What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things that make you think a lil......

actually it doesnt bug me all that much. i am all for equal rights until someone trys to take away mine. personally i would like to see stricter punishment for violent offenders in OUR prison systems. do you remember that Swede who was kidnapped over in Iraq and escaped awhile back? turns out he hired some bounty hunters to hunt down and.....um... punish those that captured him. last i heard 2 or 3 of the kidnappers had been "taken care of", alot of his country men are denouncing him, personally i think he has the right idea. as far as letting the animals that beheaded americans "run free" where did you get that info. i would love to see it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]while there may be individual cases that are wrongly handled........Again, there will be cases where people get it wrong, and go overboard, and generally screw it up. But these are the principles behind these policies, and they are good ones, imo.

but if the law is clear why is this being allowed to happen? it shouldnt happen and that one of the main things thats wrong with our country. the courts take frivolous lawsuit serious and its wrecking things for the general public. athiest parents throwing fits and lawsuits around when religion is *DISCUSSED NOT TAUGHT* in a classroom setting. all these ppl hell bent on getting on TV or their names in the paper are destroying this country. the more i see the more i just want the government(local state AND especially federal) just to back off and let me live my life. i am not interested in their help in any way shape or form, they screw things up rather than makethem better

Could you provide any examples of the atheist parents throwing fits about religion being discussed?

As far as I know, the most inflamatory case recently has been an atheist parent objecting that his daughter was compelled to recite an oath to God in the pledge.

Capslock

im working on getting one of the newspapers done. if i have time after that but before i go home i will be happy to try and find it for you. i dont remember how recent it was though. wiether it was a couple months ago or longer.

btw i dont get that argument either, no one says she has to believe it or even say it. she can keep her mouth closed during that portion of the pledge, unfortunatly i think that requires to much common sence which really seems to be lacking these days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 12 2005,7:09)]There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq during January....

In the fair city of Detroit there were 35 murders in the month of January.

That's just one American city, about as deadly as the entire war torn country of Iraq.
That's a bad comparison.

39 KIA is just the US (or coalition?) killed... if you want to compare that to the 35 killed in Detroit, you'd have to include:

(a) All US and Coalition KIA and WIA (DOW)
(b) All Iraqi and foreign combat-related killed
© All politically-motivated killings in Iraq
(d) all pure, simple criminal killings (ie, murder/robbery)

Tally all those, and I'm sure you'll have a number far greater than 39.

To compare the 39 US/Coalition KIA in January to Detroit, it would be fairer to compare them to the number of policemen killed.

I'm sorry, but it's just totally inappropriate to ask public school kids to recite an oath to God every morning, even if you deem it "voluntary." You're asking a grade-schooler to conspicuously opt out in front of all his/her peers. It's wrong on every level.

Capslock <-- reminds all that this is friendly debate, not something that should divide us at all.

{sneaks in between press runs}------most grade school kids dont really care about that one line anyways so i dont see how it matters. if the kid knows enough to know the difference they can opt out, if not who really cares? i still say its the parents looking for attention and nothing more.

as to the friendly debate, i consider it nothing else. Bruce(herenorthere) and i are often on complete opposite sides of these types of debates on here. we are still friends and do alot of trading with each other.

hmmm everything im finding is in reguards the ACLU lawsuits(another worthless organization right up there with PETA) im wondering if its not one of the lawsuits that didnt go anywhere that i heard in passing on TV that was on a local level in Denver or LA(the two areas i get the networks from on satilite). reguardless if they went anywhere or not, i think the lawsuits themselves are idiotic and are taking money away from educating the kids.

Scott, second or third post in the tread points out that the number is wrong. and after i sat and thought about it im sure it is. last time did the same comparison i had to use 2 major cities to get similar numbers to the Iraq conflict. so i am 99.999% sure myself that the killed in Iraq number is wrong, however the other numbers look familiar enough to me that im pretty sure they are right.

i'm a member of the ACLU...

got my little card and everything lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as far as letting the animals that beheaded americans "run free" where did you get that info. i would love to see it.
that is exactly why people abuse prisoners and want to tourture them. Because they are "animals", they are "subhuman" and all that. Face it, they are HUMAN. other animals wouldn't do what those HUMANS do. (humans are also animals but that's beside the point)
and I never said they let them run free. That's exactly the point I was making. They DON'T let them run free, so saying that it is somehow wrong or "confusing" that terrorists beheading people (yes, people... americans aren't the only ones that count) is "troubling" and when they abuse prisoners it's a criminal act is just... ... for lack of a better word, wrong.

sorry Alpha, guess i didnt make myself clear. i was refering to those who did the beheading, and them ONLY, as animals. and your right i shouldnt have put americans, i should have used ppl instead. the reason i refer to them as animals is that they were beheading the ppl publicly just to behead them. they knew full well threatening, and following throught the beheading of those they kidnapped wasnt going to accomplish anything. it was their excuse. im sorry if you dissagree with me but they are nothing but worthless varmits in my eyes.

I know you meant the beheading guys, but they're still human and I still disagree on calling them animals.

well yeah i agree but they still deserve basic human right, even if they dont give them to other people.

well i guess we will just have to agree to disagree on that point. i am fully awhare of what the term means, and im sure you fully believe the way that you feel and i can really see that debate turning ugly fast. so.......mutual-disagreement?

sure, just telling you why I disagree :p as long as you don't terribly twist my words and stuff, it's fine.

mutually disagreed lol.

hey i like everyone i've ever had a debate/argument/disagreement with. as long as both people don't take it too seriously ( i hate ppl like that) it's all cool.

The reciting flag thing is volentary... LOL not in MY highschool. I get kicked out of class of i dont.

As for flagg burning, to sum up the sentements of my area: most supported our senator when he introduced a bill to make flag burning a crime.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]LOL not in MY highschool. I get kicked out of class of i dont.
complain to their higher ups. They shouldn't do that, and if you let them get away with it they'll keep doing it.

on the flag burning issue, even though i hate to see it, i do believe it is freedom of speach. i also think about it this way. by burning the flag a person is admitting that the flag is a very strong symbol which is more than the average joe probably does

smile.gif

Back