What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pc

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
Well, I got my new pc. So far I like it. I have to get use to Windows xp. I know what everybody is going to say but I like Windows ME.
Anywahy I got a eMachines T6522.

Congrats!~Niki~

I have two eMachines, I've had then for about 2 years and love them. I don't think you can beat them for the price.

-Jeremiah-

well.. u have made this an impossible question to answer..

u say u wnat a good relible computer..

u say u dont want a Mac...

therefore...u must not want a good reliable computer..

Go Mac for go to the computer service store very often

Long live the Mac

thanks

BRad

Mac OS is too simple. I hate it. Avoid Dell at all costs, their computers are like McDonalds, bad computers served by the millions. Alienware and Voodoo rule IMO.

I never really got why people cared about computer brands... unless it's Apple it's just someone putting some stuff together for you. If you really need customer service, then that's probably your highest priority here. Other than that it's all just parts. If something breaks it doesn't have much to do with the brand, unless they're cheating you with cheap components. All of these things can be replaced or upgraded. The OS certainly doesn't care who built your computer, and literally 95% of your problems will be the fault of Microsoft whatever your computer brand.

Some problems with buying a big brand computer are A) if a part is faulty you have to have them replace it for you (even the easy-to-replace ones) or else you void your warranty... and B) you probably won't get any information on what's actually in your computer, so if you ever have to reinstall the OS (after the warranty has expired) it's a pain to figure out all the hardware drivers you need (which may or may not be on one of the CDs they give you). I think there are some companies that will void your warranty just for opening the thing up and taking a look.

I do really like the Dell cases that never require a screwdriver and everything is color-coded, but it's not like I couldn't find one of those somewhere anyway.

I guess if you really want things to work perfectly, get some geek to build something out of all the best components for you. Then use them for tech support.
smile.gif

Computer brands matter. Computers with the same specifications may have different performance capabilities depending on the type and quality of components. There are computer brands that definately beat out others in quality and perfomance. Dell doesn't even carry half the components Alienware computers offer. They use the numbers to reel you in, but the components are cheap.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I got my new pc. So far I like it. I have to get use to Windows xp. I know what everybody is going to say but I like Windows ME.
By the way, you can make XP look basically like ME. I don't like the default way XP displays things either.

I too am in the midst of a computer purchase and now more than ever, I'm coming around to the belief that brand does matter. I'm typing right now on a Dell laptop - 1.5 years old, 3.06 GHz P4, 512 mb RAM, FX Go5200 with 64 mb VRam, 60 Gb Hard drive for $1,200- with some major flaws. While on paper, those specs seemed nice 1.5 years ago, they didn't all come together well. I have some major graphics issues that new drivers haven't fixed and my burner is far from perfect. The last time I called tech support, I vowed never to call again since "Jack" in India was reading out of a book I can find online if I looked hard enough. Then again, if I've gotten myself into a situation requiring the OEM's support, I know I'm in pretty big trouble anyway which a phone call will not be able to solve. If support is the big issue (which I don't see it as since it's all useless unless you get a techie at your door) look at the smaller companies which will charge you a premium for their small-store-feel™. I'm still undecided about Dell because my current computer was a major bargain and definitely delivered where it needed to... but the computers required by gamers (though I am not one) and assembled by companies like Alienware are sooo tempting (but have their own horror story sites). So where am I going with this...? I have no idea.

Hope you enjoy your new computer.

~ Brett

Ozzy, I don't think you could have picked a better computer for your money without building it yourself and even then it would have been hard. Unless you are a gamer, that system will be faster than you need. You can set up Windows XP to look a lot like ME and I would not recommend ME. And if you are a gamer you can get a better video card because apparently it has PCI-E 16x.

Go Brad!!  lol  
laugh.gif

BTW Ozman...how you liking that PC now?
smile_l_32.gif

Well, I've had a couple of problems. I have called the main office and had it out with some dude there. I came very very close to taking this pc back.
It's a great pc. But Emachine needs to work on their customer service. They need to realize that the customer should be their priority. For a restore disk I was given blank cd's and told to make my own.
I can't even run the new version of aim. As soon as it connects it shuts down. I connected with customer service on line and they told me to do some things. When I tried it asked for windows XP professional disk. I don't even have that version, I have XP media center. Figure that one out.
I connected again and they told me that I needed to delete Windows xp service pack 2 (I think that's what it's called) I went to delete it and it's not even on my list of software. I downloaded an older version of Aim and it works fine.
So there customer service is about as usless as the first pc I ever owned, with it's mind blowing 8 mhz processor, is to me now. I still have another week to decide if I want to return it.
I think I'll send a complaint to planetfeedback.com.

Back