What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got jipped!

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Ok,i got this dog walking job right.But I also do grooming,which includes:Brushing out the dog first,then bathing,then cleaning the ears and teeth,and clipping the nails,then drying(sometimes fluff drying which is not easy and takes a LONG time)and then brushing out the dog again.I also walk dogs and clean up after then and clean the entire premises.Ok now,my problem is that I only get minimum wage,which here in Canada is $8.00.Ok,now I got my friend a job at this place that I work at,and all she has to do is walk dogs for 4 hours.Guess how much she gets!$9.50!!!What the hell!?!?! I am really hurt/frustrated/angry and so on!I don't see how one earth my friend can earn so much more than me when I do a heck of a lot more than her.Of course I am not mad at her,infact good for her,but I am hurt by my boss.I told one of my co-workers today this and she said that if she was me,she would be calling our boss right now and asking what is going on.I work my butt off for that place.I don't know how much everybody else makes,but I would really like to know.Is there a nice way of asking someone that you work with,how much they earn?The problem is,that I'm on disability.So i get a check from the government each month.Now the government said that I can earn up to another $400 before they start deducting from the check they pay me each month.So I don't want to ask for a raise(well I do,but I can't)cause I am already over the $400 limit,but my boss doesn't know this,so it's not like she knew and didn't want to pay me more cause she knew I would go over.So anyways,do I have the right to be upset here?Am I being too sensative?I'm really hurt,and I've talked to some other people and they've all said that that would peeve them off too,but I just wanted your guys' oppinion.Thanks
smile.gif
~Niki~

yeah that's totally wrong. i'd demand equal pay (even though you deserve more because you do more)

"Jipped" means you got ripped off. I hope everything works out.

This is exactly why employees are told that wages and salaries are confidential information. Tread carefully, Niki.

Do you get evaluations?
Make a list of all the assets you have for your boss, and try to sell your points as being a more qualified person and deserving more money.
I have done this during my evaluations and manage to get a little more then they were originally planning.

I can see your frustrations, but you have to remember one thing, When you were hired you made an agreement with your boss on how much they would pay you. Most employers don't pay you what you're worth to them, they pay you by how much you agreed to work for. It's a negotionation, just like buying a car. At least it is in my line of work.

There is usually more negotiating done with salary than there is with wage.

What's to harm by asking for what she's getting? I've asked for raises many times, starting in a restaurant where something happened exactly like this. Instead of getting angry, I calmly asked that I be paid like the person they just hired. I mentioned that it was pretty important to me. And they gave it to me. I was so nervous going in, but once I did it, I felt great!

Just ask. Don't be bitter, or angry. Just ask.

Capslock

Well I get paid by the hour.

I get paid by the hour too Oz.Jim~My friend is the one getting this much right,and we're bestfriends so of course she's gonna tell me how much she's getting,but you just brought up a very good point.If I do this,I could get my friend in trouble!I certainly don't want that.Also,what's the difference between salary and wage?I'm still on probation until August 16th,so I don't think I could ask for a raise anyways before that time is up.You're right Ozzy,I did make an agreement when I got hired to get $8/hour,but it still sucks,lol.I guess my friend was a better nagotiator.I'm not very good at asking for stuff,especially from my boss.I am very shy in situations like that.I think I'm just gonna leave it.My boss is really nice,and I really like her,I just felt weird that this happened.Anyways,thanks guys
smile.gif
Feel free to keep commenting
smile.gif
~Niki~

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just ask. Don't be bitter, or angry. Just ask.

That seems to be the best way to go. Talk to your boss, don't fly off the handle straight away or anything. Mixups happen pretty easily, and I find it doubtable that your boss would try to flat out screw you our of your money since you do a variety of functions at the workplace. Talk to your boss calmly and nicely- your goal is to figure out what went wrong, not reprimand your boss. I'm sure you already knew that, but sometimes it's good to reiterate. Good luck.

generally people get paid 2 different ways,
hourly or salary.

hourly means you get paid a certain amount per hour.
if you work 40 hours one week, but only 32 the next week, 10 the next week, you only get paid for the amount of hours you worked..

the more "professional" levels get paid a salary.
your basic doctors, lawyers, CEO's etc.
they get paid a set weekly amount, and its the same regardless of the hours they work..but generally they work MORE than 40 hours a week..

for example, I work at Kodak.
im a research technician, I get paid hourly.
if I work over 40 hours a week, I get paid time and a half "overtime"..
but generally I never get overtime.

The engineers, scientists, and all the managers at Kodak are salaried..
they get paid the same every week regardless of the hours worked.
BUT..they have to work a minimum of 50 hours a week!
50 hours is their minimum! every week...
and they dont get any extra if they work 60, 70, 80 hours a week..
they make the big bucks, but they work more hours for it..

Scot

Scot,you sayin' I'm not a professional?
smile_m_32.gif
Thanks for explaining that to me.I'm happy getting paid hourly.~Niki~
biggrin.gif

Hey, if your friend told you she's making more than you, you haven't broken any 'unofficial' confidentiality. You deserve at least equal pay (you have been working longer), you have a case IMHO. You HAVE to talk to your boss--confront her (or him)! In my experience, this things usually go over well (most of the time, the boss actually gets a little worried
smile_n_32.gif
)

Its true that asking for a raise because someone else is making more is a ticklish issue because employees are not supposed to discuss their salaries. That doesn't mean people don't do it...but that's exactly the reason most don't do it. When people tell their salaries, someone ends up getting PO'ed. Its kinda like opening Pandora's box. I never tell anyone what I make.

Capslock is right...it doesn't hurt to ask. I wouldn't mention knowing the other person's salary as that doen't look to good on you since that's a professional "no-no". Just tell your boss all the work you do (every last little thing) and how hard you work, how reliable you are...and then you've done the best you can do. The rest is up to your employer.

Good luck!

I'll agree though it doesn't sound fair. BTW...its "gypped" (the origin comes from "gypsies" who are known for stealing...ripping people off).

Is this the same job that you showed up late for on the first day? I dont know what your record is like with this place but you need to take an honest look at your work history and evaluate your performance before you go in and ask for more money. You could be the greatest dog walker/groomer in the world, but if you show up late or miss a lot of days an employer is not likely to be to generous with the greenbacks. BTW being late means ANY time after the time you are set to be there.. if you are supposed to start at 10 am and you show up at 10:02 you are late.. may not seem like much but in the eyes of an employer its a very big deal.

Good luck
Steve

PAK~I've wanted a raise even before I got my friend this job.Steve~Yes this is the same job,but I have not been late ever since.I actually show up to work 20 minutes early each shift,just so I know what is going on,and so I can say hi to the dogs.I have bailed my boss out many times before by going in on my days off cause something happened.That was a one time thing,me being late,and I know I was wrong by lying but I really don't want to get into that again.Besides,this is not the same boss.I got a new boss 3 weeks after I started.I work my butt off there,like I mentioned in my post,and I wouldn't have said that if I was going in late for my shifts.Sorry,I think you just touched a touchy subject for me here,and that is why I am sounding so defensive.I know you didn't mean anything by it,but I thought that was in the past and I kind of don't want to talk about it cause I feel really bad about it.I've never done anything like that before,and I am very ashamed of it,but I panicked.~Niki~

Back