What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with this pic.

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
But african swallows are non-migratory! A european swallow could carry a seed perhaps, as it is much smaller than a coconut!

Funny, when European Swallow was mentioned I thought of Cynanchum rossicum not Hirundo rustica.  An English House Sparrow or the European Starling could very well be responsible. The English House Sparrows feed their nestlings insects and many have learned that CPs are a veritable buffet and happen to additionally be easy pickins. European Starlings like the small seed produced by the flowers. I do not believe it is inconceivable that a bird did this however it seems more likely a staff member did it.  I wish people would stop introducing non native plants to natural areas. I see the sedges and grasses there as well as the coniferous trees in the background. Looks as if they have some nice weeds too but doesn't everybody.

Wait a minute! Suppose two swallows carried it together?

That would be teamwork!

Reminds of when I went to Yosemite and observed what they had planted in front of the new hotel...daylilies, pansies...and...oh yes...they planted several non-native conifers(in a lawn of course!). I remember a blue spruce.

Always makes me wonder why with the natural enviroment people are so eager to put something that doesn't belong...why not enjoy the plants that were already their originally?
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ July 21 2005,11:22)]But african swallows are non-migratory! A european swallow could carry a seed perhaps, as it is much smaller than a coconut!
And how much does one weigh? What's your favourite colour?

One weighs about 4 oz. Thank you for asking my favorite color, it happens to be green.

Scene 1
[wind]
[clop clop clop]
King Arthur: Whoa there!
[clop clop clop]
Soldier #1: Halt! Who goes there?
Arthur: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!
Soldier #1: Pull the other one!
Arthur: I am, ...and this is my trusty servant Patsy. We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court at Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master.
Soldier #1: What? Ridden on a horse?
Arthur: Yes!
Soldier #1: You're using coconuts!
Arthur: What?
Soldier #1: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.
Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through--
Soldier #1: Where'd you get the coconuts?
Arthur: We found them.
Soldier #1: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
Arthur: What do you mean?
Soldier #1: Well, this is a temperate zone.
Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
Soldier #1: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.
Soldier #1: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
Soldier #1: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
Arthur: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?
Soldier #1: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
Arthur: Please!
Soldier #1: Am I right?
Arthur: I'm not interested!
Soldier #2: It could be carried by an African swallow!
Soldier #1: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow. That's my point.
Soldier #2: Oh, yeah, I agree with that.
Arthur: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!
Soldier #1: But then of course a-- African swallows are non-migratory.
Soldier #2: Oh, yeah...
Soldier #1: So, they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway...
[clop clop clop]
Soldier #2: Wait a minute! Supposing two swallows carried it together?
Soldier #1: No, they'd have to have it on a line.
Soldier #2: Well, simple! They'd just use a strand of creeper!
Soldier #1: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?
Soldier #2: Well, why not?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ July 21 2005,4:36)]One weighs about 4 oz. Thank you for asking my favorite color, it happens to be green.
No blue!

Laura, you're nutsier than me!

"Why she turned me into a newt!"

VILLAGER #1:
She has got a wart.
RANDOM:
[cough]
BEDEVERE:
What makes you think she is a witch?
VILLAGER #3:
Well, she turned me into a newt.

Well I now see that the entire conversation has been posted so my comment doesn't make much sense - sorry

~ Brett
smile_l_32.gif

Back