What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The troubles i get into

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    luck

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Like the title says, I keep getting myself into sticky situations while I'm looking for new CP sites. Today I got myself into a situation that could have turned ugly for the second time since I been home.
The first time was about two weeks after I moved back to NC. I would give the whole story here but it's a long story and I'll try to add it to a blog that I'm working on of all my cp trips. Anyway, I went down a road I have never been down and I saw a dirt road that looked like it could have cp's. I turned around and turned down the dirt road. I went for about 1/4 mile and It started getting a little sandy. I had my eyes in the woods looking for a spot to search, when I noticed that it all of a sudden the sand was deeper than I wanted to drive through. So I stopped put it in reverse but it wouldn't move. I was stuck. I got out to see how bad, it was pretty bad. I got my machete and try to dig the sand away from the tire. But it was no use.
So I made a call and got a couple of number for a tow truck. I made a call to one of them. I told them where I was and the guy all of a sudden said, I'm sorry but I don't have time today, to go pull you out. I called the next two on the list. As soon as I told them where I was they all made an excuse and told me they couldn't pull me out. I called about 15 tow truck companies and I was turned down by all of them. So I called somebody I knew and asked if they knew somebody with a 4 wheel drive. She said no, but she would make some calls for me. She called me back and told me that a tow truck driver would be calling me. He call and I told him where I was and he said "We don't go down that road at all." I asked why and he said "Well we've and some trouble down that road." I asked "What kind of trouble?" He said "Well I don't want to get into it over the phone, but I'll call my dispatcher and see if I'm allowed to go get you." So he hung up and I sit there thinking about what kind of trouble they have had. A few minutes later he called back and said he was sorry but he wasn't allowed to pull me out. I asked "Can you at least tell me what why you can't come down this road?" He said "It's a very bad neighborhood."
To make a long story short, and I'm leaving out the worst part of this story, but I found a guy a few miles away that had never heard of the road I was on. He told me it would be better for you if you called somebody closer. I told him that if he would pull me out I'll be glad to pay a little extra. He showed up and the first thing he said was, I don't know if you know this or not but this is a really bad neighborhood. I said "Yeah I kind of figured that out." I was there for about four or five hours. I found out later that I was in a very bad crack area.

Now for what happened today.
I was again riding down a road that I had never been down. But this time I knew what was down the road though, an Island called Crusoe. I have always heard stories about he people that lived there. To put it simply, there is one way into Crusoe, and if the people there don't know you, they will block your way out and I'm sure you can fill in the rest.
Here's two sites I found that tell a little about Crusoe.

http://www.ncsu.edu/linguistics/code/Research%20Sites/crusoe.htm

http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/12824/places/28842/

Anyway, I had no plans on driving onto the island. I was looking to see if I could find a road that connected me to Hwy 211 in the Green swamp. Well I pasted a church that said Crusoe Baptist Church, so I knew I was very close to the island. The road then made a sharp curve. Just after the curve, I saw a unique looking snake that had been killed in the road. There was no much of a shoulder beside the road so I part with my tires still on the pavement. The road had no traffic so I wasn't really worried about being beside the road like that. I walked back to the snake and took a pic. I heard a noise, toward my van. I turned and looked but didn't see anything. So I took another pic. I then decided I would hurry back to my van and get on my way. As I was walking up to my van I realized it wasn't in the same place I parked it. As I said I left it with two tires still on the pavement. Now those two tires was a foot from the road and the other two were in the ditch. I looked at it and thought that I could still drive out, so I went to open the door, it was locked. The keys were still in the ignition and the van was running, and I was low on gas.
confused.gif

