What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi im new

Hi, im new in the forum and having cp, i hope all go fine whit my plants, but i have a problem, and i want to ask us, i buy some plants, dioneas, pinguiculas and droseras, one schizandra come free!!, but i read they are very delicate and dificulty to keep, i see in many dioneas gnat larva, i put them in a trash can with water, in 1 day i see coming from the pot worms, gnat larva (a lot), and nematho somethig, white small worms, then i change the moss of 4 dioneas, i have in other terrarium 1 dionea, the pinguiculas and droseras, they look fine, what us tink is a good idea, change the moss to all or full them of water?, Hi to all and tks for u answers!!!

Hi welcome to the forum.

I don't really know about the problem with the worms.

With so many problems, I think I would remove all of the mix down to bare root and repot into fresh clean mix.  With so many living organisms it is more than likely the mix is contaminated by excess minerals and insect life that might harm the plants.

I would submerge the entire root ball in a bucket and gently swish it around until the mix comes free.  Support the base as well as hold the ball beneath the crown where the rosette is until the weight of the root ball is lessened, and then continue the process holding gently to the base of the plant until all traces of the former mix are off.  Trim off all dead material and repot into the appropriate mix for the species. If you don't know what the best mix is, address this question to the proper sub-forum for each species and the experts will help you with that.

Transplant time is also a good time to take leaf cuttings and start them in case the original plants die.

Drosera schizandra should be in long fiber sphagnum, and does best in gentle light, at least until good strong growth is noted.  This species also wants higher humidity than many Drosera species.

Most of the plants should be fine if you take care not to damage the root systems, although it might be a few weeks before they recover and make good new growth.  If you do decide to transplant, keep the newly transplanted plants out of direct sunlight and give higher humidity along with good air circulation if possible, but otherwise give good light.   If you grow in a closed container or terrarium setting, be alert to signs of mold and if it appears, decrease the humidity.  Do not feed transplants until new growth is obvious, and keep the roots from overheating by top watering with pure water a couple times a day during the hottest hours of the day.

Check the new pots frequently for signs of fungus gnats, etc since eggs may make the trip along with the plants.

Good luck, and welcome to Terra Forums!

Welcome.

And enjoy.

Hi Windplant

I think Tamlin has given sound advice so there is nothing left for me to do but welcome you to the forums!
smile.gif

I hope you stick around, learn a lot and have fun.

Suzanne/PAK

Hi, tks to all sure i stay here for ever!!! = ), but im just scared, abouth that worms, hope all go fine.

welcome! I see you're in mexico. cool! I'm from mexico.

Welcome!

Hi Wolf, cool were u live?, maybe we can share some seeds or plants, = ), here in mexico is dificult find cp. you talk spanish?.

well, i'm FROM mexico :p now I live in NC (USA).
I do SPEAK spanish but I dont' really like typing/writing spanish because my spelling sucks beyond belief. lol

Windplant, your English is great. Thank you so much for using what you have learned and thank you so much for trying so hard to post in English. I didn't realize you were able to read and write English so well. I just tried to respond to a post of yours in Spanish. Your English is much better than my Spanish. Keep up the good work! Your language is beautiful. It sounds so much nicer than English. So glad you have joined Terra.

Hi, i dont know what to say, = ), tks laura.

Again, you are welcome. I won't be typing posts in Spanish anymore though now that I know how good your English is. Adding all those accents is difficult for me because I don't do it all the time. I really do try to steer clear of other languages so as not to offend others who speak only English. You'll do just fine here at Terra. Post away!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ July 25 2005,12:42)]Again, you are welcome. I won't be typing posts in Spanish anymore though now that I know how good your English is.
Could be worse... you could be me and my futile attempts to remember how to write in French!
smile_m_32.gif

He he he, that was actually pretty funny Jim.  I remember when you did that.

I believe there were a few comments from the "peanut gallery"!
smile_n_32.gif

tamlin, exellent advice, as usual

Hi, ok, french?, i dont found that post.

Back