have a problem with censorship.

"The best talk comes from individuals, not parties."

Wrong-o, IMO. Timothy McVeigh was an individual.  He talked louder than words. Osama doesn't belong to a political party, either.  

Yay to Herenorthere!

I really resent the idea of a mod locking a thread because he/she has a problem with political parties.  You guys are supposed to be above all that, IMO.

Finch, of course it really happened. When I lived in Chicago, there were thugs for Mayor Daley outside and inside the polling place, challenging people's votes. I've seen it. How many people were turned away from Bush's "Social Security Town Hall" meetings because they had Kerry or Anti-Bush stickers on the bumpers of their cars. This happened, it's a fact. Bush doesn't want any questions from anyone who might disagree with him. He might have to depart from the script, and from what I've heard, extemporaneous speech is not his strong point.

April, depend on you to read into something written that is not there. Enough rhetoric. From either side. Most folks understand what I mean, and I will not split hairs with you. Whether you like it or not, if politics cannot be spoken in this thread without name calling, and antagonistic garbage, I WILL LOCK THIS THREAD, and not care about anyones opinion about why it was done. Especially your opinion, April. I won't take anything from you, regardless of what you may think of me. Rock on, AND BE Civil!

Just remove this topic altogether, its waaaay of the topic...whens the last thing I read something on a Terrorist attack in London?

Then lock it if you wish, NG. It has gone way off topic.

There are some people here who would never have survived on a debate team. Speaking with passion is good but passion is NOT sarcasm, condescension and attitude.

Telling someone they are "wrong" isn't made any nicer by sticking "IMO" after it. Its still telling someone they are wrong simply because they have a different viewpoint.

It IS possible to state an opinion or viewpoint without being inflammatory.

I've seen Capslocks participate in hundreds of touchy topics and not once have I ever seen him come across as belligerent, condescending or criticising. He simply states his views (whether in agreement or disagreement) without rancor or personal jabs. He is eloquent and to the point.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I really resent the idea of a mod locking a thread because he/she has a problem with political parties. You guys are supposed to be above all that, IMO.

If this thread gets locked, it will NOT be from "party politics". It will be because some people can't discuss political topics without getting inflammatory and accusatory.

If you drop the attitudes, the accusations, the hostility and all the negative stuff and just discuss this with some civility, you can discuss it until you wear the subject out.

Its up to you all if this stays open or not.

If everyone could state their opinions in the manner of Capslock, we'd have no need for any warnings at all.

I am actually finding this thread to be quite enlightening to one degree or another however I'd still be most curious to know what this meant-
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]D. S.

ill back yah up PAK on Capslock. he and i had a discussion in a thread i started last week i think. it was kept quite civil by both sides without any effort on our part. it was an interesting debate and we had no problem skirting name calling and any of that. as far as this topic, i quit activly following it long ago.

i think ppl here are taking things way to personally. i dont care for either party(though Bruce occationally accuses me of other wise
smile_m_32.gif
) both parties are about worthless, both are interested in power. there are a few individuals in both parties that honestly believe that a political appointment by the ppl is an honor and they should do their best to do the will of the ppl. unfortunatly these ppl are getting extreamly rare. the government in this country is starting to come crashing down. big brother is getting to big and its been really worrying some citezins and a few more are starting to open their eyes. the Patriot Act, the recent emminant domain ruling, the governor of Kalifornia banning a rifle cartidge that has NEVER been used in a violent crime in the USA. all this idiocity is making ppl open their eyes. unfortunatly it may be to lil to late.......................

A civil discussion ? What a novel idea! Passion is good up to a point, although sometimes very entertaining. Freedom is the ability to express your ideas without fear of getting shot for being disgruntled. We seem to elect people to be idiots for us, that way we can all keep our hands clean and complain about the other guy.:D Good grief..... In this day and age you can't afford to take a political side because too many people have crazy sterotypes already in their head...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No more democrat or republican B.S. back and forth please, or I will lock the thread. Neither party is worth a crap, so be done with it. Talk only your opinion, not what some stupid party thinks. The best talk comes from individuals, not parties.

I totaly agree bugweed. i dont follow things like i used to because i just found it was useless. Party power, like ratteler said.

I think "sarcasm, condescension and attitude" are natural when people disagree about something they care deeply about.

This isn't some sterile high school debate between wannabes being watched by their parents and English teacher.  There's no harm in someone writing something condescending about my point of view and me being sarcastic right back at him/her.  As long as we're mature, go easy on the criticism and don't let it spiral into a flamefest.  Let the opinionated ones have at it and everyone else who cares to look can either be bored or entertained.

If this should be locked because it consumes too much TF space, so be it.  But, if it stays civil, I don't think the occasional mention of Democrat or Republican is a reaon for closing it.

I do not like it when a parties name, whether I like them or not, is thrown into someone's face like a slap or an insult. THAT is disrespectful, and I will not stand for it from me, or anyone else. Now have at it, and be nice, and respectful, and I will just read it as it unfolds. Otherwise, you know what I will do. It shouldn't be necessary, so please don't make it that way. Thank you.

Not too many here were being inflammatory. In my opinion, and that is my opinion. Most people here generally think out their positions on issues really well, i.e., I don't see much knee-jerking here.

I resent being called a sheep because I may or may not belong to a political party. I'm a liberal, and arrived at this position by much thought and research. BUT...I am to the right of Pat Buchanan on some things. Who is going to serve my personal interests best? That's the question.

Liberals are not always democrats, and republicans are not always conservatives. There are many shades of gray out there. For instance, I know a few people (from Terraforums)that are politically conservative AND hard core environmentalist. If you would believe the hype, this position would be impossible to hold within yourself.

I'm having a barbie tomorrow..you're all invited, of course.

The Blind Men and the Elephant

It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined
Who went to see the elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind.

The First approached the elephant,
And, happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me! but the elephant
Is nothing but a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried: "Ho! What have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp!
To me 'tis mighty clear
This wonder of an elephant
Is very like a spear!"

The Third approached the animal,
And, happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
"I see," quoth he, "the elephant
Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out his eager hand,
And felt about the knee:
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," quoth he;
"'Tis clear enough the elephant
Is very like a tree."

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can,
This marvel of an elephant
Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
"I see," quoth he, "the elephant
Is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

So, oft in theologic wars
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an elephant
Not one of them has seen!

John Godfrey Saxe

my major problem with the party system is that major elections are becoming all the same. you arent electing the best person for the job. your electing the lesser of two evils. in the last election i was not really pro Bush, i was just EXTREAMLY anti Kerry. because of our strong two party system we are tearing this country apart and some ppl who would actually do good by this country are not getting a chance to rise to power so to speak cause you have to play party politics to get anywhere. that and the fact most sane ppl do not want their life placed under the microscope. which is what happens during elections.

We might have had more choice if the corporate media hadn't gone after Dean before people even had a chance to vote in primaries.  The Center for Media and Public Affairs tracked major network news broadcasts before the Iowa caucuses and found only 2% of the media coverage of Kerry and John Edwards wasn't positive, while 42% of the Dean coverage wasn't.  Now the big media is talking up Hillary Clinton for 2008, even getting Newt Gingrich to chime in with praise.

Back