What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pest killing recipes

Hey guys, I was just thinking why don't we list our recipes for killing aphids and other bugs that attack our plants here. I'll go first.

1part coffee-1 tablespoon(I've read the caffeine will kill aphids and other pests)
1part dishwashing handsoap-1 tablespoon like ajax or palmolive(I've read the soap makes the pests sick and breaks down being non-toxic in the soil)
1 part mouthwash- a full shot(I've read that mint is a disinfectant for plants and diseases that they may have. It also has alcohol which is supposed to dry up aphids)

I put all of these ingredients into a small spraybottle and fill it up with water then shake it well. So here is my aphid and disease killing recipe. This stuff also kills ants on contact. I have used it for about 2 weeks with no harmful effects to my plants. In fact all of my VFT which were growing twisted are now growing normally. I am very happy with this recipe. Anyone else want to share?
smile.gif

There's another one that uses garlic. I mentioned that one to a gal in Canada and she used it. She still had the aphids, but no vampires have visited her. It hasn't helped with her social life, either.

Seriously, aside from the systemic stuff that has had side effects for some, drowning them in water works well for me and hasn't harmed the plants.

diddo jim.....i also prefer drowing the little b*stards!
smile_n_32.gif

But when that doesn't work, I've found a 1:1 solution of distilled water and 70% isopropanol works wonders without damaging most plants (including CPs). It seems to have just the right amount of alcohol to dessicate the bugs and to promote fast evaporation.

It works on everything (even slugs) and kills faster than a 10x solution of malathion! I'm not kidding....

Back