I knew I had to think of something really fast. There was a few houses around, but I decided that it was best if I didn't ask for help. There was no way I could get into the van without breaking a window. I spent about a minute trying to think what I was going to do. Then a car came around the curve and pulled into a dirt road right beside me. I thought, oh no here we go. A women about 25 got out and asked me what happened. I explained, then I saw a guy walking from a house towards me. She said his name, but I forgot and said maybe he can help you. He got there and asked what happened. I explained again. He said he would go get a clothes hanger and we would get the door opened. He went back to his house and then a truck pulled up and parked at his house. The first guy drove back to my van on a lawn mower. He had the clothes hanger and a pair of pliers. We went to work on trying to get the door opened. Then the guy that was in the truck walked over. As we were working on the door he was asking me questions like, where are you from, what are you doing down here, and things like that. I then asked him, How far am I from Crusoe?, he said this is it. I then realized I was in Crusoe, and not just near it. I laughed and said "You guys sure aren't like what I've heard. He didn't say anything.
Well I finally got the door unlocked with the clothes hanger and I looked at the gas gauge and it was all the way on E. I turned the AC off. and put it in reverse to see if I could get it out. I barley got it out of the ditch, but I did.
I got out and went up to the guy shook his hand and said "Thank you so much, How much do I owe you?" He said " You don't owe me anything, just hurry up and get the the gas station before you run out of gas." It was about 5 miles to the closest gas station, and I was already on E. I drove really slow to the gas station and I made it without running out of gas.
Does anybody else have luck like I do? I'm like that song by Lynyrd Skynyrd, "When a black cat cross my trail, lord, they come in pairs of twos."

lmao! your my hero oz!

That really sucks Mark,but I'm glad you're ok and everything worked out.~Niki~
smile.gif

The bad thing is I think the snake that was killed was a hognose. I love hognoses. I got the pics, I'll try and get them online today.

That sucks Ozzy,I'm sorry
smile_h_32.gif
~Niki~

How much did the tow in the first story cost you?

When I was in New Mexico, I got stuck in the sand, and it cost a ton think it was close to $150 to get me out. And last year I was driving through a wetland here, I was probably 4 miles of winding road into the wetland.. It's 1600 acres.. And the road isn't wide enough for two-way traffic in some areas. A car came from the other direction, we could have both made it, but he didn't move far enough over, it was about a 18" straight drop off the side of the road into a swamp, needles to say my hyundai accent wasn't able to get itself out.. Plus the guy didn't stop, so a friend and I where stranded out there.. No phone, no houses.. We started walking about 2 miles later a guy stopped and gave us a ride, but again the charged a ton for going into that area. There is only a few places you can pull off, and the driver had to drive backwards from the nearest parking area inorder to get to my car..

The first tow cost me $80. Well worth it.

How did the car get moved? o_O

The only thing I can figure out is the ground gave way under the van, causing it to slide sideway, until the ditch bank stopped it.

Ozzy, it sounds like you need a 4-wheel drive, a come-a-long, a spare set of keys, and a sawed-off shotgun -- not necessarily in that order.

Ok here is the pics of the snakes. Can anybody tell me if I'm right on my guess?

14132270O880394578.jpg

14132322O123332464.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ July 25 2005,7:35)]Ozzy, it sounds like you need a 4-wheel drive, a come-a-long, a spare set of keys, and a sawed-off shotgun -- not necessarily in that order.
Bob, I'm way ahead of you, I'm looking for a good 4-wheel drive, And I'm planning on buying an electric winch, I already have a .45, 9mm and an AK-47. I don't have a problem locking the keys in the car, I left the van running, I never locked the door. I really can't explain why the doors locked. But the computers in the newer vehicles they sometimes have a mind of their own.

What's an electric winch?Maybe a ghost locked the doors
smile_k_ani_32.gif
As for the snake,I don't know,I don't know snakes very well,but from the pics you showed me of hognoses it kinda looks like one,but what do I know.Sorry
smile_h_32.gif
~Niki~

That guess about it being dead is 100% right.

you want me to guess off of that? first impression is cottonmouth or possibally one of the water snake look alikes down that way......i dont have a book on eastern US snakes, just western US. anyways my ranking is in likely order is:

#1 cottonmouth
#2 one of the Nerodia(water snake) species
#3 eastern hognose

if i knew what the belly patern is supposed to be on any of these i could probably nail it down better

It's the belly patteren that makes me think it's an e. hognose, we have S.hognoses here too, but I think it's an eastern. If the head wasn't messed up it would be easy to id.

yeah problem is all 3 i listed have the same build and more or less same coloring. with the head all messed up its hard to tell and im not terribly familiar with eastern US snakes. actually the first thing that poped into my head was eastern hog, after i studied the pics a bit more i had my doubts as to my original gut feeling. but in all reality any of them are just as likely as the other.

One thing that got me and leads a little more towards Hognose, is it was very short compared to the build. It was only about 2 ft long, but it was a large build. I know that cottonmouths and watersnakes have large builds too, but they tend to be longer.

well, I couldn't ID it but it doesn't really look like it had a nose like a hognosed snake... not to me anyway.

Back